PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ref on illegal contact: "It's an offensive game."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do what the Seahawks did anyway. Be ultra aggressive on every single defensive snap and dare them to slow the game down to a crawl. They won't.

Last edited:
Do what the Seahawks did anyway. Be ultra aggressive anyway and dare them to slow the game down to a crawl. They won't.
I hope they pull a Seattle. Browner isnt going to shy away from contact..neither is revis. Grind it out baby

Revis said something about the rule changes and how it's a whole new learning game from him...I say keep.being physical.

I hope they pull a Seattle. Browner isnt going to shy away from contact..neither is revis. Grind it out baby

Revis said something about the rule changes and how it's a whole new learning game from him...I say keep.being physical.

Exactly. You'll get a few flags at first but there is no way in Hell they're going to have a game last 6 hours to flag every single passing play under this new point of emphasis. For one, the crowd will rain down Hell on them. For another, their faces will be all over sports talk shows and television with scorn being directed their way.

I don't necessarily disagree but one correction .... It's not fantasy football driving this. It's TV ratings. And, every owner, including Kraft is complicit.

So long as TV ratings continue to go up they will continue to legislate against the D so as to produce more scoring which, they believe, begets more ratings.

Someone pointed to the NBA in an earlier post, and I agree, it is the same mindset. The NBA wants spectacular dunks , so they allow guys to basically travel from mid-court. I can't watch that crap anymore because of it (well, among other reasons, too.)

I'm rating this thread a foul.....
penalty flag.jpg
Let 'em fly boys. Let's turn football into baseball. 4+ hours of yawning and conjecture

Schefter I think had a stat that showed there were almost as many flags thrown for illegal contact in the first week of preseason than there were ALL of last year combined.

Seems insane.

I don't get it .... why is anyone unhappy about this?

Calling more illegal contact penalties will favor the passing game which will mean teams with top QB's should benefit even more.

It's not just Manning who benefits from such a situation. It just so happens we have arguably the GOAT QB at the helm, ready to take advantage of the situation should it come to pass.

Frankly, I'm stoked about it.

Calling more illegal contact penalties will favor the passing game which will mean teams with top QB's should benefit even more.

It's not just Manning who benefits from such a situation. It just so happens we have arguably the GOAT QB at the helm, ready to take advantage of the situation should it come to pass.

Because Revis, Browner, and (to a lesser extent) Dennard are very physical corners. We just spent the offseason constructing the secondary only to watch this new point of emphasis. That's why.

Because Revis, Browner, and (to a lesser extent) Dennard are very physical corners. We just spent the offseason constructing the secondary only to watch this new point of emphasis. That's why.

True I suppose, but any possible downgrade in their performance, due to the rule emphasis, will surely be offset by the benefit this gives our passing offense, led by perhaps the GOAT at the QB spot.

I can see a team like Seattle or SF (which relies on strong defense) being peeved but the last thing I'm going to complain about are rules which make, what is easily the strength of this team, even stronger.

two words

Joe Flacco.

Joe Flacco is NOT a top tier QB, but he does have a big arm, and now he can just chuck it down field and let his speedy recievers chase after it knowing hes going to, at the very least, get 10 yards and a free first down.

two words

Joe Flacco.

Joe Flacco is NOT a top tier QB, but he does have a big arm, and now he can just chuck it down field and let his speedy recievers chase after it knowing hes going to, at the very least, get 10 yards and a free first down.

You're unhappy about this because it benefits Flacco ?

Take your tall, lanky WR who leap out of the gym but can't get off press man.

Set him in motion.

Let him run a slant off the line, until he gets to the 5 yard mark.

Have him cut upfield.

Lob him the pass.

Profit.

He's right. Having games decided by ticky-tack penalties that didn't actually impact a play IS pretty offensive.

I imagine he is unhappy about it because it waters down what it means to be a top tier QB.

Personally, I don't like it because it makes the game very one-sided which calls into question whether or not it is still a game at all.

I'm unhappy because it means anyone who can throw it 60 yards down field is now a Top tier QB.

It's no longer about anticipating receivers, or finding weaknesses in the defense. Just chuck it as far as you can, if your WR is faster then the DB you are getting a first down at a bare minimum.

Brady isn't top tier because he can throw bombs, hes Top tier because he can pick defenses apart. Brady's skill set isn't built around this videogame style where you chuck it down field 30 times a game.

Might as well start mallet and Slater and just have them get flags to move it up and down the field.

I live with an NFL ref (and personally know virtually all of them) so I actually think I am a little more aware on the "emphasis" than you are.

So what are the refs saying? Ring for Peyton this year?

So what are the refs saying? Ring for Peyton this year?

Lol despite what you all may think about refs, I think what gets lost in all of this, is that these are professionals. There are A LOT of officials in the country. A LOT. I am one (high school now, since I just started). There are 119 total officials in the NFL. 17 at each position.

So to sacrifice time from your family, spend countless hours of driving to the middle of no where working your way up, among many other things, officials don't throw out their credibility because they "grew up here" or "saw so-and-so play".

They made the NFL for a reason. Its extremely difficult to do and I just find it laughable how much hate is thrown their way. They aren't perfect, at all. Some are definitely better than others, but at the end of the day, an average NFL official gets 98% of their calls correct.

And all of them are graded on every, single, play.

Not to mention the family aspect. You really think an NFL referee, whose name is said on national television, would want his family to receive death threats after missed calls (which are almost ALL actually another official's call)? By another official's call I mean, if the head referee received death threats (which happens regularly btw), and the call was actually made by one of his down-field officials.

Is the new troll a mult?

I'm unhappy because it means anyone who can throw it 60 yards down field is now a Top tier QB.

It's no longer about anticipating receivers, or finding weaknesses in the defense. Just chuck it as far as you can, if your WR is faster then the DB you are getting a first down at a bare minimum.

Brady isn't top tier because he can throw bombs, hes Top tier because he can pick defenses apart. Brady's skill set isn't built around this videogame style where you chuck it down field 30 times a game.

Might as well start mallet and Slater and just have them get flags to move it up and down the field.

You make it sound like the IC emphasis will be limited to just downfield throws. Calls will be made in short and intermediate routes as well and, if one has a QB that excels in this range, then life is grand if the receivers make to their spots un-interrupted.

In fact, for a team like the Pats, with an offense that is largely based around quicker receivers (who are more easily controlled by aggressive and physical corners) and a QB who is surgical in the short to intermediate range which, this could be just what the doctor ordered. Let's see what happens when Talib play off Edelman or Amendola.

Add a guy like Gronk, someone who can only truly be stopped if defenders get their hands on him at some point in his route, and this is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3