PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Record training camp attendance of 12,163 (Update: Broken 24 Hours Later with 13,654)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every year, more and more aging Sox fans die. For many years the number of young replacements has fallen far short. When enough of the old fogies are gone, the Sox are going to crumble under the weight of no salary cap. I hope it happens to all of baseball.

Last edited:
Do people realize the Steelers, Colts or Patriots have been in 10 of the last 11 Super Bowls.

Now, obviously, that has a lot to do with quarterbacking. Especially for the Colts & Pats.

People tend to have opinions deeply ingrained and to look for facts to support their arguments. It's rare to find people that gather the facts and then form their opinion. That's where the "salary cap = must" comes from, because it's simply not true that a salary cap is a necessity for a successful league.

People tend to have opinions deeply ingrained and to look for facts to support their arguments. It's rare to find people that gather the facts and then form their opinion. That's where the "salary cap = must" comes from, because it's simply not true that a salary cap is a necessity for a successful league.

And I'd add to that I don't see evidence that the salary cap is the reason the NFL is great, or even a reason.

Front offices are going to be smart or stupid with their money whether a salary cap exists or not.

Every year, more and more aging Sox fans die. For many years the number of young replacements has fallen far short. When enough of the old fogies are gone, the Sox are going to crumble under the weight of no salary cap. I hope it happens to all of baseball.

Since 1995, MLB revenues have gone from $1.8 billion to $7.7 billion. That's better than the NFL. Avg attendance is a lil over 30K.

The bigger than life aura that surrounds the NFL is driven by the weekly game concept that makes them "events".

You seriously think ratings would stay at their level if the NFL played 162 games? There is discussion on interest loss with 18 games!

Where the two sports are not on rough parity is in the secondary markets. Pittsburgh is a good example. However, now that the Pirates are showing promise, game attendance is now well over 30,000.

If you look at the big market teams, Boston/NY/Philly/Chicago/SF...each sport franchise is in reasonable balance.

jeezus..."old fogeys","fans over sixty","grandpa's in rocking chairs"....you young guys sure have a lot of contempt for us "old" guys. Don't look now, but something is gaining on YOU every day...and it ain't the train to Disneyworld...the real truth is even us old fogeys have waned in our fandom since the B.O.A Sox decided to market the team to the pink hat posse.I LOVE the Patriots and the way they do business....I cannot stomach the way the Sox have been marketed and refuse to spend a penny on their overpriced ,undersized seating or their Fenway "brick" scams. Hope I feel the same way when I'm 80....:yeeha:

You seriously think ratings would stay at their level if the NFL played 162.

No. Besides being super boring and having no salary cap, the huge number of games is one of the biggest problems with baseball. Mark my words, as the older generation starts wittling down, the Sox are going to collapse. Nothing against the old fogies, I just don't understand why you'd follow such a boring sport.

Last edited:
No. Besides being super boring and having no salary cap, the huge number of games is one of the biggest problems with baseball. Mark my words, as the older generation starts wittling down, the Sox are going to collapse. Nothing against the old fogies, I just don't understand why you'd follow such a boring sport.

This is a football site, a lot of people will agree with you. OTH, try even getting on the dirty dog site, which is an electronic media site, ie, younger generation. I don't care for the present Sox, can't stand Valentine, and could give you the racist history of that organization. Having said that, Boston is a baseball town, always has been, and probably always will. Go Patriots!

More games= more revue. MLB averages over 30K per game.

There are plenty of young people who detest football.

Since you hate baseball, you'd probably never meet any. That's not hard to figure out.

The reality is, it's a lil specious to assume a sport that has grown revenue 430% in the past 15 years is "dying".

Now, how anyone suffers through basketball is the real question.

Last edited:
More games= more revue. MLB averages over 30K per game.

There are plenty of young people who detest football.

Since you hate baseball, you'd probably never meet any. That's not hard to figure out.

The reality is, it's a lil specious to assume a sport that has grown revenue 430% in the past 15 years is "dying".

Now, how anyone suffers through basketball is the real question.

None of that changes the fact that there are far fewer young baseball fans being produced every year. The fanbase of baseball is aging, and in time teams that are paying out the huge salaries are going to implode.

On the other hand, football is growing ever faster with the young generations and makes every game important.

I'm one of the old fogies who, in spite of eating, sleeping and drinking baseball as a child, as well as playing it and teaching it as an adult for another thirty years, will never watch another MLB game ever again.

The thought that years from now some fans will be arguing over who is better, Rafael Palmero or Willie Mays, makes me kind of sick to my stomach.

The best use of a MLB highlight that I've seen in the last two decades is to show a clip of some stupid play by a player and use it to teach a young team the proper way.

Look at the Asian players that come to play here and see how their skills stand out at the beginning but then diminish into the lazy, no work ethic skills that exist with MLB players now. In three years they go from great all-around players, making all the plays and throws, to clones of the present day pampered players.

I think it may have all started when the players wanted to be known as entertainers and not athletes, and the veterans on teams started to tell the bright-eyed rookies to take it easy.

It also could have had to do with the Steroid Show that MLB gave us, starring Mike McGuire and Sammy Sooser.

You couldn't pay me to watch the Red Sox or any other MLB team, although I'd love to be in the first row at Fenway giving Ortiz some razzing, at least until his rumpswab fans started to cry.

None of that changes the fact that there are far fewer young baseball fans being produced every year. The fanbase of baseball is aging, and in time teams that are paying out the huge salaries are going to implode.

On the other hand, football is growing ever faster with the young generations and makes every game important.

Alter the "fact"?

Are you demographer?

......and still the Boston Globe thinks we're all just hanging on their in depth reports about Bobby Valentine's favorite diner or Josh Beckett's lucky belt.

Hmm, the Boston Globe? You mean the paper that made THIS its front cover today?

scaled.php

Perhaps we could all use a little reality check on what it means to be "neglected." ;)

I think attendance today was higher today then yesterday.

Hmm, the Boston Globe? You mean the paper that made THIS its front cover today?

scaled.php

Perhaps we could all use a little reality check on what it means to be "neglected." ;)

That was opening day for TC. And the Sox had the day off yesterday.

Go to Boston.com right now and see the FOUR (yes, 4) separate breathtaking team coverages on the once in a lifetime crisis of the Wally costume theft/misplacement.

I kid you not:

http://live.boston.com/Event/Wheres_Wally_The_hunt_for_Wally_the_Green_Monster

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseba...he-years/clRCJPdAbY8OVuiIkXySON/pictures.html

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...from-fenway/mKDnTHAlgB6bYuWLUf85rI/story.html

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/specials/submit_wheres_wally/

Last edited:
Go to Boston.com right now and see the FOUR (yes, 4) separate breathtaking team coverage stories on the crisis of the Wally costume theft/misplacement.

Ah, this is the crux of the matter. It's not really about the Patriots being "under-covered," is it? Because they're clearly, objectively not. The Patriots get a HUGE amount of coverage, locally as well as nationally. It's routine during the season to hear about reporters who cover other teams being awed by the vast throng that is the Patriots Beat when New England comes to town. You can count on every training camp practice being reported on in detail by a bunch of different outlets, and every actual game being covered to death.

It seems to me that the complaints are really about the Red Sox getting so much coverage. A lot of Pats fans will never be satisfied with any amount of football coverage unless they get less baseball coverage, too.

Personally, I just skip the baseball stories and enjoy the massive football coverage. It's easy! Here's a hint: you don't have to click on the all-sports home page. Here one link to get you started:

New England Patriots - Football & NFL News, Tickets, Schedule, Stats & Roster - Boston.com

Last edited:
jeezus..."old fogeys","fans over sixty","grandpa's in rocking chairs"....you young guys sure have a lot of contempt for us "old" guys. Don't look now, but something is gaining on YOU every day...and it ain't the train to Disneyworld...the real truth is even us old fogeys have waned in our fandom since the B.O.A Sox decided to market the team to the pink hat posse.I LOVE the Patriots and the way they do business....I cannot stomach the way the Sox have been marketed and refuse to spend a penny on their overpriced ,undersized seating or their Fenway "brick" scams. Hope I feel the same way when I'm 80....:yeeha:

Sorry if it came out that way about the 6o's remark. I just entered the 40's realm myself and just had surgery to repair a torn labrum on Tuesday so I'm a little looped up on the meds. My mortality is catching up to me.

Really didn't mean any disrespect again and apologize to any who were offended. I was just defending the point of maybe the Sox are not the biggest show in town anymore.

It's funny when I start to silently route for the underdog Pirates with the bitty payroll.

Ah, this is the crux of the matter. It's not really about the Patriots being "under-covered," is it? Because they're clearly, objectively not. The Patriots get a HUGE amount of coverage, locally as well as nationally. It's routine during the season to hear about reporters who cover other teams being awed by the vast throng that is the Patriots Beat when New England comes to town. You can count on every training camp practice being reported on in detail by a bunch of different outlets, and every actual game being covered to death.

It seems to me that the complaints are really about the Red Sox getting so much coverage. A lot of Pats fans will never be satisfied with any amount of football coverage unless they get less baseball coverage, too.

Personally, I just skip the baseball stories and enjoy the massive football coverage. It's easy! Here's a hint: you don't have to click on the all-sports home page. Here one link to get you started:

New England Patriots - Football & NFL News, Tickets, Schedule, Stats & Roster - Boston.com

It's easy to ignore, you are right. What I don't like is when someone goes on a national audience and describes the Red Sox as the cream of Boston sports no matter what. It creates a persona that is wrong that uneducated fans and media seem to take as gospel.

Apples and oranges.

I'm talking about the Globe and youre talking about Boston media in general. The Boston media in general is all over the Pats. For good reason. The Globe is being pulled along. They fought it for years and years. They cover the Pats because completely not doing so would put them out of business.

I'll read Bedard (who is excellent) and SMY (who is good) - outside of that, the Globe has interns on the Pats. Another Shaughnessy column on the Pats with 12 Red Sox references or another Bob Ryan "This is a baseball town, d%#*!@t" column need not be dredged up again. I wont even mention the former Red Sox baseball writer with the high pitched voice who (for some reason) is now a general sports columnist there and has repeatedly told the Patriots fanbase that they should go jump off a cliff.

The Globe has had deep business interests in the Sox and alot of oldtimey columnists. Holley, Breer and Reiss escaped to be able to focus on the Pats.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes