PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

OT: Jay Bilas on what makes a player tough

Status
Not open for further replies.

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Jay Bilas: Defining toughness in college hoops - ESPN

I put this on here because I think Bilas's article goes along way toward explaining what Belichick means when he talks about touch players, if you can apply to Bilas explanation to football. Toughness is not about physical aggression or withstanding pain, or even performing under duress.

Instead, Bilas says, toughness is a skill you learn. When he gives you the various examples of toughness, he defines it as doing the little things, consistently, that make life tough on your opponent. It's about skills and fundamentals, attention to detail, and most importantly, a love for the game of football. Love for the game is the most important because only a player that respects the strategy and the dedication that goes with it (i.e. really working hard to make sure you're doing the maximum to take advantage of and occupy space within a team concept) will prioritize doing the little things over everything else.

I'm a big college basketball guy, and there is not a better analyst in sports than Jay Bilas. The guy is simply outstanding, and a lot of his stuff can be translated to other sports, like this piece.

Re: defense he says

The toughest players talk on defense, and communicate with their teammates. It is almost impossible to talk on defense and not be in a stance, down and ready, with a vision of man and ball. If you talk, you let your teammates know you are there, and make them and yourself better defenders. It also lets your opponent know that you are fully engaged.

A tough defender plays the ball and sees his man. There is a difference.

A tough player has a sense of urgency but has the discipline to do it the right way.

The toughest players don't pace themselves.

Tough players are the aggressor

Sounds like the Pats :D:

Tough players don't categorize opponents and games. They know that if they are playing, it is important. Tough players understand that if they want to play in championship games, they must treat every game as a championship game.

Tough players hate losing but are not shaken or deterred by a loss. Tough players enjoy winning but are never satisfied. For tough players, a championship or a trophy is not a goal; it is a destination. The goal is to get better every day.

Great find, thanks for posting it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes