PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Referee Ed Hochuli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: lets all hope Ed Hochili

Glad I'm not the only one who's realized this. I thought maybe I was blinded by my homer glasses last week, but he's been equally horrible this week too. I'm glad he's looking the fool on national TV two weeks in a row. I'm hoping that it's enough to keep him out of the playoffs.

Like others, I remember Hochuli as a decent ref, but it really seems that Denver-SD game messed with his head, and he's been terrible since. I think part of it was the outpouring of support he got after that debacle from not only Mike Perreira, but also the media, who were calling him one of the best, etc. For someone who appears to be vain, I'm sure that kind of ballwashing had an impact. He's been sloppy and vainglorious ever since.

He sucks, and yes, he should be kept as far away from Foxboro as possible. Let him ref the game that the NFC Worst "champions" host.

Is not referring one of our playoff games. So many stupid flags in tonights game, its just ridiculous.

FWIW Reiss said after the packer game that BB actually likes hoculi because he explains to the coaches what the calls were which most refs dont bother to.

He seems to be a lot more jittery on the mic than he used to be.

Most of the other stuff people complain about are problems with Hochuli's crew, not Hochuli himself. For example, Hochuli did not spot the ball on that clinching drive, that was the side judge and the replay official, who decided not to challenge. And I can understand why the side judge got the spot wrong, because Pierre Thomas' body was screening the ball position from the side judge.

Last edited:

Hochuli officiating a playoff game would be a travisty

Hochuli has definitely lost his fastball but I would still take an inebtriated Hochuli over Jeff Triplette any day.

I don't want any part of him near a Pats' play-off game. Comparisons of him to others does nothing in my eyes to lessen my fear of seeing him and his crew, but you know it will probably happen.

Hochuli has definitely lost his fastball but I would still take an inebtriated Hochuli over Jeff Triplette any day.
Is Triplette still referring? Im not sure bur i don't think so.

Is Triplette still referring? Im not sure bur i don't think so.

He did the Cowboys/Cardinals game on Christmas.

Also I checked and he hasn't officiated any Patriots games this season. Makes me afraid that the Ginger Hammer is saving him for us in the playoffs.

I understand the R is the most visable part of the crew, but it always seems weird to see people criticizing the R for his crew's calls. Hochuli had pretty much zero calls all game. In terms of the calls that get people worked up, the R has virtually nothing to do with any of it. He's 20 to 50 yards away. He listens to his crew and announces it to the crowd. If one official tells him he has more information (e.g., the BJ telling him he saw something the LJ missed), he facilitates the discussion. If there's a question about the rule, he listens but gets the final say. Otherwise, on virtually every call, he does nothing other than listen and then call what he hears.

His responsibilites are pretty exclusively the QB and the kickers. He calls some backfield motion plays, but rarely. He has the in-or-out-of-the-tackle-box component of grounding. He's there for game management, spotting first downs, explaining the calls and going under the hood. Criticizing the R for PI calls is weird. It has nothing to do with him.

Hochuli's crew sucks this year. No doubt about it. Totally legit discussion, and I don't want that crew doing Patriots games. But making it about Hochuli and extrapolating to the notion that he's a megalomaniac because he works out seems . . . bizarre.

"arms" Hochuli has become more about him and his theatrics, rather than the integrity of the game.. big ego.

Ed Hercules was always one of the better refs, and concerned with getting the calls right. As PatsFaninAZ suggests, maybe the rest of his crew bites.

But, it's like different umps with different strike zones. Sounds like Belichick mentally prepares the team for flag-happy crews, etc.

P.S. I just wanted to say "Ed Hercules." My brother called him that a few years back and it stuck :)

Last edited:

Yea please no Hochili, the pass interference on both players was so stupid. No Mike Carey either...easiest holding call ever on eli's "great" escape.

Anyone have a replay of that samuel pass interference in denver in 05? Been trying to find it but never had a chance to go back and look at it. Was the worse call I've ever seen.

Have to agree with those here that said they'd take Hochuli over Jeff Triplette. At least with Hochuli there is a good chance that the bad calls go both ways.

Hochili is getting worse with each game, how many times has he said 'There was no penalty on the play' this season?

Hochili is getting worse with each game, how many times has he said 'There was no penalty on the play' this season?

Better that than throwing a flag after having watched the stadium replay board.

As someone else has said, a lot of the complaints in this thread are about his crew, not Hochili. The double PI call last night had nothing to do with him. How many of the flags thrown when "no penalty on the play" was called were actually his? He simply announces the call. Serious question, is there a service which tracks the calls by official, not just by crew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back