PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reactions to Taylor Price Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taylor Price is a swing for the fences kid. He's got good size and good speed. Seems to have honed his skills. I'm not sure about his body control from watching the videos.

The big concern I have about him is competition.

Gilyard is a gamer who gives you his all, runs precise routes, plays bigger than his body, has great hands. Reminds me a lot of Deion Branch.

Price is a potential homerun, while Gilyard is a very safe 2nd/3rd type receiver.

The reason I hate letting myself get sucked into the evaluation and matching game annually is getting attached to the guys I pick as slam dunk Patriots based on scouting writeups... Killed me when Roberts went to AZ at 89... Almost as much as Misi going to Tuna at 42... And I can barely talk about Asamoah...who at least will help keep Cassel upright. I'm warming to Gronk after that rousing selection celebration. Just hope he's not too rusty and the back holds up... As for Taylor, sounds like he has upside if he achieves it. I'd have preferred a higher floor player to the potential higher ceiling one.

But at any rate we've apparently plugged obvious holes and potentially added an impact ILB and 2011 2nd in the process. And we still have several picks to make. At this point I'm giving up on guessing, will just let Bill surprise me... IBBIT

A little scary we drafted a wr from the MAC who wasn't even First Team, but - and how is this for baseless knee-jerk analysis - I listened to the thirty second phone welcome call that the Pats tweeted, and he sounded very mature and intelligent. Basically, he spoke and composed himself like a college gradauate. (Unlike, say, a hulking, helmet-toting second rounder I know ;) )

Last edited:
He started strong during Senior Bowl week, and faded away as the week went on, in the game he disappeared. 4.4 speed, good change of direction, reportedly his hands and routes are okay. I'm hoping for another WR in this draft.

I wanted Gilyard too but the FO thought it had something better in this guy, and they just might. I'm hearing he's extremely speedy, crisp route runner, with good hands who is willing to go over the middle. The downside is that his blocking needs work and he didn't play in a passing offense so he learning curve (especially here) might be steep.

I didnt want a WR so early, but I'm okay with it if BB sees something. He'll compete with Tate and Holt, but it looks like we'll be starting the year with 6 competent WRs.

Moss
Welker
Edelman
Holt
Tate
Price
Aiken

I assume this means Welker or Tate is going to be on PUP. If everyone plays well keep 6 WRs and 2 TEs probably

A little scary we drafted a wr from the MAC who wasn't even First Team, but - and how is this for baseless knee-jerk analysis - I listened to the thirty second phone welcome call that the Pats tweeted, and he sounded very mature and intelligent. Basically, he spoke and composed himself like a college gradauate. (Unlike, say, a hulking, helmet-toting second rounder I know ;) )

Oh come on. If you're a Pats fan, you have to love the Gronk celebration. Not only was he pumped to be a Patriot, but he also seemed to enjoy pissing the Jets fans off.

:rocker:

I'm pissed that McDaniels stole Decker away from us. But it's pretty obvious the Pats are trying to improve the speed and toughness of this team. They got the speed in Price and McCourty and all 5 players are quite physical.

Oh come on. If you're a Pats fan, you have to love the Gronk celebration. Not only was he pumped to be a Patriot, but he also seemed to enjoy pissing the Jets fans off.

:rocker:

Oh yeah loved the Gronk thing, but the dude doesn't exactly exude intelligence. (Not necessarily a bad thing when your job is to bash into people.)

But honestly listen to that Twitter link if you can. Price sounds very cogent and mature. I'll paste it in a sec.

Here it is:

http://bit.ly/bJUtzI

Last edited:
Love the Price pick. He's got all the tools to be a complete receiver....and he only switched from cornerback two years ago.

He's live right now on Sirius NFL. Cool.

The reason I hate letting myself get sucked into the evaluation and matching game annually is getting attached to the guys I pick as slam dunk Patriots based on scouting writeups... Killed me when Roberts went to AZ at 89... Almost as much as Misi going to Tuna at 42... And I can barely talk about Asamoah...who at least will help keep Cassel upright. I'm warming to Gronk after that rousing selection celebration. Just hope he's not too rusty and the back holds up... As for Taylor, sounds like he has upside if he achieves it. I'd have preferred a higher floor player to the potential higher ceiling one.

But at any rate we've apparently plugged obvious holes and potentially added an impact ILB and 2011 2nd in the process. And we still have several picks to make. At this point I'm giving up on guessing, will just let Bill surprise me... IBBIT

I feel ya.

Odrick to the Dolphins hurt. Wilson to the Jets was painful. Add Tyson Alualu, Andre Roberts, Damien Williams, and McCluster to the list.

BUT...

I'm very happy with Taylor Price. Scouts say a lot about his route running ability and hands. I see him as an extremely safe pick that played against some decent secondaries. I dream of him being the next Tory Holt, so it is good to have Tory Holt on the team to show him how to be a pro.

Kinda liked Mardy Gilyard more, seems like another guy the Pats will try to be a deep threat, how have those worked out?
see Johnson, Bethel
and
Jackson, Chad

SO we should just stop trying then?

It's a draft there's hit... edleman and miss... jackson

This kid will be a Wayne Chrebet type player for us.

After passing on Dez Bryant, the Pats finally pick a receiver -- the best to emerge from Peter King's alma mater. Has good measurables, great confidence, high ceiling.

He is the guy I have the most doubts about. If Pro Football Weekly's guide is to believed we may have another Bethel Johnson; very fast timed speed but slow in and out of cuts. McCourty will steal his lunch money. You would hope that BB would know enough not to draft another Gator like Chad Jackson...I hope. This is the one pick that smacks of Pete Carroll; we have a lot of picks so let's take a flier on this guy.

I hope I am wrong but it sure looks as if BB has got another WR miscue. Of course BB knows a wee bit more about football than me ;) so I am not too worried...yet. BB has a bad tack record on WRs; hopefully Floyd Reese was involved here.

I never heard of this kid before we drafted him.

I feel better after watching this video...

YouTube - WR Taylor Price vs Tennessee Volunteers 2009
Not bad vs the SEC competition (even if it was just Tennessee).

But goddamn did that kid have to put up with some bad qb play. Training camp will be a once change of pace for him.

I'm with you both there. Whoever did the video for Universal Draft loved the guy by the looks of things. Horrible QB play.

We'll see what Moss/Holt/Welker can get out of him :rocker:

Taylor Price is a swing for the fences kid. He's got good size and good speed. Seems to have honed his skills. I'm not sure about his body control from watching the videos.

The big concern I have about him is competition.

Gilyard is a gamer who gives you his all, runs precise routes, plays bigger than his body, has great hands. Reminds me a lot of Deion Branch.

Price is a potential homerun, while Gilyard is a very safe 2nd/3rd type receiver.

I think Gilyard has some character issues and is the reason he is slipping.

Price reminds me a little of David Givens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back