PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tom Brady signs 3-year extension with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gangsta-thug wannabes over on the Ravens boards trying to spin it that Brady hasnt done a thing at all worthy of respect and is somehow coming away with more money.

Tom Brady Extension - Page 2 - Other NFL Teams - Ravens Official Message Board

I think Id rather have had the Giants win another..

Reading them trying to justify Joe "close your eyes and pray" Flacco putting the franchise at risk, demanding 20+ per year, forcing multiple teammates out of town essentially, meanwhile GOAT Tom effing Brady takes a massive pay cut for the time to win is high comedy.

Man these guys are buffoons. I'm not sure I've ever met an intelligent Ravens fans. It's actually honestly pretty scary what the average IQ must be in Baltimore.

$33/m a year? Isn't that a little more than Gisele makes? Now he can piss farther than she does and take the family pants back.

Is there a rule against top players getting paid at the league minimum if they choose? Is there anything stated within union rules.

Would the league and the union be fine if Brady, Wilfork, Mankins and Mayo all signed at half-price or even at league minimum?

We can make believe that this is all silly if we wish. The issue is serious. Would the situation be different if Brady accepted a league minimum contract? Why? or why not?

The team got at least a $30M reduction in possible compensation. Brady received an injury guarantee. That is a very expensive insurance policy.

Is there a rule against top players getting paid at the league minimum if they choose? Is there anything stated within union rules.

Would the league and the union be fine if Brady, Wilfork, Mankins and Mayo all signed at half-price or even at league minimum?

We can make believe that this is all silly if we wish. The issue is serious. Would the situation be different if Brady accepted a league minimum contract? Why? or why not?

The team got at least a $30M reduction in possible compensation. Brady received an injury guarantee. That is a very expensive insurance policy.
I always wondered this, but more for basketball as that is more realistic given the superstars get endorsements out the butt.

However I'm pretty sure the owners can agree if something is detrimental to the league in creating a super team. But it would have to be akin to watt, Calvin, Andre Johnson, ap, Jared Allen, and Willis all going to the patriots on one year, 2 million dollar deals. We all saw how the eagles super team did. It would have to be egregiously blatant and unfair advantage.

It is entertaining to think about though.

I always wondered this, but more for basketball as that is more realistic given the superstars get endorsements out the butt.

However I'm pretty sure the owners can agree if something is detrimental to the league in creating a super team. But it would have to be akin to watt, Calvin, Andre Johnson, ap, Jared Allen, and Willis all going to the patriots on one year, 2 million dollar deals. We all saw how the eagles super team did. It would have to be egregiously blatant and unfair advantage.

It is entertaining to think about though.

The issue's not serious. When some elite players start actually doing it, then it will be serious. Until then, it's a joke.

There's nothing the league would do to prevent a player from taking less money than they could've received.

It's happenned in all sports.
Arguably Brady already did it once (to a smaller extent). Moss may have taken 1-2 million less. when he re-signed. Brusci, Rodney, etc etc didn't try to max out.

Lebron did so in joining the heat --a significant amount less than if he resigned with the Cavs -- and also less than if he got the max contract.

Ray Allen just took about half as much to leave the Celts and join the Heat.

Teamu Selane and Paul Kariya took a good amount less as a pair deal to join an already stacked Avalanche team.

The only thing I'd imagine the league intervening is if we signed brady to a 60 million, 10 year extension with vet min salaries for all 10 years and the rest as a signing bonus. That kind of contract would basically be a way to circumvent the cap -- if you assume cap rises over time --happenned in the nhl before the nhl started preventing it.

So I'm banned. Can someone please post this reply to these idiots?

NFL Forum :: - Patriots,Tom Brady agree on three-year,$27 million extension

1. Brady had a 21 million dollar cap hit over the next two years.
2. Every fan in New England would have been in arms if Kraft/Belichick didn't pay him in two years baring his arm falling off
3. The Patriots NEEDED Brady to restructure to manage the cap
4. Brady had all the leverage
5. Brady could have easily demanded it restructured to 5 years 100 million
6. Brady could have easily waited it out and then signed a 4 year, 80 million dollar deal with some desperate team in two years

Brees, Rodgers, Peyton and even guys like Flacco have enough money already to last them multiple life times living luxuriously comfortably. Heck Peyton, Rodgers and Brees could never play another snap, tear up their current contracts and live off their endorsement/sponsership deals for 500 years.

Regardless of this FACT, Brees, Peyton and Flacco all have/are demanding franchise crippling size contracts that seriously limit their teams options. Peyton spurned the Niners who were CLEARLY head and shoulders better than the Broncos because the Niners couldn't offer him the money the Broncos were able to blow on him.

If Peyton truly cared about winning he would have gone to the Niners.
If Flacco truly cared about winning he wouldn't be asking for 20+ a year (and really given his talent in a vacuum, he is not worth anywhere near that).
Brees? He completely and singlehandedly destroyed the Saints and they are doomed for the next 5 years because of him.

Haters going to hate, but it's absolutely insane how much bias people have against Brady. If this were Peyton, Brees, or Rodgers we'd hear nothing but how great they are by these very same people who are ripping Brady and trying to diminish what he's done.

Dont give me this crap about how Brady has made a lot of money and his wife makes a lot of money. Brees, Rodgers and Peyton will never have any issue with money. They are set for life. Brady took a massive pay cut for the soul benefit of his team.

Brady's extension was agreeing to more guaranteed money and a max value of 3 years, 27 million. Mark freaking Sanchez got 3 years 40 million dollar extension. Any neanderthal with half a brain can see Brady could have asked for a LOT more money.

The issue's not serious. When some elite players start actually doing it, then it will be serious. Until then, it's a joke.

It's an exercise of "what-if", that obviously hasn't happened. That's like me saying "what if the NFL added 4 teams, how would the playoffs look?" and your response being "IT HASNT HAPPENED TO ITS NOT AN ISSUE DONT ASK IT, ITS JUST A THEORETICAL, NOT SERIOUS".

Thank you for completely missing the point.

It's an exercise of "what-if", that obviously hasn't happened. That's like me saying "what if the NFL added 4 teams, how would the playoffs look?" and your response being "IT HASNT HAPPENED TO ITS NOT AN ISSUE DONT ASK IT, ITS JUST A THEORETICAL, NOT SERIOUS".

Thank you for completely missing the point.

I didn't miss the point, and it is a joke.

When I first heard the news of the extention I was over the moon overjoyed. Tom Brady at 9 million a year? How the hell did we get so lucky? The more I think about it and hear the full details I see it isn't exactly what I thought at first. Its closer to Tom Brady at 15 million a year, which is still a great deal but not the unreal totally unselfish deal I was originally awed over.

Bill graduated with a degree in economics and understands the salary cap better then most. I think people get too hung up on the numbers of how big a deal is. 15 million, 20 million, 25 million... none of those matter as Kraft could afford, if he wanted, to pay Brady 50 million a year. He never would because he is a business man and wants to make money but the amount of cash does not matter. What really matters is the percentage of cap each player takes up.

Right now and for the next couple of years the cap is about 120 million. In a perfect world each player would take up 1.8% of the cap or 2.1 million dollars. Now lets talk real world, Tom Brady is obviously more important Marcus Cannon and rightly so deserves more money as he is a larger percentage of the Patriots winning. The question is how much larger a percentage? It is my opinion an elite QB is worth 10 - 15% of the cap. Somebody like Welker, Vince, Mayo is 7 -8%.

Having said that I believe Bill views the cap simularly to the way I do. He also has people who project the cap and see how much money he has to work with. The way the cap had been going it would not have been a strech to assume it would have, left unchecked, been 140 - 150 million this year. Working with that you can see why Brady was getting 22 and 25 million a year, it fits with the percentage of the cap. Now with a firm cap it is, again my opinion, that Bill went to Brady and said we have to get you down to the right percentage and having negotiated that way before Brady agreed to it. 15 million on a 120 million cap works out to 1/8th of the cap a much more agreeable number then 1/6th of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes