PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rb 2011?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derrick Locke from Kentucky...He's another little guy, but getting a talent like this in the 4th or 5th round would be excellent value. Pretty impressive with nice moves great vision, and quality speed. I think I've found my new RB binky.

He's an excellent option in the 3rd or 4th. Teams have been game planning against him and he is still producing and getting the tough yards. I'd love to have him as a Patriot.

Marcus Lattimore (Freshman) and Daniel Thomas

Little update for my Binkie DeMarco Murray. He is now the all time OU career touchdown leader. Passed Steve Owens for first place and now has 58 TD's in his career with the Sooners.

So far this year his stats are:

Through 6 games

Rushing yards: 663 (4.5 ypc)
Rushing TD's: 11
Rec. Yards: 170 (7.7 ypc )
Rec. TD's: 2

Yards total: 833
TD's: 13

Not bad for 6 games!

Little update for my Binkie DeMarco Murray. He is now the all time OU career touchdown leader. Passed Steve Owens for first place and now has 58 TD's in his career with the Sooners.

So far this year his stats are:

Through 6 games

Rushing yards: 663 (4.5 ypc)
Rushing TD's: 11
Rec. Yards: 170 (7.7 ypc )
Rec. TD's: 2

Yards total: 833
TD's: 13

Not bad for 6 games!

I'd consider him with Carolina's pick at the top of round 2. Let's hope he stays healthy. He was the top rb recruit in the country coming out of high school. He's been plagued by injuries since. He can run and catch the ball. OU doesn't ask him to block. That's a skill that can be acquired through hard work at the next level.

I'd consider him with Carolina's pick at the top of round 2. Let's hope he stays healthy. He was the top rb recruit in the country coming out of high school. He's been plagued by injuries since. He can run and catch the ball. OU doesn't ask him to block. That's a skill that can be acquired through hard work at the next level.

The injuries really do scare me, especially with RB's. Id rather go with Mike Leshoure with the Carolina pick at the top of round 2.

I'm starting to change my mind on this since the emergence of Woodhead/BJGE combo.

RB in round 2 or 3 is fine now. Defense with the first two picks. :rocker:

I'm starting to change my mind on this since the emergence of Woodhead/BJGE combo.

RB in round 2 or 3 is fine now. Defense with the first two picks. :rocker:

Right on, Brother. :cool:

With BJGE and Woodhead (assuming both RFA) likely back next year, I'm thinking the Pats could use 2 RBs but probably not investing top picks to get them. I've got my eye on two guys that are dropping like a stone on draft board, but only because of how they are used by their teams.

Da'Rel Scott, Maryland (5'10, 200) - As mentioned earlier by Snake Eyes. Looked like an absolute stud in 2008. Had some injuries in 2009 and Friedgen decided to split his time (with Dave Meggett's kid interestingly enough). Has track speed and it translates to the field. Let BJGE soften up the D and bring in Scott as a change of pace.

Brandon Saine, Ohio State (6'1", 220) - Isn't it about time to get a "Brandon" on the team? Never used correctly at OSU. Moved around, erratic opportunities, offense always looking to establish its identity with a domineering QB. Also has track speed but it is less evident in pads. Similar in build to Morris and with OSU jerking him around, he has developed into a good blocker and receiver.

So 2 talented guys that are super fast but haven't been asked to carry the load in college...meaning less wear and tear than a typical senior. Scott is your homerun, high ceiling guy that gets a handful of touches and helps on returns. Saine is your multi-dimensional, pseudo-fullback that has the speed and toughness to help out on special teams. Both will run nasty times at the combine but thanks to their screwy coaches they should both be around on day 3. Cheap complimentary pieces with the physical abilities to develop into much more.

I'm not too interested in taking a RB high in this draft, my preference is for later round backs, though the juniors or sophomore may be ranked higher than I like if they come out.

Seniors

Bilal Powell, Louisville, 6-0/215
Damien Berry, Miami, 5-11/210
Vai Taua, Nevada, 5-10/215
Derrick Locke, Kentucky, 5-09/190

Juniors

Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati, 5-10/200
Shane Vereen, California, 5-10/205

rSophomore

LaMichael James, Oregon, 5-09/185

IMO, 2011 is the worst RB class I've seen in years. Which sucks. It's a huge need for us. For depth if not any other reason. Even the front-runner, former Heisman Winner Mark Ingram, strikes me as pretty ordinary...and that's at the college level. And if you aren't dominating at the college level it isn't an encouraging sign for the pro level. BJGE looked better in college than most of the upcoming class.

And I can't see taking a bad one just because we have a need. We'd still have a need, but with one less draft pick. I'd rather trade a pick for a decent vet. I hope we can find a trading partner.

The only guy I've seen so far that even slightly grabs my interest is Bilal Powell from Louisville. And I'd have a hard time justifying his selection before 2b and I'd even be uncomfortable taking him that early.

I'm not too interested in taking a RB high in this draft, my preference is for later round backs, though the juniors or sophomore may be ranked higher than I like if they come out.

Seniors

Bilal Powell, Louisville, 6-0/215
Damien Berry, Miami, 5-11/210
Vai Taua, Nevada, 5-10/215
Derrick Locke, Kentucky, 5-09/190

Juniors

Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati, 5-10/200
Shane Vereen, California, 5-10/205

rSophomore

LaMichael James, Oregon, 5-09/185

I think part of the problem Box. Is that the premier athlete is getting moved to wr. Back in my day, it was the I-formation tailback. Hershcel Walker, Tony Dorsett, host of USC tb's, Eric ****erson, M. Dupree. Now, that type athlete is playing wr; Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Junes. All, big, strong, fast kids who would have been rb's back in the day.

I like that Oregon RB Thomas and that other RB on that Duck team.....

do not use a low pick on a RB in this class...

I agree that we dont NEED to take a RB early, but if BPA is a RB... hell, we've got space on the roster at RB and another strong RB will make the team better. And we dont have any really overwhelming needs, anyway. Drafting another DE is appealing, but with Deaderick, Pryor and Brace already in the fold, plus Ty Warren returning, we have youth, size and depth at the position. OL is appealing, but we could find a prospect in any round, after watching Dante turn Neal, Connolly and Koppen into elite players.

I disagree with the sentiment to focus exclusively on late round RB prospects. In every round, there's going to be a value decision to make, based on the candidates and roster needs. If you like a player but feel that RB is a high risk position to draft early, then downgrade your rating, don't take them off the board!

For example, I love Mark Ingram for this team, for many reasons already stated. I also agree with the sentiment that he has high mileage, that's he's surrounded by talent, he's over-hyped thanks to the Heisman, and that our need at RB isn't only moderate given the emergence of Woodhead and BJGE.

Some prognosticators have Ingram as a top-10 or top-5 pick. And, if so, then I'm afraid I will have to pass even though I'm a fan. But if he drops to #32... well at that point, I know that he would add more value to the roster than whatever DE or OLB or OL is available. My value point for Ingram is in the late teens/early twenties. If he lasts that long, that's where I try to move to take him.

I agree that we dont NEED to take a RB early, but if BPA is a RB... hell, we've got space on the roster at RB and another strong RB will make the team better. And we dont have any really overwhelming needs, anyway. Drafting another DE is appealing, but with Deaderick, Pryor and Brace already in the fold, plus Ty Warren returning, we have youth, size and depth at the position. OL is appealing, but we could find a prospect in any round, after watching Dante turn Neal, Connolly and Koppen into elite players.

I disagree with the sentiment to focus exclusively on late round RB prospects. In every round, there's going to be a value decision to make, based on the candidates and roster needs. If you like a player but feel that RB is a high risk position to draft early, then downgrade your rating, don't take them off the board!

For example, I love Mark Ingram for this team, for many reasons already stated. I also agree with the sentiment that he has high mileage, that's he's surrounded by talent, he's over-hyped thanks to the Heisman, and that our need at RB isn't only moderate given the emergence of Woodhead and BJGE.

Some prognosticators have Ingram as a top-10 or top-5 pick. And, if so, then I'm afraid I will have to pass even though I'm a fan. But if he drops to #32... well at that point, I know that he would add more value to the roster than whatever DE or OLB or OL is available. My value point for Ingram is in the late teens/early twenties. If he lasts that long, that's where I try to move to take him.
So far I'm not overly impressed with the higher ranking RBs in this class, the later round projections are the ones I see running angry or hungry, how so ever you wish to describe it.

Been doing some home-work on a few DIII and DII prospects, I'll post a few possible targets later - none look as good as my boy Joique Bell last year though.

With BJGE and Woodhead (assuming both RFA) likely back next year, I'm thinking the Pats could use 2 RBs but probably not investing top picks to get them. I've got my eye on two guys that are dropping like a stone on draft board, but only because of how they are used by their teams.

Da'Rel Scott, Maryland (5'10, 200) - As mentioned earlier by Snake Eyes. Looked like an absolute stud in 2008. Had some injuries in 2009 and Friedgen decided to split his time (with Dave Meggett's kid interestingly enough). Has track speed and it translates to the field. Let BJGE soften up the D and bring in Scott as a change of pace.

Brandon Saine, Ohio State (6'1", 220) - Isn't it about time to get a "Brandon" on the team? Never used correctly at OSU. Moved around, erratic opportunities, offense always looking to establish its identity with a domineering QB. Also has track speed but it is less evident in pads. Similar in build to Morris and with OSU jerking him around, he has developed into a good blocker and receiver.

So 2 talented guys that are super fast but haven't been asked to carry the load in college...meaning less wear and tear than a typical senior. Scott is your homerun, high ceiling guy that gets a handful of touches and helps on returns. Saine is your multi-dimensional, pseudo-fullback that has the speed and toughness to help out on special teams.

Both will run nasty times at the combine but thanks to their screwy coaches they should both be around on day 3. Cheap complimentary pieces with the physical abilities to develop into much more.

Absolutely GREAT Scouting Report, man.

Those guys definitely both go on the "A" list.

I've been pounding the table for a LONG time that the best way to extract value from the Draft is to hit the Front 12 in the early rounds, and pick up PRECISELY these kinds of backs in the late rounds.

Beautifull.

Been doing some home-work on a few DIII and DII prospects, I'll post a few possible targets later - none look as good as my boy Joique Bell last year though.

:eek: Holy CRAP!!! :eek:

I am a RABID Joique Bell fan!!

I even have TRADING for him as Step ONE in my ~ coming soon ~ Mock Draft V2.0!! :rocker:

I thought I was the only one in the GALAXY.

I think part of the problem Box. Is that the premier athlete is getting moved to wr. Back in my day, it was the I-formation tailback. Hershcel Walker, Tony Dorsett, host of USC tb's, Eric ****erson, M. Dupree. Now, that type athlete is playing wr; Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Junes. All, big, strong, fast kids who would have been rb's back in the day.

I severely doubt all those 6'4 220 guys would've ever been running backs.

IMO, 2011 is the worst RB class I've seen in years. Which sucks. It's a huge need for us. For depth if not any other reason. Even the front-runner, former Heisman Winner Mark Ingram, strikes me as pretty ordinary...and that's at the college level. And if you aren't dominating at the college level it isn't an encouraging sign for the pro level. BJGE looked better in college than most of the upcoming class.

And I can't see taking a bad one just because we have a need. We'd still have a need, but with one less draft pick. I'd rather trade a pick for a decent vet. I hope we can find a trading partner.

The only guy I've seen so far that even slightly grabs my interest is Bilal Powell from Louisville. And I'd have a hard time justifying his selection before 2b and I'd even be uncomfortable taking him that early.

Interesting evaluation. We'll see who declares. If Ryan Williams or Dion Lewis is in the draft, they're pretty damn good at what they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes