Welcome to PatsFans.com

Remember Samardzija?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Va_Pats_Fan, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Va_Pats_Fan

Va_Pats_Fan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insi...ns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2920574

Its the slow time....we could always use another WR....:rolleyes:

2. rookBoston

rookBoston 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +69 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Reminds me of Michael Jordan trying his hand, and sucking. Then, ended up skulking back into the NBA.

More apropo, maybe, is Drew Henson, who "beat out" Tom Brady but chose baseball. And now has to be wishing he had a football career a millionth as successful.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  3. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I'm not that certain I'd have rated Sarmardzija a first round selection for the Pats, perhaps a late second/third rounder at best. Given BB had collected Moss, Stallworth, Welker, and Washington prior to the seventh round, I'm hardpressed to see the value of drafting Sarmardzija on a one year retainer after he'd sign such a lucrative offer with the Cubs.

4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

I don't think the Pats ever had any interest in Jeff. Belichick wants players to whom football matters. Watching him in his senior year it was pretty apparent that the magic was gone, and I think that effected the entire team and Quinn in particular. He pitched through spring football practice. And in the fall he looked as if he wasn't prepared for it to get a little tougher once other teams had had a good long look at Charlie's offense and talent. Even in a game to game sense he would start out looking lackluster and try to crank it up in the 4th quarter. I think for him baseball was his love and football was just fun. Guys like that don't usually transition well into the NFL. I think he made the right choice for that reason - and $10M others.

5. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Tom Brady almost became a catcher for the Montreal Expos in 1995 :eek:

6. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Tom was drafted by the Expos in 1995 based on his highschool career. He opted to play football, accepted a scholarship to Michigan and never looked back.

7. Commander Shears

Commander Shears Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I really thought the Pats would use one of their 6th or 7th round compensatory picks on him. They'd have risked virtually nothing (no money at least), and would have a full year for Weis & Brady to sell him. If he was hitting under .200 and watching the Pats go to the Super Bowl playing the same basic offense that he already knows, I wouldn't have been shocked to see him go back to football. The Pats are by far the most likely team to draw him back, and it would have been an absolute steal.

8. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 20 / -30

Can he be signed as a free agent if he wants to quit baseball and give football a go??

9. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +216 / 5 / -1

He's overrated in both sports, but baseball was definitely the first thing to try. HOw long would it be in the NFL before he made $10M. I'd suggest never. He'd be a 4th or 5th reciever his entire career, if he made the league.

10. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

11. PATRIOT64

PATRIOT64 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If I am not mistaken regarding the NBA and the San Antonio Spurs,Didn't they take a chance on drafting a player who had military obligations at the time and many a media person thought the Spurs were going to regret it?

His name was David Robinson - The rest is history

12. PatsFaninAZ

PatsFaninAZ In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

Guaranteed $10.5 million for 5 years of work is a lot of money for a guy whose NFL future is not known. I can see why he took it.

13. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

NFL Rules - there is a Reserve/Military list where active duty military personnel can be stashed. You may recall Navy RB Kyle Eckel, whom BB acquired? He was stolen by Miami off waivers before the Practice Squad could be signed, then placed on their Reserve Military list. He was discharged by the Navy and rejoined the Dolphins last season. There is no Reserve/Baseball list.

14. TruthSeeker

TruthSeeker PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +100 / 1 / -0

I think Samardzija would be a fine football player in the NFL. If baseball doesn't work out, I'd be shocked not to see him in the NFL.

15. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Fine football players are a dime a dozen in the NFL. I've got to think that if there was anything beyond just the physical stats that are needed to make a great football player at the pro level, then Weis would have convinced either Belichick or Crennel to at least risk a 7th on securing his rights.

16. PatsSteve1

PatsSteve1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Besides his MLB contract, maybe the kid made it clear to NFL teams that he had no intention of playing any more football.

17. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +733 / 61 / -50

#50 Jersey

Except that Jordan went to baseball after "retiring". Rumors were abound that he was actually suspended for gambling and that the league didn't want a black eye over their star player so he voluntarily "retired".

18. Caspir

Caspir Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I don't think the Cubs care if he hits .200 since he's a pitcher.

He was pretty overrated as far as pitching prospects go. He has velocity, and a good frame, not much else. The Cubs were foolish to give him that kind of money. He's now been demoted from the rotation to the bullpen, and if he has to stick there, they invested a whole lot of money in a relief pitcher. If I were him I would have played baseball too. More money, guaranteed contracts, less chance of injury. Even if he never plays in the Major Leagues, he still got paid more than $10m. Can't really go wrong there.

19. Patriotic Fervor

Patriotic Fervor Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

I think the closest analogy to this situation is Danny Ainge. Coming out of college, with a good press and all (he would have been picked quite high in the NBA draft), he declared to the world he was playing baseball for the Toronto organization, so it was fruitless for anyone to waste a draft pick on him.

Only, Red Auerbach did just that.

Baseball apparently didn't please the guy like he thought it would, and after wiggling out of his baseball obligations, signed with the Celtics.

And what a team that was...

20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/players/player.php?p=aingeda01

Hitting .220 will make you rethink your options.......