PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on Brady's silence

Status
Not open for further replies.
I laugh at these columnists and beat reporters crowing about being unbiased (it's the worst sensational backstabbers too, go figure).

I always assumed you reached the pinnacle of your career writing about your local team because you liked them. What a concept.

I think Reiss actually likes the Patriots more than the Jacksonville Jaguars. that's why I read him.

If he was spending an equal amount of time researching the Tampa Bay Bucs as the patriots, I don't think I'd read his column.

As it is, despite the Soviet like corruption whereby any league controversy results in the takeover of his column with goodell propaganda posts, he's still the best outlet for Patriots news for Patriots fans.

I don't know where unbiased fans go and I don't care.

So, comrade, you don't like the ESPN unbiased news? Well, just tune to the unbiased NFL.com.

That makes me think. Perhaps ESPN can run a special where they deflate the footballs .5 PSI and see if players can tell the difference. Perhaps have 5 balls and they have to decide which one(s) are under inflated. i mean, they do need to fill air time or perhaps they can just rerun their old episodes :rolleyes:. I'd like to see Brunell crying again.

How about a special where they measure the effect heating the balls has on PSI, considering they have tape from a live game showing representatives from a team doing it?

I laugh at these columnists and beat reporters crowing about being unbiased (it's the worst sensational backstabbers too, go figure).

Funny thing about that is those mediots you are talking about are the same people that will kill Brady and say he is lying if he comes out and says something. Yet they will crow until the cows come home that they are unbiased and have been nothing but unbiased over this thing.

Anyone with a brain can see that the report has zero first hand evidence that Brady knew or instructed the balls to be deflated under. In fact the thing that started this whole sham has proven but dozens that there should have never been an investigation.

Fan to Mediot: You are a Pats hater

Mediot: I am unbiased. Just because I'm not some homer doesn't mean i'm biased against the Patriots. I'm as unbiased as it gets and history proves that.

Brady: I had no knowledge nor did I instruct anyone to deflate footballs

Same Mediot: He's lying. That is such a lie. There is hard proof that he knew it was going on.

Hypocrites

This is what I hate about this thing even Exponent says the balls were in the range they were suppose to be but it just gets disregarded by all the anti-Pats media. How the hell can you ignore SCIENCE and IDEAL GAS LAW and then say you are being unbiased. That right there if Wells or NFL wasn't witch hunting would have stopped the investigation and come out and said "after consultation we have determined that the Patriots balls were within the range of PSI they should have been based on the weather and elements during the AFCC game, there will be no further action"

But nope what we got was a sham, railroad job because goodell looked like an absolute putz the last year.

I think it's time for me to get sidetracked (again) for a week or two. (and this is my own opinion) It's getting too circular for me and I need to shift my paradigm from being upset (for it almost feels like post-mort report 11 of 12 being under 2 psi level angst) to wanting to destroy opponents on the field of play. It's just it will be the longest off season ever.

any help with getting me there will be greatly appreciated. I really was in a decent place for some time, but it was fools gold...I guess.

If you pay a legal team big bucks, do you ignore their advice??

Goodell wanted to hear Brady's appeal so he could hear #12's side of the story, guess Roger likes "stories". Without regard even in that forum his responses will be limited by the advice of his legal team, and their defense may rely on rebutting the Well's report, rather than the "stories" of #12.

There are certain segments of the media who equate silence with guilt, nothing is further from the truth, rather than muddying the waters further or allowing the press to fight his battles, Tom is wisely awaiting for the correct forum that will be very controlled his legal team..

The media becomes more idiotic by the minute, and unfortunately there are those viewers/listeners who ingest mass quantities of this "pablum"..

Much of the world is deluded to think that this can be made all better by a sound byte or other snippet of information..

[Note to Mods: we now have at least two threads on this topic, perhaps they should be combined. Here is what I posted in the other thread.]

IMO, Brady is being quiet because he holds the better hand.

Goodell couldn't risk turning Brady's Appeal over to a respected independent Ariber because of the chance that the Arbiter would overturn the entire Suspension and thus "out" the Wells report for the farce that it is. However, if an independent Arbiter, respected for his/her neutrality, had reduced the suspension to one or two games, it would have been very difficult for Brady to litigate. So, handing the case over to an independent, third party would normally have been the logical course for Goodell to follow. But the risk of the entire suspension being overturned was too great for Goodell to do that.

So, Goodell is now in the position of having to conduct the "Appeal" himself and decide whether Brady might accept a reduction of the Suspension to one or two games without taking the League to court and forcing Discovery along the lines of texts and phone messages and would include testimony under oath and risk of perjury, by League, Ravens and Colts officials, which would, in all likelihood, be extremely embarrassing for all three parties.

Goodell also knows that Brady and Gisele are the only non-owner parties in the League with pockets deep enough to follow through on a protracted litigation process. If he puts Brady in the position of feeling he has nothing to lose, he knows he could go that route.

So, Brady has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by opening his mouth. This is going to come down to "who blinks first" and there is no point in Brady saying a word.

Volin was flapping his gums on Comcast a couple of days ago asking why Brady was being silent.

He doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that this has the potential for legal circumstances. Silence is the best policy at this point.

The main issue here is that Ben Volin is just stupid.

Brady hasn't been silent. It's like these idiots forgot about the press conference that he held where he stood up in front of a bunch of news personalities and took questions about how he's definitely a cheater. When he said he wasn't, nobody believed him. What else is left for him to say?

I can't stand this guy. It's clear to me he hates the Patriots, esp. Brady, but his reasons for not understanding why Brady doesn't address this issue are stupid. 1. Brady already has--Volin must have been in the bathroom at the time. 2. Brady is now involved in a legal battle and is intelligently listening to his lawyers and 3. the more eejits like Volin suggest that silence=guilt, the clearer it is, TFB has few friends in the media and of those few, eejit Volin is clearly not one of them. In fact Brady has done exactly what Volin is asking for, declared his innocence, but it hasn't stopped Volin from making stupid, toxic equations about silence and guilt. He just continues babbling. I second your point about mental capacity: this clown is f* moronic. His columns are nothing more than clickbait.

Its the same narrative/circular argument with everyone in the media...

This is EXACTLY (paraphrasing) what the Q&A is with Thornton/Holley v. Volin on WEEI and Felger/Spaz v. Portnoy a couple of weeks ago. I listened and while not surprised at their position, annoyed and angered by their sheer ignorance.

Q. What exactly did Brady do?
A. I don't know but he did something.
Q. For what do you know, what did he do?
A. Something. He's acting guilty.
Q. Enough to warrant a 4 game suspension?
A. No. It'll get knocked down to 1-2 games
Q. Why does he deserve the two games?
A. Because he did something.
Q. What did he do?
A. Something.

Last edited:
The main issue here is that Ben Volin is just stupid.

Brady hasn't been silent. It's like these idiots forgot about the press conference that he held where he stood up in front of a bunch of news personalities and took questions about how he's definitely a cheater. When he said he wasn't, nobody believed him. What else is left for him to say?

Thats the thing with these guys. Their opinions lack almost as much consistency as Goodell's criteria for determining punishment.

Volin plays to the crowd. His article from yesterday was reasonably balanced actually.

A former federal judge serving as neutral arbitrator overturned Goodell’s indefinite suspension of Rice as “arbitrary” and an “abuse of discretion.” A current federal judge vacated his suspension of Peterson. Last week, Hardy appealed his 10-game suspension. And of course, Goodell’s office levied historically harsh penalties — a four-game suspension to Tom Brady, a loss of a first-round pick for the Patriots and $1 million fine — based on incomplete evidence and shaky science.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...GJ/story.html?p1=Article_Trending_Most_Viewed

One reason for Brady to stay quiet is that Goodell could have some tricks up his sleeve. E.g., I don't think he's officially named the arbitrator yet. What if, at the last moment, he DOES name somebody who appears to be "independent"? That could deflate -- as it were -- the momentum for future federal court challenges.

Goodell also has a potential PR trick -- a grudging but complete capitulation on the substance "for the good of the league, so as to make the subject go away", ala Kraft. Goodell looks like a hero; everybody outside New England thinks the Pats are cheaters; and there isn't much recourse left to change things beyond a defamation suit, filed by the very public figure Brady, targeted at a somewhat unclear defamer (e.g. whoever started the 2 PSI shortfall story).

Agree w/Florio that a Brady sit-down interview when this is over (with Brady & his people picking a national person that hasn't been horrible through this, whoever that might be--thoughts anyone?) will be very good.

As awful as this continues to be (and we'll forever be ticked off about losing the picks) if Brady gets rid of the suspension and does a good job in that interview as I suspect he will, I think most of this will feel very diminished come playoff time.

This is EXACTLY (paraphrasing) what the Q&A is with Thornton/Holley v. Volin on WEEI and Felger/Spaz v. Portnoy a couple of weeks ago. I listened and while not surprised at their position, annoyed and angered by their sheer ignorance.

Q. What exactly did Brady do?
A. I don't know but he did something.
Q. For what do you know, what did he do?
A. Something. He's acting guilty.
Q. Enough to warrant a 4 game suspension?
A. No. It'll get knocked down to 1-2 games
Q. Why does he deserve the two games?
A. Because he did something.
Q. What did he do?
A. Something.
I think the official word is he acted nervous and every mediot secured an expert that could read microexpressions.
Though, I think you have (2) things:
(1) High Def/High Speed camera's -- that'd be a NO
(2) To understand motive when it comes to any potential reading of nerves. I mean, going up in front of a group that is just wanting to draw blood/interpret anything in a negative light, just to earn their living won't make anyone nervous.

LOL, I have the misfortune of knowing some Colts fans. Sounds like the same infinite loop conversation:

Intro:
Me: What do you think of Tom Brady?
Colts fan: Cheater.

Chorus:
Me: What exactly did Brady do?
Colts fan: I don't know, but he must have done something. He knew.

Me: What did he do, and why do you think so?
Colts fan: I don’t know. But he cheated. He did something. He's acting guilty.

Me: Does he deserve a suspension?
Colts fan: Yes, he got off easy, because he did something.

Me: Did you know that weather drops PSI in footballs?
Colts fan: Get out of here with science crap. It scares me. And he did something.

Me: Why, again, do you think that he did something?
Colts fan: Because everyone says that he did something.

Me: How many Patriots footballs were deflated by 2 PSI?
Colts fan: 11 of 12. Everybody knows that, moron!

Me: Did you know that it’s really zero, or at most one, according to the Wells Report? One only if you don’t trust the ref’s memory?
Colts fan: I don't know, but you must be lying. He must have done something. ESPN says so.

(go back and repeat chorus, ad nauseum)

Wait! So Colts fans are listening to Felger & Mazz? :confused:

Danger Zone @Danger_Zones Thank you for the great work you do @MikeReiss You are one of the few professional sports reporters left. Glad you are covering the Patriots

Just thought I'd Tweet him out how much I appreciate his professionalism. Anyone that feels the same should do the same.

EDIT: Classy guy. Got a response.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss @Danger_Zones Thanks for sharing the thought. Appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Last edited:
Has Mort commented at all about the fact that his leak was so wrong?

No. I think he should have a presser.

Where are Been Violin and Rob Parker when you really need them?

No. I think he should have a presser.

Where are Been Violin and Rob Parker when you really need them?

Rob Parker blocked me on twitter after me constantly calling him out...i found it hilarious he couldn't take the heat

Rob Parker blocked me on twitter after me constantly calling him out...i found it hilarious he couldn't take the heat

Huh. Surprising. I didn't realize he could read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe