PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tom Brady signs 3-year extension with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
They've got enough money between them to burn it in the fireplace instead of bothering to buy logs. For Brady, his pay must be more of a symbolic thing than actually finding a use for it.

Brady will be an owner of this franchise not long after retiring not sure what % but him building in Brookline in the Krafts neighborhood tells me he is Tom Brady-Kraft.

The Patriots had $18mm in cap room prior to this move.
They add $7 or $8mm.
Waters technically counts for $2mm, but that will probably disappear.
So the Patriots have in the range of $25mm-$30mm in cap space.

They can easily sign Welker, Vollmer, and Talib, should they choose to, or sign comparable replacements with that space.

Further, now Mallett is available in a terrible draft year for QB's. Teams can consider Barkley or Smith, when they would probably need to use a mid first to ensure getting them, or trading a second for Mallett. Mallett was drafted with a third, and has worked with Tom Brady for two years. He's been a model citizen and teammate - the one knock that pushed him down to the third round. He should be worth more than - or at least a comparable value to - Barkley and Smith. And the Patriots should be happy with a second - or a comparable mix of third's and fourth's or fifth's - thus potentially filling the hole in the Patriot's draft.

This probably also increases the chances that Belichick stays around those five years as well.

What a tremendous guy Tom Brady is. And how fortunate are we all that he dropped into our lap in the sixth round.

So, you're a Jets fan, right?

************, how did you read what I wrote to say that Brady is overpaid or that he is an awful evil person for not taking even less money and donating everything he owns to charity?

There are a variety of reasons he can't. The first of which is that I'm pretty sure that the 27 million "extension" is effectively spreading some of the money out from the last 2 years of his current contract. Also, you are assuming that the 27 million in the final 3 seasons will be all salary. My guess is that it's probably not.

Unless the extension gives him the same total amount as his current contract but payed out over an additional 3 seasons, effectively taking no additional salary for the next 3 seasons, that doesn't answer my question.

Brady is part of a Union. They have rules. And there are also rules called the CBA.

Are there rules that prevent a player from signing a contract that pays them less than market value?

Sorry, but I don't believe that you are "legitimately curious as to why he plays for anything other than the vet minimum". I think this is you living in la la land.

I just want to know if there are contract rules that prevent Brady and other players from doing taking drastically less money than they are worth, if I'm underestimating the value of ~27 million dollars to person with a net worth 4x that amount and many more income sources, if rings and a place in history just aren't as important to players as I thought they were, or if there is some other reason why people with unfathomable wealth don't turn down more money to improve their chances at winning the one thing they can't buy, a SB ring. If you can't give me real reason why my question doesn't deserve a real answer don't bother replying.

In a world where "I'm a team player until my last big contract comes up and I hold out" Brees and "I don't know how good I'll actually be coming of 3x neck surgeries" Manning have this kind of contract you seriously complaining about him taking this deal? Let's say he takes the vet minimum and we'd have Spygate all over again. Honestly there isn't a QB that I'd rather see lead this team than Tom Brady. We have one of the greatest of all time as our QB and you still see his eagerness to win. If that 4th ring shows up there shouldn't be a question who is the GOAT.

I'm not complaining, I'm very thankful to have Tom and glad that he signed this extension but I don't see how taking vet minimum would bring about Spygate all over again.

I think it has to do with a number of things. First other people rely on Brady's contract for income other than just him and the costs associated with Brady playing football from trainers, travel, etc. Second he is a great player and certainly wants to be compensated as one. Third Brady has 3 kids that will someday likely have kids, I'm sure he wants to provide on a larger scale. I can go on and on but all in all compensation is usually the way most justify their value and self esteem in life I think this deal allows for all parties to benefit and Brady is very humble to agree to it.

Thank you for giving me a real answer without dismissing the legitimacy of the question.

i swear, if i didnt love women so much i'd go gay for this man.

Hes just such an awesome person, and clearly understands that this isnt just a "business" Brady knows Kraft puts everything he can into the team, and in order to keep the players brady wants with him brady is willing to sacrifice.

Brady truely is in a class above all others.

I appreciate that Brady signed such a cheap extension but if he is so committed to helping the team and winning another ring why doesn't he sign for veteran minimum? He already has made more money than he and his family could possibly spend for several lifetimes and his wife is worth 2x that amount. The Brady family could live lavishly off perpetuities from interest, investments, and endorsements and still end up with more money at the end of the year.

We already know Brady is insanely competitive and that winning more rings is incredibly important to him and his place in history. Therefore, why doesn't he play for peanuts and free up even more cap space to improve his chances? He will have the rest of his life to amass more wealth by investing the money he already has but he will only be able to compete for a ring for roughly 4-5 more years. I would think that winning another superbowl or two and going down as the greatest and most successful quarterback in history would be worth more than any amount of money considering the fortune he already has.

I'm not bitter or mad at Brady, I'm just legitimately curious why he plays for anything over vet minimum when it would be almost guaranteed that he wins at least one more superbowl if we could put his salary towards paying a big name FA and still get all the other FAs we need.

Stay focused on your Jets
They need fans

************, how did you read what I wrote to say that Brady is overpaid or that he is an awful evil person for not taking even less money and donating everything he owns to charity?

I read the entire post. I noticed, too, a first-ever post made by someone actually pulling a "minimum salary" point out of his/her backside when an elite QB had just done something that's essentially unprecedented and taken a $7 million dollar (or more) per season haircut when it wasn't needed.

You'll forgive us all if we wonder which team you actually cheer for.....

Now.... Jets?

I read the entire post. I noticed, too, a first-ever post made by someone actually pulling a "minimum salary" point out of his/her backside when an elite QB had just done something that's essentially unprecedented and taken a $7 million dollar (or more) per season haircut when it wasn't needed.

You'll forgive us all if we wonder which team you actually cheer for.....

Now.... Jets?

If you think I'm a Jets fan attacking Tom Brady you need to think about what I'm asking a little more because you could ask the same question about every wealthy player in the league.

Re: Expiration Date February 2018

Brady has at most a two year window to win his 4th SB. That is assuming he stays healthy, which is questionable for a guy who lost an entire season 4 seasons ago, and spent the following year recovering in place. :)

I think it may be heresy to say I thought he was aging this past season. Nevertheless he has progressively lost the ability to accurately complete the deep pass, over time and it shows. Opponents are taking advantage of it too, even worse.:yield:

In two years, I expect him to start spliting time with his nominal successor.:(

If you think I'm a Jets fan attacking Tom Brady you need to think about what I'm asking a little more because you could ask the same question about every wealthy player in the league.

I know what you're asking.

Ravens?

they used to just log on as arrogant Jet braggers...but since buttfumble one clearly sees not a green handle in sight...for months....BUT...these "I'm a Patriots fan but.." fans have suddenly filled the gap...just as I delineated months ago...the best part is they pull the faux outrage when confronted and thank anybody that treats them like they actually are Pats fans...the point is, no Pats fans would ever come up with such a nutcase, whackjob take like this "new Pats fan!!!"...notice how many times this idiot clamors about "rules!!!!!"..."aren't there rules against this????"...how long before he launches into a "we're
proven cheaters and Spygate is still behind all this and Goodell will let the Pats, er...our Pats, get away with it!!!!"

How's that azz taste, Rat fan????

205468_2552212542114_920459210_n.jpg

Unless the extension gives him the same total amount as his current contract but payed out over an additional 3 seasons, effectively taking no additional salary for the next 3 seasons, that doesn't answer my question.

It does answer your question. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean that it doesn't answer the question.

Are there rules that prevent a player from signing a contract that pays them less than market value?

In the Union rules? Probably. Not to mention that he doesn't want to necessarily hurt other QBs majorly.

Do yourself a favor, go read the CBA.

I just want to know if there are contract rules that prevent Brady and other players from doing taking drastically less money than they are worth, if I'm underestimating the value of ~27 million dollars to person with a net worth 4x that amount and many more income sources, if rings and a place in history just aren't as important to players as I thought they were, or if there is some other reason why people with unfathomable wealth don't turn down more money to improve their chances at winning the one thing they can't buy, a SB ring. If you can't give me real reason why my question doesn't deserve a real answer don't bother replying.

First off, that isn't what you asked originally. And you got a LEGITIMATE answer to what you asked. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it wasn't a real one.

You want a "REAL" reason as to why your question doesn't deserve a real answer? Because it shows how naive you are to the workings of the real world. It shows a lack of understanding of Unions and of the NFLPA Union more specifically. It shows you've not done a lick of reading of the CBA. Furthermore, you've already changed your "intent" at least once. Who is to say you won't change it again just because you don't like the response you get.

So happy to read about this. Would love a storybook ending to an illustrious career where he plays for only one team.

His whole career has been storybook..

Good stuff, guarantees he retires as a Patriot after a long and illustrious career...

Of course it's completely unfair to extend this approach to Welker, Vollmer, and Talib. Talib and Vollmer are just coming off their rookie contracts, and Welker was underpaid due to his circumstances. Brady is coming off over $100mm in earnings.

It may encourage them not to push for the last $100K, but not to take 50% of their market value in their cases.

Thoughts...

I'd like to thank Gisele for her role as family breadwinner so that Tom could do this

It shows how much Tom values winning another ring...and the value that would bring to his legacy. Being anointed GOAT in America's mega popular sport is priceless.

And as many of us have said, it was likely done with the understanding the "Return of the Hobbit" will play through the summer, into the fall...

What a leadership by example tone this sets. I wish other alleged leaders would show such leadership.

if the entire thing is guaranteed, then it makes no sense at all.......guaranteeing 29M for years 39 and 40?

I guess I'll believe it when I see it, but Ilike the 1st 3 years guaranteed.....all 5 years guaranteed really screws this team if he can't go to the end

Candidate for dumbest post of the year! Remember the Pats pre-Brady.

Of course it's completely unfair to extend this approach to Welker, Vollmer, and Talib. Talib and Vollmer are just coming off their rookie contracts, and Welker was underpaid due to his circumstances. Brady is coming off over $100mm in earnings.

It may encourage them not to push for the last $100K, but not to take 50% of their market value in their cases.

Absolutely.
Those guys have limited years and really do need to feed their families. It does send the message to them that all things equal a couple hundred K more elsewhere after 50% taxes is less important than daily job satisfaction with a winner. The opposite thinking of The Vinitrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots