PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Tom Brady signs 3-year extension with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
:D

how incredible is that??

Make sense. As a certain Jets troll once informed us, Tom Brady is declining rapidly while Sanchez's ceiling is limitless.

I disagree w/ Ken, because I think Brady will age well.

• Foot speed? Should only decline, as it were, slowly. ;)
  • Agility? That's more brains than actual body in his case. Should only decline slowly.
  • Nerves/yips? He already got them a bit. He could get slightly better from here as easily as he could get slightly worse.
  • Arm strength? Pure strength is the last thing to go.
  • Recovery time from hits? Not really the biggest point for an iron-man QB. Rather, QBs need the skill to stay deadly accurate even when their body is impaired.
  • Personality, leadership, etc. -- he's already transitioned to being the superior elder who still connects well with his troops, rather than just one of the guys. He already works SLIGHTLY less hard than when he had fewer wives and children. No reason to expect change.

So the Pats will be players this offseason whether it is retaining their own or making a splash in free agency. I don't think the Pats would free up this much cap room and stand still.

Kudos to the team and Brady for virtually assuring that Brady will retire a Patriot and not just on one of those one day contract things.

-Jets, Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Redskins, Giants, and pretty much every relevant team besides the Bengals are all in cap jail and/or aging across the board
The Colts are in the exact opposite of cap jail.

I disagree w/ Ken, because I think Brady will age well.

• Foot speed? Should only decline, as it were, slowly. ;)
  • Agility? That's more brains than actual body in his case. Should only decline slowly.
  • Nerves/yips? He already got them a bit. He could get slightly better from here as easily as he could get slightly worse.
  • Arm strength? Pure strength is the last thing to go.
  • Recovery time from hits? Not really the biggest point for an iron-man QB. Rather, QBs need the skill to stay deadly accurate even when their body is impaired.
  • Personality, leadership, etc. -- he's already transitioned to being the superior elder who still connects well with his troops, rather than just one of the guys. He already works SLIGHTLY less hard than when he had fewer wives and children. No reason to expect change.

Brady's strength is the mental part of the game. Although his decision making will slow a bit with age, it typically isn't the mental QBs who decline quickly. Look at many of the elite guys and a lot of the ones who broke down early were guys who relied on physical attributes.

As long as Brady stays healthy, he has as good a shot as any QB to play at a high level into his 40s.

Can some please put Felger the DB in Cap Jail......

I understand your point, and you're correct but not entirely for the right reasons. Contracts often don't pay you what you're worth at the end of the contract, it's overpaying the end of the contract to get you under contract when you actually are worth it. It's like in baseball and hockey where those mega long deals are almost never close to correct value at the end of the contract.

Brady took a mega paycut. But it's not necessarily even because he'd be playing at a 2007 level in 2017.

But Manning just signed his deal last year at age 36. Manning isn't making $20 million per year because he is being overpaid for prior production in a long-term contract. He just signed his deal last year. But for this extension, Brady would would have become a free agent one year older than Manning was when he signed his deal. If Manning commanded a 5-year deal with 3years/$60 million essentially vested with a major neck issue at age 36, what do you think Brady would have gotten in the exact same position if he'd wanted to test the FA market at age 37? If Brady hit the market in 2014, there is little doubt he would have made considerably more than $9 million a year.

Also, don't forget that 2014 is the first year the cap will start to significantly increase, so teams would have more money to play with in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

You're treating this as though the comps are overpays from long term contracts. That's not the Manning situation at all, and I don't think anyone would disagree that Manning is a legitimate comp for Brady, even at age 36 or 37.

Uggs must have given TB a helluva raise :)

Can some please put Felger the DB in Cap Jail......

27684117_.jpg

We're going to lock you up in the Federal Reserve!

Re: King: Brady signs contract to make him "Patriot for life"

Looks like I found my new signature text; from king:

For the second time in his illustrious career, Brady is doing something players in this day and age simply do not do: As he did in 2005, Brady, a league source told SI.com, is signing a contract with New England that will pay him significantly less money than the market will bear, in large part to help the Patriots stay competitive for the next five seasons.

Read More: Tom Brady, New England Patriots agree on three-year extension - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

Brady is simply AWESOME! He could have demanded twice that much money in an extension but instead he took less for the good of the team. Brady just wants to WIN! BB put this money to good use!!

Ok so how much cap room does that mean we have this year with the extra room Brady has freed up?

Also, Mallet is either taking the Steve Young route, or it's clear as day he is not the next in line to be the Patriots QB.

One bad thing about this deal is that it means that the Ravens may not have to spend as much to franchise Flacco. Brady's change in salary will affect Flacco's tender number if he gets the exclusive rights franchise tag which they are rumored to be considering. They may get a couple of million in cap space because of the Brady deal if they have to franchise Flacco.

Can't they also restructure Willfork and Mankins for even more cap space?

Wow. Hell of a deal for the Pats - Brady absolutely put his money were his mouth was, as far as wanting to win multiple more SBs. Hope the rest of the team is up to the task.

Maybe this is the domino that gets Welker re-signed?

Can't they also restructure Willfork and Mankins for even more cap space?

The risk with Mankins would be that you'd probably have to guarantee more of the tail end of his contract and/or add more years, which I'd think they'd be hesitant to do for a guy who is on the wrong side of 30, has shown some decline in his play, and has been a bit injury-prone lately.

A couple of the same concerns would exist for Wilfork (longer commitment to a player who is by no means young), but the main difference being that Wilfork is still at the top of his game and hasn't shown any durability concerns at all.

To quote the late great Whitney Houston "And I will always love YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!"

Ok so how much cap room does that mean we have this year with the extra room Brady has freed up?

Our friend Jason had Brady at a cap figure of $21.8 million for this season, and this extension drops that down to $13.8 million, so the deal adds $8 million in cap space for this year -- as well as more (about $7 million I believe) for the 2014 season.

Last edited:
One bad thing about this deal is that it means that the Ravens may not have to spend as much to franchise Flacco. Brady's change in salary will affect Flacco's tender number if he gets the exclusive rights franchise tag which they are rumored to be considering. They may get a couple of million in cap space because of the Brady deal if they have to franchise Flacco.

sounds like this create an odd situation where the exclusive rights tag is cheaper than the regular tag unless there is a provision. I believe one is the average of the top five next year and the other as the top five for the upcoming year.

Maybe this gets set in stone based on the numbers at the start of the Tag window? then we would obviously see our savings but the Ravens would get the original number just a funny speculation which I am sure someone knows the true answer to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back