PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Record training camp attendance of 12,163 (Update: Broken 24 Hours Later with 13,654)

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of Pats fans will never be satisfied with any amount of football coverage unless they get less baseball coverage, too.

Hey, that works for me! :rocker:

Boston is a baseball town, always has been, and probably always will. Go Patriots!

It's a baseball town because of inbred parochialism dating back 100 years. Also, because the team actually plays within city limits (unlike the Patriots) and it's small by big-city standards. The Patriots are more regionally-oriented and definitely are more popular outside the Route 95 beltway than the Bankofamericasox.

It's cyclical. There was a time when the Bruins were the trendy team and their tickets were impossible to get your hands on, during the Orr-Esposito days. Later it was the Celtics, during the larry Bird era. After that it was the Red Sox ... and for some reason it still is.

Why the Patriots haven't taken over is tough to figure out. Perhaps it's a combination of things such as the business relationships with certain media outlets, the stadium not being located in the city, the difference in schedules (162 games vs 16 games), or something else.

As long as "the curse" was active the Red Sox could weather a bad year, or decade. Now that the big drought is over, three or four years being lousy will make the Red Sox just another baseball team.

The only reason I care about the Red Sox, and baseball in general, is because of the positive memories that it brings up from my childhood, watching games in the summer with my father and grandfather while hearing stories about Ted, Yaz, et al. The Red Sox are all habit and nostalgia, whereas I genuinely enjoy the hell out of the Patriots and Celtics.

Also doesn't help that this year's Sox organization, from ownership down through management and the roster, is one of the most unlikable groups I've ever had the displeasure of rooting for.

Denver had a record of 4200 as well.

Last edited:
I can remember days when there were plenty of spots in the shade to watch TC.

The crop of FA & rookies added to this SB team along with the anticipation of another Josh led Offense has really psyched up the fan base this year.

Everyone wants to get a peek at the new additions that wil make this offense unstoppable and improve the D to a point of respectability.

Monday can't get here fast enough for me as I'll be there. :rocker:

Every year, more and more aging Sox fans die. For many years the number of young replacements has fallen far short. When enough of the old fogies are gone, the Sox are going to crumble under the weight of no salary cap. I hope it happens to all of baseball.

Actually it is not the lack of salary cap - heck that is helping them since they are a "rich" team.

What will kill the Sox is the late games. The series against the Yankees in 2004 had all 7 games end in the morning.

Rabid fans had to decide to either watch or go to work the next day. Kids with decent parents had to go to bed.

MLB, with their prime time in L.A. at all cost starts, is making sure they have no replacement fans.

...Boston is a baseball town, always has been, and probably always will. Go Patriots!

Sorry only mediots who have the same silent partner as the Red Sox think that.*

It is now old, but I remember a pre-season game the Patriots played against the Bungles got higher ratings than a regular season Sox-Yankees game. Did I mention the Sox-Yankees game was during a pennant race? In August. Pre-season. Against a non-rival who (at the time) sucked

* Here is how it works. Sports "journalist on the Red Sox beat gets access because the team is essentially a different division of their company. For similar access to the Patriots he'd actually have to work. Hey, I'm not saying I'd be different. I'd rather have the chicken story spoon fed to me by "leaks" than have to develop contacts and do the leg work for a parallel Patriots story. And, yes, I'd parrot the baseball town thing too in that case.

More games= more revue. MLB averages over 30K per game.

There are plenty of young people who detest football.

Since you hate baseball, you'd probably never meet any. That's not hard to figure out.

The reality is, it's a lil specious to assume a sport that has grown revenue 430% in the past 15 years is "dying".

Now, how anyone suffers through basketball is the real question.

My father identifies himself as a baseball fan who likes football when their is no other game on.

We watched a replay of the 2001 snow bowl on NFL network a couple of years ago. He literally was on the edge of his seat even though we both know everything that happened in that game.

I've see him read the paper during baseball games.

Let's look at the off-season for crying out loud.

The NFL combine and draft was more interesting than this baseball season (except for here in DC).

Let's look at the off-season for crying out loud.

The NFL combine and draft was more interesting than this baseball season (except for here in DC).
Best off season I can ever remember. Between the draft, the FA signings, the Saints, Peyton and Tebow there was not like a minute to feel like the bottom had dropped out right up until the end of mini camps.

Baseball is embedded in NE life but it is really suffering a malaise at this time. It's gone stale. It can't even compete with preseason games. Watch the ratings in August when they go head to head with the Pats.

I can remember days when there were plenty of spots in the shade to watch TC.
Not at Foxboro I guess. RI? Foxboro is unforgiving if you don't like the sun. Whatever trees they could have had decided to lay down and die to pack one more car in there.

I'd like to know if they erected more bleachers because 13k people is a LOT of people for that facility. Last time I was there you might put half that number in there and say, "Geez, what a huge crowd today."

Where are they stuffing all those people?

Man, can you imagine as many people as would attend a Celtics play off game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back