PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Our Superbowl Victims....

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 Seattle - I almost wanted to do 1A & 1B but to me Seattle is the best team the Pats beat in a SB and one of the best teams of the salary cap era. They dominate on D and are scrappy on O. Their O is overlooked at times but when they need to they usually find ways to generate points. They were a top 10 O in PPG this year remember. Lynch truly is beast mode and their WRs though not super talented are fairly savy particularly Baldwin. Wilson is getting a lot of crap but he is usually pretty good. Honestly he played well this game and didn't really make a mistake. That Int is no more Wilson's fault than that Wager int on Brady was his fault. Just a good play.

#2 St. Louis - A lot of people remember the greatest show on turf but forget their D was pretty darn good. 7th in PPG if I recall. It took a pick 6 to beat them cause their D shut down our O so well.

#3 Eagles - A team that does a lot of things well but not truly elite. They are solid and underrated. Truly a SB caliber team in other years but the 2004 Pats were just a horse that year. Still arguably the best salary cap era team.

#4 Panthers - A lot of people are not giving them their due cause of lack of talent but they are scrappy. Not as talented as other teams but that had more heart than any team on this list. They played really good D and it took Brady having an amazing 4th quarter to win. This team (from a mental drive never give up come back and punch you in the mouth standpoint) reminds me the most of this 2014 Pats team.

Just for fun let me shortly rank every Pats SB opponent

#1 85 Bears (duh)
#2 14 Seahawks
#3 96 Packers (#1 O, #1 D #1 (IMO) STs but against a weak NFC)
#4 01 Rams
#5 07 Giants (when healthy that pass rush was deadly and the rest of the team was scrappy)
#6 04 Eagles
#7 03 Panther
#8 11 Giants (should have won this game for sure).

The 1996 packers were one of the beat teams in NFL history. No way are they ranked below the 2014 seahawks.

I think that Philly team was very good too but id have trouble putting them over Seattle or St. Louis. My bigger question is where do the two Giants teams rank?

Thos are two of the worst teams to ever win a super bowl. It was embarassing to lose to them.

The 1996 packers were one of the beat teams in NFL history. No way are they ranked below the 2014 seahawks.
Agreed, That Packers team was lethal. St Louis is certainly better than Seattle. Obviously the Bears too.

Agreed, That Packers team was lethal. St Louis is certainly better than Seattle. Obviously the Bears too.

All 8 Patriots Opponents Ranked from Best to Worst

85 Bears
96 Packers
14 Seahawks
01 Rams
04 Eagles
11 Giants
03 Panthers
07 Giants

1). Seahawks
2). Rams
3). Eagles
4). Panthers(Come on this is a John Fox team you know they suck).

Ranking by Head Coach:
**** Vermeil
Andy Reid
Pete Carroll
John (Super Bowl Kiss of Death) Fox

Ranking by Quarterback
Curt Warner
Donovan McNabb
Russell Wilson
Jake Delhomme

Ranking by Biggest Media-whore Douchebag
Terrell Owens - Eagles
Marshall Faulk - Rams
Richard Sherman - Seahawks
TBD - Panthers (they didn't really have a player that you love to hate.)

Ranking by Players Who Would Have Been Good Patriots
Steve Smith or Julius Peppers - Panthers
Brian Westbrook or Jeremiah Trotter - Eagles
Torry Holt or Isaac Bruce - Rams
Kam Chancellor or Russell Wilson (as Brady's Backup) - Seahawks

Martz was the coach of that St. Louis team, not Vermeil.

For us?

1. 2001 Rams
2. 2004 Eagles
3. 2014 Seahawks
4. 2003 Panthers

Thos are two of the worst teams to ever win a super bowl. It was embarassing to lose to them.

Fair enough. I do think the 96 Packers were really good too but I think the weakness of the NFC at the time might skew it a bit. Talent wise they are not as stacked as you would think they would be being #1 in so many things. If you want to say 96 Packers > 14 Seahawks you would have a very good case. I just think the 96 Packers were overrated a little is all.

St. Louis > Seattle is an interesting topic to bring up. I mean when you look at how the 2001 Pats beat them with hard hitting D and awesome CB play it makes one wonder if the 2014 Seahawks could duplicate that. They are built kinda similarly to the 2001 Pats but a little smaller up front. Their O is probably about as good as the 2001 Pats O was all things considered. It be interesting. Personally I think Seahawks would do what the Pats did and smack them in the mouth and then the Rams would fold just like they did vs the Pats but that is purely speculation of course.

Looking over that list — and adding in 42 and 46 — it's striking to me how in almost every game the deep ball has hurt the Patriots. Surprisingly, the Rams are probably the exception. But I remember Delhomme having a career day just dropping in this record-setting bombs, and of course Eli and Wilson. Even McNabb burned the Pats on at least one deep play (IIRC, you can see Belichick throwing up his arms in disbelief at Mangini's D call just as the ball was snapped).

I think that 07 team may have been better than the 03 Panthers but they were both pretty terrible

Martz was the coach of that St. Louis team, not Vermeil.

For us?

1. 2001 Rams
2. 2004 Eagles
3. 2014 Seahawks
4. 2003 Panthers

Mike Martz, that's right! That changes everything. Now that I think about it, what a mismatch. The two best coaches, Reid and Carroll, both screwed up in the final deciding minutes of the game. Reid has always been a poor clock manager, and Carroll didn't know what was going on.

Thanks, Kontra

SB Victims ranked by coach:

Andy Reid
Pete Carroll
John (I'm not Norv Turner) Fox
Mike Martz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore