PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread REACTIONS: Preseason Game 1: NE vs HOU

Immediate Postgame Reactions
The silver lining is the worst we can do is 0-17 because you can't make the playoffs with a 0 win record so you don't have to face the shame of 3 extra games of losing.
Hey now…technically losing 3 preseason games will get u to 0-20…. :p

We are turning into a sad sack fan base. Let's pause our New England negativity and give the season a chance.

1691939912359.jpeg

Attachments

• 1691939840515.jpeg
    1691939840515.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 1
McDermott has played well at times in camp at RT and IMO didn’t look as bad as people are saying against the Texans. I still think he has a chance to be an average starting RT and with Onwenu, Andrews, Strange and Brown on the line…that’s good enough IMO.

I agree. He was put in a position where he would fail i.e LT. As a RT he is more than serviceable . If we get Anderson back for regular season it would be Brown, McDermott, Anderson and Reiff .

McDermott at LT means we’re the Titanic and we’ve already hit the iceberg.

Upon further review...

I've re-watched all of the offensive snaps in the first half plus their opening drive of the 2nd half... The OL during the first half was mostly (L-R) McDermott, Mafi, Ferentz, Russey & Sow... McDermott was actually the Least of their worries out there, followed by Russey... Sow was the worst, though Mafi & Thanksdad both had their moments they'd rather soon forget.

The 2nd half opened with (L-R) Stueber, Chasen Hines, Jake Andrews, Russey & McDermott...
Hard to tell if Russey's left ankle or the back of his left knee suffered worse when the defender, rookie LB Henry TooToo (who also blew up the hole & tackled the runner, Kevin Harris) landed on him near midfield, thanks to Stubby being late/slow to switch blocks.
Thanksdad (naturally) replaced Russey, and then promptly proceeded to block nothing but air during the next play, a 3-yard WR screen to Booty, who also wasn't helped by both Stubby & 'Hinds being slow to their targets.
Zappy totally ****s up 3rd down... And the failure of the 4th-down run was due mostly to Stubby not switching his block to the Safety Eric Murray as he crashed through the line; the other OLmen seemed to have their assignments walled-off enough for the play to have possibly worked.

Terrible series of downs for Stubby; meanwhile, McDermott's easily been their best OLman tonight so far.

And as their next drive begins after the defense allows their 2nd consecutive TD, the OL (L-R) is now Stubby, 'Hinds, Jake Andrews, Thanksdad & Siddy the Sow... This oughta be fun...

Last edited:
I saw just one thing bad from him. He had Thornton isolated well downfield with one CB on a double move, he went to heave it, but pulled it back. Had plenty of time. Ended up with nothing. Other than that, I saw nothing that would give me concern for a backup QB.
That's a tough one, as that was my initial thought. After some analysis, I thought it was good that he pulled it back, not because Thornton wasn't going to be wide open at the ideal intended destination (let's say the 5yd line between the numbers and the sideline which would've been Zappe's max air yards at around 60yds). It's that it was gonna be late (unless he had a Josh Allen / Bledsoe low altitude laser to get it there in 2.4s), and it would've been Thornton having to slow way down again with Steven Nelson (CB) easily catching up.

Sad thing is Stingley Jr (who is fast) pressed on Boutte on the other side, and if Zappe rolled the dice and went that way, it would've been a TD with Singley falling down. I don't blame him for both decisions though. Frustrating to watch Zappe last night, but I know a lot of it was obv oline play

They really should line TT up on the side where the ball's gonna be snapped assuming Go or Corner routes. Our QBs don't have lasers to get it all the way to the other side of the field in the short amount of time it'll take for TT to get to an ideal catch location.

------

This is how you take advantage of your speedster (preseason week 1):

Lined up on the side where the ball's snapped
53 air yds
2.6s time to release (estimating as video started mid snap)
~2.3s start of arm motion (loosely decision to throw) and CA3 estimating was still a yard or 2 from passing the not that slow Don Gardner (4.48/2.61-20)
2.93s release to catch (or in the air)
.... clean pocket... sigh

Upon further review...

I've re-watched all of the offensive snaps in the first half plus their opening drive of the 2nd half... The OL during the first half was mostly (L-R) McDermott, Mafi, Ferentz, Russey & Sow... McDermott was actually the Least of their worries out there, followed by Russey... Sow was the worst, though Mafi & Thanksdad both had their moments they'd rather soon forget.

The 2nd half opened with (L-R) Stueber, Chasen Hines, Jake Andrews, Russey & McDermott...
Hard to tell if Russey's left ankle or the back of his left knee suffered worse when the defender, rookie LB Henry TooToo (who also blew up the hole & tackled the runner, Kevin Harris) landed on him near midfield, thanks to Stubby being late/slow to switch blocks.
Thanksdad (naturally) replaced Russey, and then promptly proceeded to block nothing but air during the next play, a 3-yard WR screen to Booty, who also wasn't helped by both Stubby & 'Hinds being slow to their targets.
Zappy totally ****s up 3rd down... And the failure of the 4th-down run was due mostly to Stubby not switching his block to the Safety Eric Murray as he crashed through the line; the other OLmen seemed to have their assignments walled-off enough for the play to have possibly worked.

Terrible series of downs for Stubby; meanwhile, McDermott's easily been their best OLman tonight so far.

And as their next drive begins after the defense allows their 2nd consecutive TD, the OL (L-R) is now Stubby, 'Hinds, Jake Andrews, Thanksdad & Siddy the Sow... This oughta be fun...
That's good info! It validates what some of us suspected...McDermott played "OK"...even on the left side. He's not going to Canton (unless it's Canton, MA) but on a strong healthy line with Brown-Strange-Andrews-Onwenu he might be good enough. Also with potential backups Reiff, Anderson, Russey, Andrews and Mafi we might be ok as long as their are no major injuries to the starters. Thanks Captain !

That's good info! It validates what some of us suspected...McDermott played "OK"...even on the left side. He's not going to Canton (unless it's Canton, MA) but on a strong healthy line with Brown-Strange-Andrews-Onwenu he might be good enough. Also with potential backups Reiff, Anderson, Russey, Andrews and Mafi we might be ok as long as their are no major injuries to the starters. Thanks Captain !

I'll update my post whenever I get to watch the next drive etc., but if McDermott's done for the night then he actually improved his chances of making the 53.

Whenever I finish re-watching the 2nd half I'm gonna try to find those 5 reps...
Anderson only played around 11 snaps total so you shouldn’t have to look beyond the first quarter

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back