PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ravens figured out our audibles last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOWTIME15

No asterisks
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Can someone confirm this. I read somewhere that after last year's playoff loss to Baltimore that Ray Lewis was quoted as saying that they had finally figured out the patriots' audibles after going like 0-6 against us. They knew everything that was coming. I wondered why brady looked so off that game.

I was at the game and post game I posted that exact question right here...sure looked like it

He said our offense was extremely predictable, but I don't remember if he said anything about knowing our signals or not.

Brady took a quick two step drop and fired a bullet to the sideline...THREE Ravens were there to make the tackle behind the LOS....THAT is impossible unless they knew the keys...their safety said as much post game

Ray Lewis probably knows 75% of teams audibles by now

Well if they did, then the eery resemblance between that game and the one against Miami a couple years ago makes a lot of sense. However, I would think that teams would change their audibles on occasion just for this very reason.

Well, The Pats had beaten them so many times I think the Ravens were due. Brady had been playing with bum ribs, Welker was out.......and the Pats D was pretty bad against the run. If they beat the Pats knowing the audibles, I'd have to say they wouldn't have needed them.

Can someone confirm this. I read somewhere that after last year's playoff loss to Baltimore that Ray Lewis was quoted as saying that they had finally figured out the patriots' audibles after going like 0-6 against us. They knew everything that was coming. I wondered why brady looked so off that game.

I am pretty sure if you read that quote, so did Bill Belichick. And if BB knows his audibles have been compromised, I am sure he got new ones for this year.

Well, The Pats had beaten them so many times I think the Ravens were due. Brady had been playing with bum ribs, Welker was out.......and the Pats D was pretty bad against the run. If they beat the Pats knowing the audibles, I'd have to say they wouldn't have needed them.

oh for sure...they beat our azz...that game was way over early

I'll bet they were changed somewhat last week after Moss was traded so we'll see if the Ravens know what's coming this Sunday.

Sounds kind of like what we did to Miami in '97 and Tampa Bay did to Oakland in the '02 Super Bowl.

And yes, the Ravens were definitely due to beat us. First time in franchise history I believe. Let's just hope it's not the start of something now.

I do remember something vaguely said about this subject. Actually it was Ray Lewis who came out and said he figured out the audibles. Its probably hard to refute his statement, considering it felt like Ravens were one step of Pats entire game. God...watching that game sucked....

The same thing happened for us the last time we played the Cowgirls. We'd cracked their calling code by the 2nd qtr on both sides of the ball.

Doesn't anyone remember that Doug Johnson, the backup for the Falcons, was on the sideline during a game against the Skins and realized he recognized the audibles? Well, Coach Spurrier was using the same audibles in the game as he had when he coached Johnson at UF.

It doesn't surprise me that Brady's audibles were compromised. Once Fox or CBS had a boom mike on him all game and at one point he came to the line of scrimmage and shouted "JAB #10, JAB #10". Well it was a quick slant to Gaffney. You don't need a Ernie Adams running regressions real time to figure it out.

IIRC, Lewis figured out the call signal that made the audible a fake (meaning key off the formation they were in, not what Brady was "adjusting" for). I think it was the term "Red." To use an example, when Eli Manning shouted an audible that was a fake, he would always insert the word "Oklahoma" somewhere in the audible.

IIRC, Lewis figured out the call signal that made the audible a fake (meaning key off the formation they were in, not what Brady was "adjusting" for). I think it was the term "Red." To use an example, when Eli Manning shouted an audible that was a fake, he would always insert the word "Oklahoma" somewhere in the audible.

during the cadence Eli always says `Omaha` the time before he wants the ball snapped. So he will go hike hike hike hike omaha hike (ball snapped)

I remember the announcer saying Lewis sat and listened to just audio of the Patriots line calls and figured them all out from there.

There was the big camera debate ...

However ... we now have centers wearing mics so that Fox and company can better pick up the calls. Audio of on field calls is readily available.

Prior to the start of the season, NFL teams were told that it was a requirement that their centers would be mic'd up in select national television games. A technician from NFL Films would attach one microphone to the front of the center’s should pads, and one to the rear of the shoulder pads. The mics, which were encrypted by the league with a system similar to the coach-to-quarterback communication system, would be turned on as the centers approached the line, and turned off after the initial crash following the snap.

But two weeks later, the “Field Audio Microphone Program,” as it has been called in league memos, has been unplugged.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Mics-on-centers-are-being-unplugged.html

Last edited:
I'll bet they were changed somewhat last week after Moss was traded so we'll see if the Ravens know what's coming this Sunday.

HaHa - do we know what is coming? Not sure that I do! No doubt the Ravens have no idea what is coming.

You read correctly. Ray Lewis also said somethiing to the effect that the Patriots are so predictable, and the Ravens have played them so much over the years that the Ravens knew the Patriots would run before they ran it, just by how they were set up.

They were a team that was easy to predict last year and the year before, but I gotta think that Bellichick knows that, and that things will change this week against the Ravens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST