PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Referee Ed Hochuli

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are starting to sound like Colts fans.

The McCourty hit was stupid and Banta Cain's hands to the face was questionable, but it didn't decide the game.

The Packers were playing to lose.

Only desperate teams onside kicks at the beginning of the game.

How many times did they run on 3 and 5 and convert?

How many times did Flynn dump it off for what should have been a minimal gain to Kuhn?

McCarthy was full of it when he was acting all pissed in his press conference saying "we came here to win".

Sure buddy. :rolleyes:

Had the Pats been able to stop the run, Flynn would've been exposed and made more mistakes.

I'll give Flynn credit for having a good game but his receivers were wide open because the Pats LB's kept cheating on the run.

This game reminded me a lot like the Eagles game in '07.

Sorry to say, but this is the blueprint to beat the Pats - good running game, fierce pass rush and the ability to play man to man.

The question is, will they run into a team that can do this?

Last edited:

The McCourty hit was stupid and Banta Cain's hands to the face was questionable, but it didn't decide the game.

And?

What's wrong with pointing out when a referee does a very poor job? People have pointed out the mistakes he made that benefited the Patriots, as well.

You can tell it's not simply complaining because the Pats lost.. because... well... the Patriots didn't lose.

But Hochuli and his crew did a very poor job, and part of that comes from Ed himself wanting to be a part of every game. A good referee should be unnoticeable, not throwing flags after staring at a video board for 20 seconds.

How many times did Flynn dump it off for what should have been a minimal gain to Kuhn?

McCarthy was full of it when he was acting all pissed in his press conference saying "we came here to win".

Had the Pats been able to stop the run, Flynn would've been exposed and made more mistakes.

I'll give Flynn credit for having a good game but his receivers were wide open because the LB's kept cheating on the run.

Sorry to say, but this is the blueprint to beat the Pats - good running game, fierce pass rush and the ability to play man to man.

No, the question is, will the run into a team that can do this at a time when the Patriots only have 4 healthy defensive lineman, in a game that the Patriots don't 'need' to win (meaning hurt guys aren't going to force themselves to play if they don't have to).

I don't know what you were asking from the Packers, considering that Flynn was on his first start. It seems to me they did a pretty good job of staying aggressive and coming up with a decent gameplan to give him his best chance at a win.

If I was coaching a team with a rookie QB, going up against a team that has a penchant for interceptions, but was unhealthy on the D-line, I'd run screens, draws and traps all day on 3rd and 5.

The call that bothered me the most was on McCourty's hit. I believe it was worthy of a call, but I don't believe the officials saw it live, and needed to use the replay board to get a good look at it.

My understanding is that this is not allowed, so I don't understand why the call was made.

Someone pointed out that the Pats probably got away with a deep DPI call, and a block in the back on Connolly's return. All in all, I'd say the officials did a generally poor job for both teams, although the Pats did not do themselves any favors in this area.

I don't think any of it compared to how bad Mike Carey did in Indy, though. After shoving his flag into his jockstrap in 2007, it's funny to see him work so hard to 'get the call right' aka hand the game to the Colts on a call that would have been a simple 'fair catch interference' against any other team. Not to mention giving Jax 5 downs on their early FG drive.

Looking at the replay to make a decision on the McCourty hit was simply wrong. I wonder why no other official spoke up during the discussion.

Regarding the officiating in the Colts-Jags game, Carey and crew did not have a good day at all. In addition to the plays you mentioned, on the 4th and 1 play where Jones-Drew fumbled, Antoine Bethea was lined up clearly offsides (It's at the 1:33 mark here.) Even though it was obvious, the officials missed it.

I usually like Ed..but I do know this..the Packers got a way with A TON of holding by that O line.

My gawd did they ever......got away with a couple facemasks as well......I think Hoch is usually pretty fair but last night.....he and his crew were abysmal...almost seemed Like Roger "Jet" God-dell was piped into their headsets......

Only desperate teams onside kicks at the beginning of the game.

I'll give Flynn credit for having a good game but his receivers were wide open because the Pats LB's kept cheating on the run.

Stop with the "blueprint" crap. It just makes you sound completely dumb.

The Packers are the best defense in the NFL. It's just absolutely ridiculous to assume every other team can play the same way with the same results.

For all the "blueprint" talk in 2007, the Giants beat us with a game plan as far removed from what the Eagles did as possible.

Yep, my understanding is that the Giants used the Browns game (that was won primarily by the defense) as a blueprint to stop the offense, and it was based on exploiting the wider splits taken by the Pats' interior lineman.

Hochuli is like most ego maniacal officials in all sports, he thinks the fans come to watch him. He should switch to baseball where he'd fit right in. The officiating in last night game was lopsided in favor of the Cheesheads but the best team won in spite of them.

I HATE baseball....love football, tennis, b-ball etc....
one of my faves
YouTube - George Carlin Baseball vs Football

Their complaining is just as legitimate as your complaining.

Where was I complaining? I am just pointing out that the Packers fans, out of both teams last night, really don't have anything to complain about.

P.S. go back to the Bills board if you have nothing intelligent to add. This has nothing to do with the Pats-Bills game.

Last edited:
Ed Hochuli is a GOD! :cool:

Where was I complaining? I am just pointing out that the Packers fans, out of both teams last night, really don't have anything to complain about.

P.S. go back to the Bills board if you have nothing intelligent to add. This has nothing to do with the Pats-Bills game.

Complaining about the refs is a time-honored tradition reserved for both teams' fans.

And honestly, there's been dubious calls both ways in that game. So the Packers do have something to complain about if your comrades do.

Complaining about the refs is a time-honored tradition reserved for both teams' fans.

And honestly, there's been dubious calls both ways in that game. So the Packers do have something to complain about if your comrades do.

But that wasn't even your point in your last post. You did a complete 180. The fact of the matter was that the Packers had more favorable calls last night, including a hands to the face call where both players had hands in the other guy's face. I was not complaining about refs, but I am just saying it is rather absurd for a Packer fan to complain about calls with the way they went for the most part last night. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, coming to a Patriots board and posting in thread that is unrelated to the Bills. I welcome intelligent back and forth with opposing fans, but not if you just want to inflame for no apparent reason.

Their complaining is just as legitimate as your complaining.

Penalties against the Patriots: 7/52 yards

One of these was a BS call that canceled out a game ending interception, another was facemask against Wilfork while he was clearly being held.

Penalties against the Packers: 2/15 yards

One of these was a 5 yard penalty when the Patriots had 4-11 and were punting.

Hey Trey!!! Yo,wassup?...hey man...I got sumpin fo ya...

s_norwood_i.jpg

scott_norwood.jpg

My other thought for the night, was that there were several instances of when the Packers would call for a flag...well after the play ended..and get one.
Yep, this is one thing I'm surprised nobody mentioned earlier in the thread. I kept saying to the people I was watching with "if they were smart they'd keep asking for them because they keep getting what they ask for"

But that wasn't even your point in your last post. You did a complete 180. The fact of the matter was that the Packers had more favorable calls last night, including a hands to the face call where both players had hands in the other guy's face. I was not complaining about refs, but I am just saying it is rather absurd for a Packer fan to complain about calls with the way they went for the most part last night. I don't know what you're trying to accomplish here, coming to a Patriots board and posting in thread that is unrelated to the Bills. I welcome intelligent back and forth with opposing fans, but not if you just want to inflame for no apparent reason.

I did no 180. As an impartial observer, I saw a game that if called unfairly, it was against both sides. One team was not favored. If the Packers had an edge in penalties, it's much more likely it was because they were more disciplined throughout. Some posters are complaining about uncalled holding calls. Seriously? There's holding on every line engagement. It goes both ways; there were arguable holding calls both ways.

And for you to point out the game sealing INT which was nullified by TBC's hands to the face as a bad call because the offensive lineman was doing it too is quite funny. His was most assuredly a penalty anyways, so the most that would have happened is the penalties would've offset, which achieves the same effect.

And even if the Packers had obvious bias of calls, are you saying they aren't allowed to have a problem with an obvious no-call? A blatantly obvious no-call at that?

Where's my about-face? My stance has been the same.

4 straight bowl appearances..4 straight heart wrenching losses...so..where'd you have your heart transplant done?...Texas?

4 straight bowl appearances..4 straight heart wrenching losses...so..where'd you have your heart transplant done?...Texas?

Fun fact: if you slow down the tape about 100x, you can see the ghost of Lombardi sharting in Norwood's face just before he made contact with the ball.

Last edited:
watched the McCourty sequence again, hoping to see King Ed take a look at the video board on TV. Unfortunately, you can't see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back