PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Patriots very interested in Revis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should we have just one merged giant Revis thread?

For lowlives such as myself that have 10,000+ posts on this forum and regularly surf it during their work day, it makes the board less cluttered. You don't have to sift through the garbage threads, such as the one mentioned in my last post, to get to the juicy ones. Just try it. You'll thank me later. :cool:

Oh, that makes sense.

I honestly wish that we would get a halfway decent corner on this team. Unfortunately this guy doesn't stay healthy either!

Just about anything would be an upgrade for us. After watching this...
ilnnwTchVr4Nx.gif

:mad:

So some un-named GM allegedly drops the Pats name in a list of teams supposedly interested. Color me unimpressed.

Have I missed something here? I've read the thread and have yet to see any credible indication that the Pats have any interest in Revis never mind being "very interested". Where did that phrase come from, other than a headline writer's misleading summary?

Please post any evidence (not another fanboys speculation) that the Pats are interested in making moves for Revis.

Have I missed something here? I've read the thread and have yet to see any credible indication that the Pats have any interest in Revis never mind being "very interested". Where did that phrase come from, other than a headline writer's misleading summary?

Please post any evidence (not another fanboys speculation) that the Pats are interested in making moves for Revis.

I don't think any evidence is necessary. Of course, the Pats are interested in just about every good player that may become available, just like most guys are "interested" in every beautiful woman that walks by them. Whether they really want him and or can get him, remains to be seen.

Would love to get Revis but I think there's a less than 1% chance the Jets would be willing to trade him to us if they can get anything of value from another team. Meaning they'd take lesser value to make sure that he stays outside the division.

Revis wants 6 years for 90 million................I guess it's time for the patriots to lock up talib before the jets sign him as a back up plan.

I find this thread to be an embarrassment to the intelligence of the board. Are you kidding me. 11 pages and close to 100 posts on a completely unsubstantiated, nonsensical trade rumors. What's next, a 10 page thread on why the Pats should trade Gronk.

I am ashamed of my own participation

Ditto,

That said, couldn't resist posting that Breer tweeted that of the teams reported to be "interested" in Revis most have not actually expressed any interest. Generally speaking rumors and reports of interest in these situations are the result of somebody doing someone a favor (agent looking to create/drive market, owner/GM looking to gauge market). And the Patriots tend to be one of the interested parties mentioned to help develop interest elsewhere because they can't usually be bothered to comment on or deny rumors.

Spin master Woody is looking for a storyline to distract JETS fans from the rest of the mess that is the 2013 JETS.

Did I actually see someone offer our #1 draft pick and Aaron Hernandez for an often injured, selfish me type CB from the Jets?

I'm stunned that it took nine pages of posts before someone got it right.

If the Jets don't want the Pats to get Revis, they will put a clause into a trade contract with the so-called third party that he cannot be traded to the Pats. Some of you people are so Revis hungry it's shocking. What Ryan had to go through to get this guy to sign an incredibly player friendly contract should be enough of a flag that the business side of him coming here is virtually unworkable. That's not just for the Pats, but for any team that wants to open a bank on Revis island. Of course he'll just sit out with one or two years left on his contract demanding more money wherever he signs. He's already established that MO. He may still be a good CB, but he's a pant load of problems. No thanks!

From Florio:

The prevailing view inside and outside the Jets organization is that owner Woody Johnson has no desire to pay cornerback Darrelle Revis the kind of money he’d fetch on the open market. With the Jets having no way to keep Revis from hitting the open market next year, the question becomes whether the team should part ways with him sooner and get value in return. But there’s a belief within the power structure that Johnson should broaden the lens and look at the entire budget for the cornerback position. Instead of paying Revis close to market value and continuing to pay cornerback Antonio Cromartie a healthy salary ($7 million base pay in 2013), the Jets could pay Revis what he’s worth and trade Cromartie.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reports that a “small segment” of the organization prefers that approach, trading Cromartie instead of Revis. Actually, we’re told that the small segment includes a previously large man named Rex Ryan.

Jets could trade Cromartie instead of Revis | ProFootballTalk

:rofl:

Florio also notes:

As we hear it, the primary factor for Ryan is that he’s hoping to clear out some of the guys who have contributed to the problems in the locker room over the past couple of years. Cromartie is regarded as one of those guys.

Shocking. Just shocking.

Is this the same person that said .....that teams that are looking for a QB are very interested in TB?

I like how the article assumes the Pats are a revis away from a SB.

He sure wouldn't hurt, but I don't think he's worth what he'll cost.

People harp on the Patriots for not being big spenders a lot.

But what I think people fail to realize is that one thing at which Belichick is superb is managing a locker room.

Players who are leaders and difference makers have their value to the team realized in a contract that represents their value to the team. It recognizes their contributions.

Yes, guys like Wilfork and Mankins might find the negotiation process off putting but in the end the Patriots are good at gauging a player's value and paying them accordingly or letting them walk.

Point being - you cannot bring in a guy like Darelle Revis, pay him $16m a year and then expect the rest of the locker room to take that in stride. Not when guys like Mayo or McCourty have been busting their ass for this team. There's an aspect to the player/team relationship that seems to be, based on player comments, very similar to any employee/employer relationship.

Imagine you are working your ass off at a job. You put in extra hours and make sacrifices. You get a raise that recognizes this. And then a year later your job hires someone else and pays him 50% more than you. Are you going to give a **** about how good he might have been at his previous job? Are you going to give a **** about how much extra work he did at his other job?

No.

That's why I think this Revis stuff, while intriguing, is really more about the team doing do diligence and possibly trying to do some minor positioning for negotiations with Talib. As a fan I would be stoked to have Revis on our team but I cannot imagine a scenario where he comes in here earning 16m a year without the team having a plan to also compensate guys like Welker and the rest who have also been busting their ass for us year after year but compensating at a portion of that amount.

Outstanding fnord.
That is just how real members of an organization think.
Revis would break the social contract between the top contributing Pats players and the management.

I found this post on a Jets forum. They were discussing about the Revis trade as the right/wrong move for their organization:

"[...]To be clear, a single high first round pick does not come close to approximating Revis' value, even given that it will require a large contract to keep him.

Darrelle Revis is the holy grail of football properties: a player so valuable that he is single-handedly capable of making one's team legitimate. When he is healthy, he is the best defensive player in the NFL. Considering both sides of the ball, only a handful of quarterbacks are more valuable than he is. If every other player on the Jets were average, Revis would make them a clear playoff team. He is incontrovertibly a franchise-changing player[...]

[...]Put simply, you do not trade Darrelle Revis for the sake of the future because Darrelle Revis is the future. Revis is 27 and is likely to have at least 4-5 more years of almost incomparable value. Revis should be the centerpiece of any future plans. Any notion to the contrary is a tacit validation of Woody Johnson's being cheap. It is not an expression of sound roster management.

Pay him."

I don't know about you guys, but I find this post somehow disturbing, even coming from a JEST fan.

Revis is the best CB, but he's not worth a high 1st round pick? Wouldn't the Jets be happy with some help in front, coming from Jarvis Jones, Manti Te'o or B. Mingo, PLUS the 9th overall pick they own?

Best defensive player in the NFL? JJ Watt? Von Miller? Patrick Willis?
Only a few QBs are more valuable than him? :bricks:
Almost incomparable value? :bricks:

Revis is really ******* good. An all-time great CB if he can continue to play at the same level he played at for the first half of his career.

He can do more to alter a team's game plan than I've seen out of Watt, Aldon Smith or Von Miller. More than any other CB out there right now, with the possible exception of Sherman, he can completely negate almost any WR in the league. I'd like to see what he has done/would do against Mega-tron but anyone else? I'd give the edge to Revis.

We've all seen just how good he is in his games against us. Will he be that good after a year off from football and suffering an ACL injury? Dunno.

But from the time when he was drafted until this past season I think it's completely fair to argue he's as valuable as any defensive player out there and I think the Jets are idiots to try to trade him considering they'd be lucky if they got a player 75% of the player that Revis is.

for that 14 mill...get welker back..try and sign talib/CBs/Pass rushers..what this team really needs. Not to spend all of their $$ on 1 player on D..last thing this team needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes