PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Referee Ed Hochuli

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did no 180. As an impartial observer, I saw a game that if called unfairly, it was against both sides. One team was not favored. If the Packers had an edge in penalties, it's much more likely it was because they were more disciplined throughout. Some posters are complaining about uncalled holding calls. Seriously? There's holding on every line engagement. It goes both ways; there were arguable holding calls both ways.

And for you to point out the game sealing INT which was nullified by TBC's hands to the face as a bad call because the offensive lineman was doing it too is quite funny. His was most assuredly a penalty anyways, so the most that would have happened is the penalties would've offset, which achieves the same effect.

And even if the Packers had obvious bias of calls, are you saying they aren't allowed to have a problem with an obvious no-call? A blatantly obvious no-call at that?

Where's my about-face? My stance has been the same.
I stopped reading after the bolding comment. There was no application of consistent referring for both sides.

Packers fans are welcome to complain about the officiating. Fortunately for them they were on the better side of the ledger given the blatant penalties that were committed by their lines they weren't called for.

When one side is penalized the other isn't for exactly the same penalty right in front of the officials you start asking yourself questions. Your failure to recognize that overrules your apparent "impartiality".

Last edited:
This game reminded me of an NBA playoff game, the kind where there's no doubt which team the league office in NYC wants to win. They were looking for every reason possible to penalize the Patriots, but not the other way. Compare the hyper-officiating in this game with the rather casual way the league is looking into tripgate.

I understand that refereeing is a crapshoot. The thing that bothered me was the delayed reaction on several big penalties. We've established that they watched the replay on the McCourty call (morons working the jumbotron to be thanked), but there was another 15-yarder that took a long time to acknowledge that was equally annoying.

The meriweather interception felt delayed but that could have just been the NBC crew slouching. The packers lineman really sold that hands to the face penalty while he had tbc by the facemask.

The meriweather interception felt delayed but that could have just been the NBC crew slouching. The packers lineman really sold that hands to the face penalty while he had tbc by the facemask.

I thought the same when I watched it, but in the replay it seems like he threw it pretty soon!

This game reminded me of an NBA playoff game, the kind where there's no doubt which team the league office in NYC wants to win. They were looking for every reason possible to penalize the Patriots, but not the other way. Compare the hyper-officiating in this game with the rather casual way the league is looking into tripgate.

Preach on, Brother Spiral! When two guys are hurtling into each other at high velocity and one of them makes a last second move that accidentally causes a helmet-to-helmet hit, that's worth $50,000. But when a guy very deliberately sticks out his knee to trip a guy with virtually no risk of being harmed himself, knowing full well the other guy could suffer a career-ending injury... oh well, boys will be boys.

Well, the zebras did an equally dubious job last night as well. There were some BS penalties called, and a few more of these long conferences. Thank Jetdell for this one. He's got those guys running scared.

One NON-call, that really helped us was on Connelly's return. Right near the end of it, you see a Patriot player drive into the kickers back with both hands, and send him flying. It EASILY could have (should have?) been called a block in the back.

The "penalty" occurred on the 9 yrad line.

They get the ball on the 19 with 2 minutes.

That hardly would qualify as "really helped".

The "penalty" occurred on the 9 yrad line.

They get the ball on the 19 with 2 minutes.

That hardly would qualify as "really helped".

Umm, you don't see any advantage to getting the ball on the 4 yd line vs the 19? Wow.

There was a lot of holding in this game by the Packers because part of their game plan was to defeat the two-gap by controlling the blocking and not allowing defensive players to shed.

There is no "blue-print" to beat the Patriots...nor has there ever been. The idea that there could be is just plain stupid.

Not that the Patriots are invincible at all. But every week and every game is it's own entity. What works for one team has NOTHING to do with any other game.

Let me know when you find that "Blueprint"!:rolleyes:

You guys are starting to sound like Colts fans.

The McCourty hit was stupid and Banta Cain's hands to the face was questionable, but it didn't decide the game.

The Packers were playing to lose.

Only desperate teams onside kicks at the beginning of the game.

How many times did they run on 3 and 5 and convert?

How many times did Flynn dump it off for what should have been a minimal gain to Kuhn?

McCarthy was full of it when he was acting all pissed in his press conference saying "we came here to win".

Sure buddy. :rolleyes:

Had the Pats been able to stop the run, Flynn would've been exposed and made more mistakes.

I'll give Flynn credit for having a good game but his receivers were wide open because the Pats LB's kept cheating on the run.

This game reminded me a lot like the Eagles game in '07.

Sorry to say, but this is the blueprint to beat the Pats - good running game, fierce pass rush and the ability to play man to man.

The question is, will they run into a team that can do this?

The strange thing with Hochuli (in Sunday's game) is that he is the ultimate Homer referee who'll landslide everything in favor of the home team or the heavy favorite road team.

The strange thing with Hochuli (in Sunday's game) is that he is the ultimate Homer referee who'll landslide everything in favor of the home team or the heavy favorite road team.

The Suck-up was just trying to impress Godell!:mad:

lets all hope Ed Hochili

Is not referring one of our playoff games. So many stupid flags in tonights game, its just ridiculous.

Re: lets all hope Ed Hochili

If Hochuli shows up for a Pats playoff game, I can only assume the fix is on from Goodell.

No way Hoch should be in the play-offs or any NFL game for that matter.

I thought that a few years ago he and his crews were pretty decent but he has been downright awful these past 3 years.

He should go back to his law practice or the gym in AZ and stay there.

Last edited:

Hoch loves the limelight and relishes the camera being focused on the "guns" that he is known for and that he has worked so hard to maintain after all these years. He's a flag happy fool because of it.

I hope him and his left-handed first down signal are no where near Rt 1 in Foxboro during the month of January.

Last edited:

On the subject of refs. I finally got around to watching the hilights of the Colts/Raiders game and they showed 2 pass interference calls against the Raiders. That's what scares me the most about playing the Colts, the fact that they are basically given about 100 yards of offense in important games so you not only have to beat them but beat the refs also, you know any little contact against one of their receivers is going to get called.

I'm watching the Falcons Vs Saints game where Ed is the referee. There are some stupid calls made in this game. And also in the beginning where there were flags thrown for no reason wtf.

Tirico: "On this last play, if one more official threw a flag we'd have an amusement park".

On the subject of refs. I finally got around to watching the hilights of the Colts/Raiders game and they showed 2 pass interference calls against the Raiders. That's what scares me the most about playing the Colts, the fact that they are basically given about 100 yards of offense in important games so you not only have to beat them but beat the refs also, you know any little contact against one of their receivers is going to get called.[/QUOTE

I was watching the replays of that game and was thinking the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft