PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Ridley May Not See Action vs. HOU [Edit: Officially Inactive]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ridley inactive.

Thank you BB

Ridley is officially inactive. Hopefully, this is a motivation tool over giving up on him.

Ugh. Bummer. Agree; hopefully the tough love pays off later.

Good move by Belichick ... these are grown men not kids on a pop warner team. Also ... LOL people listening to Tanguay, Gresch and Felger ... like finger nails on a blackboard.

I wouldn't put half these people on the list over Ridley. Some of them I wouldn't even put in my top 15 RBs in the league.

Again, Ridley put up 1263 yards and 12 TDs last year. When his head is right, he is an absolute stud and far better than several of the guys you listed and better than a few more. He just needs to get his head right.

Well we can agree to disagree.

Ridley isn't breaking 800 yards this year. ;)

Ridley's drops over the last three weeks are a concern, but I don't get why people are giving up on this guy. He is a top RB in this league.

Kevin Faulk is an excellent guy to be working with Ridley. There haven't been many RBs who fumbled more over their first three or four years in the league than Faulk did. Faulk found ways to cure his fumble problems and became one of the most sure-handed RBs in the league almost never laying the ball on the turf. Riley can cure his problems too.

Ridley has skills that are rare in NFL RBs. It would be stupid for the Pats to write this guy off. They need to work with him and fix what is wrong with him.

BTW, don't bet on this report being correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats leaked out that they are limiting Ridley and turn around and make him a focal point of the offense.

I agree with you Rob, that Ridley is a top back. But only if he gets his fumble issue under control. He has great burst and hits holes far quicker than anyone else we have on the team. But, he's fumbled 3 games in a row, the last of which as we saw against Denver, was pretty team deflating. His fumble against Denver was based in large part because he was running out of control and with the ball away from his body. This after fumbling the two prior games. His fumble against Caroline in the redzone was another costly fumble. At this point he has to sit. He needs to work on this issue and if he's put in today and coughs it up again, it will do a lot of damage to an already fragile frame of mind regarding this issue. The players cannot start to doubt him and if he were to fumble 4 games in a row, it would be far worse for the team on a variety of levels, than just the fumble against the Texans. Just sit him for a couple of games and get him working with Faulk or whomever. His issues can be fixed but it does concern me that after fumbling against both Pitt and Carolina, that he was still so sloppy with the ball with his spinorama move that ended up as a fumble and TD against. I love the kid and think he has all the talent in the world. Now lets see how mentally tough he is and whether he's willing to listen and learn. I hear he's a healthy scratch today. This is a good team move. For him and the team.

^^ yeah, this

Yeah ... most successful coach in the NFL is a real dope ... :bricks:

So why bother having an opinion if you're just going to rely on an appeal to authority

Well we can agree to disagree.

Ridley isn't breaking 800 yards this year. ;)

Because he has been benched because of fumbles. Not because isn't running well. If wasn't benched for fumbles, he would probably have another 1200 yards.

So why bother having an opinion if you're just going to rely on an appeal to authority

Have any opinion you want ... I'm glad Belichick does what's best.

I would think that fans of a team that have witnessed a missed interception, a circus catch using a helmet, a just missed pass by a player who normally catches such a ball ... not to mention a clutch field goal in the snow ... and other mistakes and great plays.

I would think fans of such a team would understand that it's not always how many times but when a mistake takes place it can cost a team the season. the players on this team are coached that one mistake is too many ... we're lucky to have a coach who thinks this way. Excellence and perfection are the key ... very good and pretty good are not good enough.

Last edited:
That's tough for the young kid. It's got to be in his head a little bit at this point. I don't see how it cannot be bothering him mentally by now. That can linger for some athletes. I absolutely believe he will receive another opportunity. I hope he bounces back strong when he gets it.

Have any opinion you want ... I'm glad Belichick does what's best.

He's human, just like anybody else, and has made his fair share of mistakes over the years. There's no reason to appeal to "well Belichick did it so it must be right." And not to take anything away from Belichick, one of the greatest coaches ever, but it sure helps to have a Tom Brady to fall back on when you screw up.

He's human, just like anybody else, and has made his fair share of mistakes over the years. There's no reason to appeal to "well Belichick did it so it must be right." And not to take anything away from Belichick, one of the greatest coaches ever, but it sure helps to have a Tom Brady to fall back on when you screw up.

That's rich ........

Sports is a game of mistakes ... the team that makes the least usually comes out the winner. We have a coach who strives to make the least mistakes ... even his own.

Last edited:
Ridley is a tough runner, and I'm sure with Faulk's help and the right attitude he'll rectify the fumbling issue. I remember Faulk's fumbling issues well, and he was able to fix them. According to Ty Law and Troy Brown on CSN this morning, Faulk used to carry a ball around with him all the time--cafeteria, meetings...--and asked his teammates to try and dislodge the ball at any time. They even had wagers on it. I just hope that Ridley has the commitment to work that hard at solving the problem.

At first I was surprised that Ridley is inactive today but after thinking about it...if they're not going to play him then why use an active slot for him. I'd rather give his slot to Josh Boyce and see what he can do in a game.

Like the move or hate it, Bill has always been consistent in his emphasis on turnover free football.

There is no denying Ridley's talent, but as long as he coughs the ball up he won't see the field. That's just BB's way.

Ridley has talent and runs hard. But these fumbles are troubling.

In an ideal world, he gets this under control and keeps getting first downs. But, I can't say I disagree with BB... he is costing them. And I'd rather see Bolden - less explosive, less risk. And Vereen, who is #1 now.

Yeah ... most successful coach in the NFL is a real dope ... :bricks:

He's not infallible. I just think this is poor resource management. You can not play him but still have him active in case you need him.

This is sending a message to a player and I don't think December football games are the best time to do make those sort of coaching decisions but we're also talking about a guy who benched his best offensive player at the start of a playoff game for some subtle jokes made in a press conference so what do I know.

Grumpy_Cat-Good.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore