PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ray Lewis "Brady the Greatest of the Greats"

Status
Not open for further replies.
i never understand how people can say they 'hate' a player just because he is on another team.

Im sure Peyton Manning is a great guy off of the field and although he may have frustrated you by what he has potentially taken away that doesnt mean he deserves your 'hatred'.

As for Ray Lewis, he is genuinely a good guy, if he has ever been a thug he has changed significantly since then, Ray Lewis is on defense what Tom Brady and Peyton Manning are on offense, he is what players like Jerod Mayo should aspire to become because his leadership on and off the field makes his defense better.

I dont think a compliment like "Greatest of all time" would carry more weight if any other player had said it, given Lewis time in the league and greatness that he himself is.

Calling Ray Lewis a genuinely good guy might be taking it a bit far. As you pointed out, we don't know the guy. All that we really know is that he probably stabbed a dude to death.

Calling Ray Lewis a genuinely good guy might be taking it a bit far. As you pointed out, we don't know the guy. All that we really know is that he probably stabbed a dude to death.

Yeah, but we also don't know if the guy deserved it:D

Calling Ray Lewis a genuinely good guy might be taking it a bit far.

As you pointed out, we don't know the guy.

All that we really know is that he probably stabbed a dude to death.

This is supposed to be a HAPPY occasion!!

Let's not bicker and argue...about who killed who.

HolyGrail1361180669130.jpg

Coming from Ray Lewis is one thing....I believe he recognizes greatness and regardless of his "in the past" nightclubbing "indescretion", I can appreciate his comments....

Now....if this was coming from that A--hole Tyrell Suggs.....that would be a different thing...

I wonder if this will divide the lockerroom with Lewis on one side and Terrell Suggs on the other. I can't believe that Lewis didn't have Suggs back and call Brady a crybaby and overrated. :rolleyes:

I kinda hated the way at the end of the game he and Brady are saying good game to each other, and Ray kinda slaps Brady's face with two fingers, just kinda weird.

I think he thought he was at that time a better man and was more deserving of respect than Brady was and that exchange just sorta said "good job kid". I thought it was pretty demeaning, really.

If he is all about treating each other as men, then walk up to him and shake his hand, don't give him a tap with a couple fingers across the face and say good job kid.

I actually thought it looked like a moment of genuine post-game camaraderie and mutual respect. You could see it in Brady's eyes, he wasn't detecting any condescension. It was probably "good job kid", but Brady is younger and newer than Ray Lewis...and that scene was probably from years ago.

I wonder if this will divide the lockerroom with Lewis on one side and Terrell Suggs on the other. I can't believe that Lewis didn't have Suggs back and call Brady a crybaby and overrated. :rolleyes:

Lol i don't think it's even a competition...there isn't a better leader/motivator in football than Ray Lewis in my opinion + he has Ed Reed. Suggs is just an awkward fellow and i wouldn't be suprised if he thought Brady was the GOAT since Ray Ray has given his seal of approval.

Last edited:
Coming from Ray Lewis is one thing....I believe he recognizes greatness and regardless of his "in the past" nightclubbing "indescretion", I can appreciate his comments....

Now....if this was coming from that A--hole Tyrell Suggs.....that would be a different thing...

Exactly, Lewis and Suggs are 2 totally different stories. Ray may be an ***** of a person on a humanistic level, but if you don't respect his incredible playing ability, love for the game, amazing intensity, and downright--'heart' on every single snap, you are kidding yourself..

I believe that he's got another couple seasons left at a pretty high level, and that he is one of the most respected defensive players of our generation, at least as far as actual football playing skills go. In my opinion, he certainly deserved the highest ranking defensive player honor, as evidenced by his peers and coaches.

I know many will not agree with me, and that's their right, but I just don't feel as though his play has dropped off to the level that some make it out to be. I don't wanna start this debate again, but I was kind of surprised in some aspects that so many were saying last week that Mayo is leagues above Ray Lewis...That just is not true. Mayo has the potential to be just as good of a player, and maybe even better--but he's certainly not there yet.

If we're talking about THE best all around linebacker of the modern era, say the year 2000 to the present day, I don't see how anyone couldn't think that it's Ray Lewis, hands down...

A lot of people don't like his arrogance, and brash attitude, (I HATE that quality in people), but when you think about it, there are so many other guys who are so much worse off. Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, James Harrison, Cromartie etc are so much worse in that regard, at least in my opinion.

Exactly, Lewis and Suggs are 2 totally different stories. Ray may be an ***** of a person on a humanistic level, but if you don't respect his incredible playing ability, love for the game, amazing intensity, and downright--'heart' on every single snap, you are kidding yourself..

I believe that he's got another couple seasons left at a pretty high level, and that he is one of the most respected defensive players of our generation, at least as far as actual football playing skills go. In my opinion, he certainly deserved the highest ranking defensive player honor, as evidenced by his peers and coaches.

I know many will not agree with me, and that's their right, but I just don't feel as though his play has dropped off to the level that some make it out to be. I don't wanna start this debate again, but I was kind of surprised in some aspects that so many were saying last week that Mayo is leagues above Ray Lewis...That just is not true. Mayo has the potential to be just as good of a player, and maybe even better--but he's certainly not there yet.

If we're talking about THE best all around linebacker of the modern era, say the year 2000 to the present day, I don't see how anyone couldn't think that it's Ray Lewis, hands down...

A lot of people don't like his arrogance, and brash attitude, (I HATE that quality in people), but when you think about it, there are so many other guys who are so much worse off. Channing Crowder, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, James Harrison, Cromartie etc are so much worse in that regard, at least in my opinion.
It's because Mayo's level of production in 2010 was better than Lewis' level of production in 2010. Not rocket science and I'm a fan of Ray Lewis the footballer.

It's because Mayo's level of production in 2010 was better than Lewis' level of production in 2010. Not rocket science and I'm a fan of Ray Lewis the footballer.

Not rocket science?

You're comparing Mayo's past year (which was better, yes) to a career 15+ seasons of all-pro caliber play from likely the greatest LB of the past 10+ yrs? And by doing this, you come to the conclusion that he is now BETTER than a sure-fire, 1st ballot hall of famer?

I certainly hope that's not 'rocket science,' because if it is, we're all in trouble.

That's like saying if Matt Ryan would happen to play at a high-level and have a better year than Brady, that he's suddenly 'better' than Brady now? That is some interesting thinking.

We'd all like to have Mayo (young and current) than Lewis (old and almost retired) at the moment sure, but saying that he's 'better' than Ray Lewis is a pretty bold statement, no?

I think Mayo is one of the NFL's bright and upcoming stars, and a top 5 ILB. He may even someday grow to be better than Ray Lewis, hell he has all of the potential in the world--the sky's the limit for Jerod Mayo right now.

To each his own, if that's your opinion, then that's your right--and I take it seriously. I just don't agree with that thinking at all.

I think it's on the same level as saying a very good young baseball player who is somewhat new to Major league baseball is now better than one of our generation's greatest ever. It's a somewhat homeristic viewpoint, but I like the optimism.

Here's hoping you're right....

Not rocket science?

You're comparing Mayo's past year (which was better, yes) to a career 15+ seasons of all-pro caliber play from likely the greatest LB of the past 10+ yrs? And by doing this, you come to the conclusion that he is now BETTER than a sure-fire, 1st ballot hall of famer?

I certainly hope that's not 'rocket science,' because if it is, we're all in trouble.

That's like saying if Matt Ryan would happen to play at a high-level and have a better year than Brady, that he's suddenly 'better' than Brady now? That is some interesting thinking.

We'd all like to have Mayo (young and current) than Lewis (old and almost retired) at the moment sure, but saying that he's 'better' than Ray Lewis is a pretty bold statement, no?
You made the blanket statement about Mayo & Lewis where even the most ardent Mayo fan (me) knows it's Ray Lewis' career > Jerod Mayo's career. However, Jerod Mayo's 2010 > Ray Lewis' 2010.

It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Not rocket science?

I think one thing should be pointed out the name of the Show was 100 best players 2011. Not best players of all time still playing.

One of the reasons I didnt like the series was because there seemed to be no consistancy in the voting. Some young guys like Mayo got the credit and recognized for where they likely will be skill wise in 2011 (if they ever play). But then there plenty of Vets who clearly will not be top 100 if this year is played but also clearly have great careers better then many on the list can hope for.

Now if you discuss in the vacumm of who will be better in 2011 it is not crazy to think Mayo will be better than Ray. The stats can make a case for 2010 too.

If we want to talk full careers I think it is still far fetched to think Mayo will even come close to the kind of player Ray was. Mayo right now is one of the best in the league but Ray is one of if not the best LB of all time. Mayo has a long way to go, a really long way to go before he is in that discussion.

Mayo has shown the potential to maybe be able to get close but he needs to continue to improve to get there. One can dream.

You made the blanket statement about Mayo & Lewis where even the most ardent Mayo fan (me) knows it's Ray Lewis' career > Jerod Mayo's career. However, Jerod Mayo's 2010 > Ray Lewis' 2010.

It really is that simple.

I agree with what you're saying about the recent year, and even the potential for the future--however I was responding to the statement of :

"Mayo > Ray Lewis"

Apparently it must've meant the current versions, not an all-encompassing career. That is why I was surprised and also somewhat confused.

I think one thing should be pointed out the name of the Show was 100 best players 2011. Not best players of all time still playing.

In which case Ray Lewis came in as the #1 defensive player in the entire NFL, and Jerod Mayo came in at #62.

And this was last year....

Any statement of Mayo being better than Ray Lewis is subject to a lot of criticism and controversy, and that is what I was specifically responding to.

I do think he may have had an equally good or better season, certainly if you are just a stats guy, but there aren't too many actual players who felt that way apparently.

As for your opinion on the inconsistency of the whole thing--I certainly agree..

I agree with what you're saying about the recent year, and even the potential for the future--however I was responding to the statement of :

"Mayo > Ray Lewis"

Apparently it must've meant the current versions, not an all-encompassing career. That is why I was surprised and also somewhat confused.
It was definitely 2010 in isolation with most contributors hopeful Mayo could go on to have a Lewis like career.

I wish someone would stab Ray Lewis in the mouth.

I wish someone would stab Ray Lewis in the mouth.

I hear ya. To be honest, he really doesn't bother me as much as a lot of other loudmouthed ****y players do though. I think maybe it's just stuck in my head that it's related to his intensity of the game. I know he's a loud mouth, but I can think of at least 10 others, probably more-- than get under my skin in a worse manner.

At least he gives credit when it's due (IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News