PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread REACTIONS: Preseason Game 1: NE vs HOU

Immediate Postgame Reactions
“Hey guys, just so you know, the Pats largely sat their first and second string but the Texans didn’t.”

That’s just… stating a fact. There’s no room for it to be delusional.

Look Ross, i dont mind your koolaid disposition, but theres hardly a need for additional BS is there?

We were talking about your delusional and misleading OL post. The fact that you did not answer a single fair question says enough.

McDermott who much of this board has as starting RT (and is ahead of Reiff in TC as far as i know) or at least a swing tackle played 52%.
He looked abysmal at LT most of the time which is hardly a surprise since he cant move and has only size going for him.
Ferentz who most of this board has as C2 played 81%. He had no business wearing NFL uniform in his prime and is now 34.
Sow who is making a team and is taking 1sts snaps in TC (so hardly a 3rd stringer) played 88%.
J.Andrews who is likely making a team 73%.

From the projected starters Reiff looks to be behind McDermott in TC (if thats even possible), T.Brown is not taking snaps, Strange is fully absent and Onwenu and Anderson are on reserve lists with no info on imminent activation let alone full practice.
So your “follow up“ statement that they “sat“ them is misleading at best.

btw
This team has exactly 3 OLs you can count on as starters (Strange-Andrews-Onwenu) and there are current injury questions even there.
If youre happy with this by all means..

deleted

About. Dam. Time.

I like Trevor Reid... A bit on the small-ish side, but he's bigger than Isaiah Wynn for instance... Good-enough arm length & wingspan... Needs more sand in his pants, but he's not weak either; and he's More than athletic enough for the position:

Trevor Reid - OT - Louisville - 2023 Draft Scout/NCAA College Football

We need a developmental Left Tackle in our building; that should be inarguable... It's practically sinful that one hasn't already been found this late in the process, but when considering that I would've preferred him to Isaiah Bolden at #245, Trevor Reid will do just fine, for now.
I like Trevor Reid a lot, I can't believe he's still sitting out there and didn't stick in a camp. Not only is the kid a great athlete, but he has really long arms (84 1/4 wingspan) his only weakness was he needs to get stronger. It would be nice if they bring him in.

Look Ross, i dont mind your koolaid disposition, but theres hardly a need for additional BS is there?

We were talking about your delusional and misleading OL post. The fact that you did not answer a single fair question says enough.

McDermott who much of this board has as starting RT (and is ahead of Reiff in TC as far as i know) or at least a swing tackle played 52%.
He looked abysmal at LT most of the time which is hardly a surprise since he cant move and has only size going for him.
Ferentz who most of this board has as C2 played 81%. He had no business wearing NFL uniform in his prime and is now 34.
Sow who is making a team and is taking 1sts snaps in TC (so hardly a 3rd stringer) played 88%.

From the projected starters Reiff looks to be behind McDermott in TC (if thats even possible), T.Brown is not taking snaps, Strange is fully absent and Onwenu and Anderson are on reserve lists with no info on imminent activation let alone full practice.

btw
This team has exactly 3 OLs you can count on as starters (Strange-Andrews-Onwenu) and there are current injury questions even there.
This is a lot of words ^

Bottom line is Trent Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu and Reiff are the starters and they're sitting.

What Ross said was 100% accurate.

Last edited:

btw

Not sure what your issue is with the OP, he provided context without further comment. My wife asks less questions when I stumble in 5 hours after my curfew.

McDermott has played well at times in camp at RT and IMO didn’t look as bad as people are saying against the Texans. I still think he has a chance to be an average starting RT and with Onwenu, Andrews, Strange and Brown on the line…that’s good enough IMO.

He’s a good run blocker… theirs no doubt about that.

McDermott has played well at times in camp at RT and IMO didn’t look as bad as people are saying against the Texans. I still think he has a chance to be an average starting RT and with Onwenu, Andrews, Strange and Brown on the line…that’s good enough IMO.

He’s a good run blocker… theirs no doubt about that.
I agree. He was put in a position where he would fail i.e LT. As a RT he is more than serviceable . If we get Anderson back for regular season it would be brown, McDermott, Anderson and reiff .

Are there any players who can be backup for both guard and center ?

This is a lot of words ^

Bottom line is Trent Brown, Strange, Andrews, Onwenu and Reiff are the starters and they're sitting.

What Ross said was 100% accurate.
Agreed... mostly. I still worry.

I'm not criticizing or being a downer btw. I just think it's fair to worry until we see at least 4 of our presumptive starters practicing full-go at the same time. I could be wrong but I don't think we've seen that yet.

0-20 here we come
The silver lining is the worst we can do is 0-17 because you can't make the playoffs with a 0 win record so you don't have to face the shame of 3 extra games of losing.

I agree. He was put in a position where he would fail i.e LT. As a RT he is more than serviceable . If we get Anderson back for regular season it would be brown, McDermott, Anderson and reiff .

Are there any players who can be backup for both guard and center ?
There really isn’t a difference any more in playing LT vs RT. In the old days many teams would have a bigger, run stopping DE in their left and a faster pass rushing on their right. Offenses also used to “play right handed” regularly with the TE being on the offensive right side, feeding into the above.

Now LDE and RDE are interchangeable and often switch side to exploit matchups. TEs align all over the field and 3 WRs is the norm.

The responsibilities of a LT and RT really are no different today.

The one difference that does exist is SOME players struggle with reversing the footwork when they switch sides.

** Also in the old days pass rushing from the blindside was prioritized because you could get a blind hit but now you can’t hit the qb and short drops, and shotgun formations kind of eliminate the difference.

How important is OL for this team considering the roster (wo real blocking “skill“ players and limited explosivity)?
If you think its important and are at all worried about OL situation - do you think this situation was avoidable?

The OL is the basic building block to the offense. If you don't have protection you can't pass. If you don't have run blocking, you can't run.

The tackles look shaky if we're being honest and that means Mac Jones is gonna have a hard time. If we're talking about the lack of RB depth, what's even more concerning is if there are not holes, we're not going to make any productive runs barring Malik Jackson breaking down the defense and making some gains.

Outside of Malik Jackson we had 20 rushes for 44 yards against the Texans. That's a 2.2 yards per carry for those keeping track at home. PATHETIC!

Agreed... mostly. I still worry.

I'm not criticizing or being a downer btw. I just think it's fair to worry until we see at least 4 of our presumptive starters practicing full-go at the same time. I could be wrong but I don't think we've seen that yet.
Injury is a concern every season, it was a concern in the midst of the previous dynasty.

Pray for health and develop of the youngsters.

There really isn’t a difference any more in playing LT vs RT. In the old days many teams would have a bigger, run stopping DE in their left and a faster pass rushing on their right. Offenses also used to “play right handed” regularly with the TE being on the offensive right side, feeding into the above.

Now LDE and RDE are interchangeable and often switch side to exploit matchups. TEs align all over the field and 3 WRs is the norm.

The responsibilities of a LT and RT really are no different today.

The one difference that does exist is SOME players struggle with reversing the footwork when they switch sides.

** Also in the old days pass rushing from the blindside was prioritized because you could get a blind hit but now you can’t hit the qb and short drops, and shotgun formations kind of eliminate the difference.
Teams have always run more to the right than left. MCDermott is a good run blocker…not so much a pass blocker. He is better suited at RT.

Why didn't Mac get any snaps? Afraid he would get hurt behind the JV O-line? Doesn't he need more reps with the new offense?

Teams have always run more to the right than left. MCDermott is a good run blocker…not so much a pass blocker. He is better suited at RT.
That’s not true.

Total average is about 52% runs to the left and 48% to the right.

Last edited:
The silver lining is the worst we can do is 0-17 because you can't make the playoffs with a 0 win record so you don't have to face the shame of 3 extra games of losing.

It was a joke. ;)

deleted

Last edited:

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back