PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss mock: Kareem Jackson @ 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Mock draft prediction - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Taking Jackson with Gresham, Iupati, Dem. Thomas, Odrick, Hughes, Kindle on the board (and others, those are just the guys who follow) would disappoint. None of the prospects I listed following are without major flaws, but to draft a CB - who feels like only recently became considered an even borderline round 1 pick - when CB is probably the deepest position on the team, would not sit well with me.

Last edited:
I don't like that at all. Taking Jackson when Odrick, Iupati, and Hughes are still on the board doesn't make sense to me. A CB can be found in the later rounds.

It is interesting that Jackson has moved ahead of Wilson. I also find it interesting that Matthews and Pouncey are the other choices.

Mock draft prediction - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Taking Jackson with Gresham, Iupati, Dem. Thomas, Odrick, Hughes, Kindle on the board (and others, those are just the guys who follow) would disappoint. None of the prospects I listed following are without major flaws, but to draft a CB - who feels like only recently became considered an even borderline round 1 pick - when CB is probably the deepest position on the team, would not sit well with me.

A CB will be drafted with one of their top 4 picks. Wilhite and Wheatley have proven to be JAGs. I've heard they are high on Robinson.
Moving beyond CB...look at at the RBs on the roster. The one young RB, Maroney, sucks and gets pulled from games almost weekly...when he's not hurt. Faulk, Morris, and Taylor are ancient. This position will be addressed. Depending on how the first round plays out, if Matthews is still there at 22, I expect BB to grab him. They like Spiller as well.
I also expect Spikes to get the nod...they grade him very high and his times may drop his stock enough to get hime late in #2, or even through a trade down.
As far as OLB/DE, I know they love JPP...but paying multiple picks for a guy with a learning curve is not BB's MO...I'd do it...and I believe they are contemplating it.

I agree that there is a need at safety, but disagree with "our top four picks". We will draft a safety in the first round or wait until the haiol mary rounds. There is fine quality in Wilson, McCurty and Jackson. There is a HUGE, HUGE dropoff after that.

A CB will be drafted with one of their top 4 picks. Wilhite and Wheatley have proven to be JAGs. I've heard they are high on Robinson.
Moving beyond CB...look at at the RBs on the roster. The one young RB, Maroney, sucks and gets pulled from games almost weekly...when he's not hurt. Faulk, Morris, and Taylor are ancient. This position will be addressed. Depending on how the first round plays out, if Matthews is still there at 22, I expect BB to grab him. They like Spiller as well.
I also expect Spikes to get the nod...they grade him very high and his times may drop his stock enough to get hime late in #2, or even through a trade down.
As far as OLB/DE, I know they love JPP...but paying multiple picks for a guy with a learning curve is not BB's MO...I'd do it...and I believe they are contemplating it.

I agree that there is a need at safety, but disagree with "our top four picks". We will draft a safety in the first round or wait until the haiol mary rounds. There is fine quality in Wilson, McCurty and Jackson. There is a HUGE, HUGE dropoff after that.

CB...not safety

mgteich, read again...he was talking about cornerback, not safety.

Personally, I've been coming around more and more to Kareem Jackson if they move to the 30-40 range. I'd love a crack CB corps in a suddenly WR-rich division, and Jackson screams Patriots. But at #22? Bleah.

Personally, I've been coming around more and more to Kareem Jackson if they move to the 30-40 range. I'd love a crack CB corps in a suddenly WR-rich division, and Jackson screams Patriots. But at #22? Bleah.

Come to think of it, maybe Reiss feels the same? That Jackson is a player he's particularly convinced the Pats want, and in a no-trade mock he might as well project him at #22 to get the guy right, even if he gets the timing wrong.

Devin McCourty, later Javier Arenas - both bring serious Special Teams skills to go with their coverage.

Jackson at #22 would be a brick-through-the-TV type of pick.

I don't believe for one minute Bill would do that.

I think it's going to be DL all the way

He was my pick in the "Dream Draft" thread from last night.

He doesn't have the crazy upside that some have. But I want guys who can transition to the NFL. I like that Jackson has played for a tough coach. I like that he has played a variety of schemes and techniques. It makes him more NFL ready and it makes scouting him easier because he's done more of the things he'll be asked to do.

I'd sacrifice some ceiling to gain some floor, I'd sacrifice some athleticism to get a man instead of a boy. That's why I want Jackon. And Teo'o Nesheim. And Alualu.

I would also like to get another CB, I like Bodden, I like Butler's upside. I think we could use a really good #3 CB and Wilhite would be a fine #4. With so many 3+ WR sets, the #3 CB is almost a starter. Not only is Wilhite iffy in that role but we're one injury away from JAGs from being the #3 guy. I'm one of the few who sees CB as a need.

Last edited:
Devin McCourty, later Javier Arenas - both bring serious Special Teams skills to go with their coverage.
McCourty is the other guy I like for that reason. Arenas later, I'd also like to see if Arenas can catch the ball out of the backfield, as weird as it sounds I see some Kevin Faulk in the way he runs with the ball.

McCourty is the other guy I like for that reason. Arenas later, I'd also like to see if Arenas can catch the ball out of the backfield, as weird as it sounds I see some Kevin Faulk in the way he runs with the ball.
As Troy Brown would say...

Holley is about to give his round #1 pick...says it will be Offense. We'll see if he says Matthews or Spiller. I predict he says Matthews
(I pay attention to Holley ever since he gave us Mayo two years ago)

Holley is about to give his round #1 pick...says it will be Offense. We'll see if he says Matthews or Spiller. I predict he says Matthews

Holley chooses Dez Bryant

...quoting Don Banks. (Any predictions from Banks this time around?)

Jackson at #22 would be a brick-through-the-TV type of pick.

Man, lots of people talking about doing harm to their TVs tonight. If you get the urge, IM me first -- I'll gladly take your TVs off your hands! I'm in serious need of an upgrade. :D

I also see CB as a need. I believe that patchick does also.

The BOTTOM line is whether you want to count on Springs and Wheatley.
==============================================

Nickelbacks get more reps than NT. They get more reps than Warren.

Nickelback should be considered the equivalent of a starting position.

The reality is that at present we

1) are counting on Butler as a starter,

2) are counting on Wilhite as a nickel (starter equivalent),

3) have no adequate backup and would likely use a safety as a dime back, unless you all want to count on Wheatley (I think Springs is gone, but he could be the dime back), and

4) we have no quality reserves in case of injuries (unless you want to count on Springs to start as he did last year).

He was my pick in the "Dream Draft" thread from last night.

He doesn't have the crazy upside that some have. But I want guys who can transition to the NFL. I like that Jackson has played for a tough coach. I like that he has played a variety of schemes and techniques. It makes him more NFL ready and it makes scouting him easier because he's done more of the things he'll be asked to do.

I'd sacrifice some ceiling to gain some floor, I'd sacrifice some athleticism to get a man instead of a boy. That's why I want Jackon. And Teo'o Nesheim. And Alualu.

I would also like to get another CB, I like Bodden, I like Butler's upside. I think we could use a really good #3 CB and Wilhite would be a fine #4. With so many 3+ WR sets, the #3 CB is almost a starter. Not only is Wilhite iffy in that role but we're one injury away from JAGs from being the #3 guy. I'm one of the few who sees CB as a need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back