PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on Brady: "He'll be there."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss on Brady: ?He?ll be there.?

What part of "it's a business" don't you understand? There is an ME in TEAM and Brady has business and personal interests just like everyone else. IMHO, Bruschi is the only player in recent memory that really did not focus on his own needs and interests. Compensation in the nfl is a relatively balanced adversarial process. I have no problem with that. It is a better situation than if the players were the primadionnas dictating terms, or if the team dictated terms.

Why do you assume it has to be adverserial?
If Brady wants to be here, and Kraft wants him, and they agree on his relative value, why is there something wrong with delaying the largest contract that could have the most impact on the future salary cap until the unknowns in the labor agreement are worked out?
I haven't understood this the whole time. Brady, BB and Kraft have always acted as of they are in this together. I think all trust none of the others will screw them. So why not try to wait until the CBA and cap rules are set so they can take the best advantage of them in this contract to keep the team more competitive?
And the injury BS is just that. He isn't going to die, and he isn't going to sustain a worse injury than the one he came back from.
If we take a step back and recognize that Brady works for someone he trusts maybe we can stop assuming he is thinking like he is working for George Steinbrenner after he already got Howard Spira involved.
This whole story that has taken on a life of its own is based upon speculation added on top of speculation by people who don't want to put effort into uncovering a real story to write about.
If we started a rumor that BB is upset with Kraft because Kraft won't let him pay assistant coaches more, so he has to do more himself, and that rumor spread to the wea-ass journalism that has dominated the Brady story, by rumor would ultimately be the fact that 6 levels of conjecture would be based upon, and the nation would be watching whether BB is going to retire.

So, now Brady wouldn't be a leader unless he comes to camp with no contract extension.

Yup. His contract for THIS YEAR says he's supposed to be there in training camp. He hurts his team by not being there, in order to benefit only himself. That is not being a leader. It's one thing to look out for your own interests, but he signed the contract he did, and to not live up to it is putting himself before his teammates.

Presumably, he can only be a leader by not taking any steps at all to protect his interests.

Where has he taken no steps? He signed the contract. Now, if that contract were to run out, and he refused to take a pay cut to re-sign, that's still looking out for his own interests in a responsible way. Refusing to honor a contract is not protecting your interests, it's weaseling.

He is a leader if shows no spine at all. Rubbish!

Rubbish is implying that honoring an agreement means you have no spine.

What you are saying is that Brady can play on a handshake. Why bother having a contract at all?

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to believe that Kraft, Belichick and Brady agree on the elements of a contract and are just waiting for the final CBA sometime next year to sign the agreement.

Perhaps the best thing for Brady is to play and ignore the risks. Perhaps he has already indicated to Belichick that he will do so. Perhaps he really has no choice. If kraft tells him that a deal will not get done this year no matter what, then Brady will have lfew good chocies.

HOWEVER, if you think that Kraft will give Brady the same contract whether or not he is injured this year as badly as last, then I strongly disagree with you.

BOTTOM LINE
I don't know what Brady WILL do. However, I do not agree with 90% of the posters who think that Brady will show particiapte in camp, whether he has an agreement on extension or not.

Why do you assume it has to be adverserial?
If Brady wants to be here, and Kraft wants him, and they agree on his relative value, why is there something wrong with delaying the largest contract that could have the most impact on the future salary cap until the unknowns in the labor agreement are worked out?
I haven't understood this the whole time. Brady, BB and Kraft have always acted as of they are in this together. I think all trust none of the others will screw them. So why not try to wait until the CBA and cap rules are set so they can take the best advantage of them in this contract to keep the team more competitive?
And the injury BS is just that. He isn't going to die, and he isn't going to sustain a worse injury than the one he came back from.
If we take a step back and recognize that Brady works for someone he trusts maybe we can stop assuming he is thinking like he is working for George Steinbrenner after he already got Howard Spira involved.
This whole story that has taken on a life of its own is based upon speculation added on top of speculation by people who don't want to put effort into uncovering a real story to write about.
If we started a rumor that BB is upset with Kraft because Kraft won't let him pay assistant coaches more, so he has to do more himself, and that rumor spread to the wea-ass journalism that has dominated the Brady story, by rumor would ultimately be the fact that 6 levels of conjecture would be based upon, and the nation would be watching whether BB is going to retire.

Last edited:

What you are saying is that Brady can play on a handshake. Why bother having a contract at all?

Brady isn't playing on a handshake, he has a has a contract RIGHT NOW and is expected to fulfill that contract RIGHT NOW, why are you trying to make it more complicated than that?

Brady isn't playing on a handshake, he has a has a contract RIGHT NOW and is expected to fulfill that contract RIGHT NOW, why are you trying to make it more complicated than that?

Because that's mg's MO. His view of labor management is adversarial to the core.

This is what Brady said in January:

"I think we're way overpaid as it is, all of us," "We get to go play football for a living. I love playing, and I'm very fortunate to play. … The contract is not really a concern."

"I'm under contract, and I signed a six-year contract five years ago," Brady said on Jan. 25, reminding reporters that he is not the only player in this situation.

"There is a lot of uncertainty with the league, and being a player rep now, I realize all the different issues that we're facing. It's a really unique time in the league, and as a team player, I don't sit here saying, 'What about me, What about me?' I'm under contract, and I'm going to go out there and play and play my butt off."

But then, what does he know...:rolleyes:

Because that's mg's MO.

It's not a viewpoint it's just the truth, he is obligated to perform and they are obligated to pay. It makes no sense to not perform because you want a new contract which you expect them to perform.

I wonder what would happen if a team simply decided to "hold out" and not pay a player.

Teams waive players under contract all the time.

It's not a viewpoint it's just the truth, he is obligated to perform and they are obligated to pay. It makes no sense to not perform because you want a new contract which you expect them to perform.

I wonder what would happen if a team simply decided to "hold out" and not pay a player.

Of course Brady knows his situation better than anyone.

I never put stock in public statements. Do you? Why?

However, Brady can choose to play for $5M a year if he is so overpaid, and leave more money for support players. But he's not doing that, is he?

Because that's mg's MO. His view of labor management is adversarial to the core.

This is what Brady said in January:

But then, what does he know...:rolleyes:

Teams waive players under contract all the time.

As is their right per the contract, there is nothing in those contracts that make training camp an option for the players, voluntary activities are a different story.

As is their right per the contract, there is nothing in those contracts that make training camp an option for the players, voluntary activities are a different story.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, Brady doesn't have to show until August 10th, in order to still earn his service time. As is his right, he can just pay the daily fines prior to that, if he so chooses.

Those are his rights under the contract.

Well, if you want to get technical about it, Brady doesn't have to show until August 10th, in order to still earn his service time. As is his right, he can just pay the daily fines prior to that, if he so chooses.

I just finished watching NFL Live's discussion on the Tom Brady contract scenario. What an absolute bunch of ******* muppets. The Colts are darlings because their management said Manning will get his deal done. Correct me if I am wrong but Kraft has said the Brady deal will get done publicly too.

I'm so sick of the **** that wankers in the media sprout because it's the Patriots.

Last edited:

I just finished watching NFL Live's discussion on the Tom Brady contract scenario. What an absolute bunch of ******* muppetts. The Colts are darlings because their management said Manning will get his deal done. Correct me if I am wrong but Kraft has said the Brady deal will get done publicly too.

I'm so sick of the **** that wankers in the media sprout because it's the Patriots.

As well as some of the people here.

This is a stupid stupid argument to be having.

Brady hasn't mentioned this is a problem at all, and in fact has gone overboard in the past to say it wasn't. He is currently under contract and has never done anything now, or in the past to show or say he has any intention to not honor it by refusing to show up. From all reports, his relationship with both the Kraft's as well as with BB has been very very good. In addition to all that, we find the NFL in the middle of negotiations on a huge new labor deal that probably will change the rules by which teams are allowed to pay their players, and we have an owner and a player who probably understand what signing an albatross contract might do to a team for years to come.

Add to that, the player in the league most similar to Brady in value to both the team and the league, who plays for one of the few other teams in the league that "gets it" is also on the final year of his contract, and seems to be in the exact same holding pattern that the Patriots are in. Yet no one seems to be commenting on that at all.

It all adds up to a few media idiots trying to sell some papers and stir up the pot, and a few, respected people here falling for the BS. Jeez, why worry about it until someone at least says something that is troubling who isn't from ESPN.

I just finished watching NFL Live's discussion on the Tom Brady contract scenario. What an absolute bunch of ******* muppets. The Colts are darlings because their management said Manning will get his deal done. Correct me if I am wrong but Kraft has said the Brady deal will get done publicly too.

Whoa! The press has an agenda and skews news & opinion towards their favorites and against their nemesis? Who knew?

Whoa! The press has an agenda and skews news & opinion towards their favorites and against their nemesis? Who knew?
I felt aggrieved today given that the Patriots and the Colts have stated the exact same position publicly and are at the same juncture in negotiation.. yet they still run with the crap.

I loathe the term journalism or news because most of the tripe that is served up is gossip, rumor, opinion or innuendo.

There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to believe that Kraft, Belichick and Brady agree on the elements of a contract and are just waiting for the final CBA sometime next year to sign the agreement.

Perhaps the best thing for Brady is to play and ignore the risks. Perhaps he has already indicated to Belichick that he will do so. Perhaps he really has no choice. If kraft tells him that a deal will not get done this year no matter what, then Brady will have lfew good chocies.

HOWEVER, if you think that Kraft will give Brady the same contract whether or not he is injured this year as badly as last, then I strongly disagree with you.

BOTTOM LINE
I don't know what Brady WILL do. However, I do not agree with 90% of the posters who think that Brady will show particiapte in camp, whether he has an agreement on extension or not.

How can your argument be that I don't KNOW my assumption is true when your argument is based on your own assumption?

Your position is based on them being adversaries, mine is based upon them being in somewhat of a partnership. Which one of us is correct depends on that and neither of us have a scintilla of evidence to know that answer. Frankly though, the history of their relationship suggests they are not adverseries.
Do you really feel what is in Brady's best interest is signing a deal now that may hamstring the franchise under the new CBA? Do you really believe Bradys only concern is 'getting his'?
Please don't cite the media speculation (like Clayton saying Brady was top dollar) because none of that is worth the paper it is written, good or bad.

I think that the 90% of the posters that are saying he will report are being backed up by eveyone in the media now too.

Of course Brady knows his situation better than anyone.

I never put stock in public statements. Do you? Why?

However, Brady can choose to play for $5M a year if he is so overpaid, and leave more money for support players. But he's not doing that, is he?

How do you know he isnt going to take less to leave room to get more players?

"On a scale of 1 to 10, and this is based on what current players [and] former players who know Tom or have spoken to him, and had some communication with him, they say his unhappiness is real, that it's above a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10," Mortensen replied......

...... “I know from speaking to enough people that he’s unhappy and the Patriots know he’s not all that happy.

Mort touches on Brady on NFL Live - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back