PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread REACTIONS: Preseason Game 1: NE vs HOU

Immediate Postgame Reactions
Onwenu is not a top right tackle hence 4 / 50 here with some incentives to push to 55 . Mafi seems to be decent at guard. Push him in and hopefully he improves.

Brown at LT with reif and Anderson / Steuber/McDermott as swing tackles.

I just don't see a spot for Sow unless it's a backup guard .

Ferentz might be safer than Russey/Hines/ J Andrew for backup center.

Yeah I would field a line of Brown/Strange/D.Andrews/Mafi/Onwenu to start, with Anderson as a swing tackle and Reiff as an additional backup tackle, Ferentz to cover the IOL in general, one other reserve guard (Murray? Hines?) and J.Andrews who would really only play if Ferentz is already covering someone else and D.Andrews also gets hurt. It'd be 10 total linemen.

You two go upstairs right now and wash your mouths out with soap.

I agree. He was put in a position where he would fail i.e LT. As a RT he is more than serviceable . If we get Anderson back for regular season it would be brown, McDermott, Anderson and reiff .

Are there any players who can be backup for both guard and center ?

Russey's done it here; Hines did it in college; don't know about Jake Andrews off the top of my head...

Individual player evaluation? Position competition?
Coaches put way more weight on training camp evaluation then preseason games. There is maybe 1 or 2 players that change minds during these games a year.

So much of these games is just trying things and player play is very much impacted by this and by playing next to players that are not that good.

I thought he was done with that.

Ice up son?
He's recovering from off-season surgery. They're clearly being careful with a player they seem to have very big plans for.

I know, I'm helping you make a more accurate joke. :excited:

The joke was that posters are panicking so much that it appears as though we will go 0-20, when it is only possible to go 0-17. The joke was making fun of the "chicken littles". If you say we will go 0-17 there is no joke ;)

Look Ross, i dont mind your koolaid disposition, but theres hardly a need for additional BS is there?

We were talking about your delusional and misleading OL post. The fact that you did not answer a single fair question says enough.

McDermott who much of this board has as starting RT (and is ahead of Reiff in TC as far as i know) or at least a swing tackle played 52%.
He looked abysmal at LT most of the time which is hardly a surprise since he cant move and has only size going for him.
Ferentz who most of this board has as C2 played 81%. He had no business wearing NFL uniform in his prime and is now 34.
Sow who is making a team and is taking 1sts snaps in TC (so hardly a 3rd stringer) played 88%.
J.Andrews who is likely making a team 73%.

From the projected starters Reiff looks to be behind McDermott in TC (if thats even possible), T.Brown is not taking snaps, Strange is fully absent and Onwenu and Anderson are on reserve lists with no info on imminent activation let alone full practice.
So your “follow up“ statement that they “sat“ them is misleading at best.

btw
This team has exactly 3 OLs you can count on as starters (Strange-Andrews-Onwenu) and there are current injury questions even there.
If youre happy with this by all means..
what

Why didn't Mac get any snaps? Afraid he would get hurt behind the JV O-line? Doesn't he need more reps with the new offense?
With as bad as the offense has been the last few years, there's no reason why they couldn't have been out there for a drive or two. They have not earned that right, but apparently Bill is given them that treatment.

Joint practices are not the same as the real thing.

Teams have always run more to the right than left. MCDermott is a good run blocker…not so much a pass blocker. He is better suited at RT.
McDermott at LT means we’re the Titanic and we’ve already hit the iceberg.

I agree. He was put in a position where he would fail i.e LT. As a RT he is more than serviceable . If we get Anderson back for regular season it would be brown, McDermott, Anderson and reiff .

Are there any players who can be backup for both guard and center ?
Russey's done it here; Hines did it in college; don't know about Jake Andrews off the top of my head...
Cap, didn’t you overlook Ferentz?

With as bad as the offense has been the last few years, there's no reason why they couldn't have been out there for a drive or two. They have not earned that right, but apparently Bill is given them that treatment.

Joint practices are not the same as the real thing.
No, they're highly superior to the fake preseason games.

Agreed... mostly. I still worry.

I'm not criticizing or being a downer btw. I just think it's fair to worry until we see at least 4 of our presumptive starters practicing full-go at the same time. I could be wrong but I don't think we've seen that yet.
Yeah, who knows how it would've looked if the first string and full second string were out there. Maybe it still wouldn't have been that good. But it's important to keep in mind that it was a pretty severe mismatch as far as who was going against who, and the fact that some of those guys who "started" the game for NE won't even make the roster, in all likelihood - or if they do, they won't be playing the positions they were filling at that time.

I really don't want Ferentz as our top interior backup.

If all of Strange, David Andrews & Onwenu are still on-track to start Week 1, then I'm willing to carry all 3 rookies as my interior backups, plus at least one of whoever loses-out on both of the starting Tackle positions... If Siddy the Sow is considered a Tackle, then the 10th OLman should be either Russey or 'Hinds.

And that's only if another OLman or two isn't acquired via trade or waiver claim on Cut-Down Day.

No need for no Thanksdad no mo'.

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back