PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Our Recent 1st Round Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabthepat

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Going back to the 2001 draft, how would you rank the performance of our
1st round draft picks. I see it this way.

1) Seymour
2) Wilfolk
3) Mankins
4) Warren
5) Graham
6) Watson
7) Maroney

Last edited:
Seymour
Wilfolk
Warren
Mankins
Maroney
Graham/Watson

Seymour
Warren
Mankins
Graham
Wilfork
Watson
Maroney
Meriweather :D

1) Seymour
2) Wilfolk
3) Mankins
4) Warren
5) Graham
6) Watson
7) Maroney

That list seems fair to me, although I think Maroney will move up the list quickly.

Just looking at the list...holy crap - we are so damn consistent in finding good players in the first round :D

Last edited:
1) Seymour
2) Warren (to me, he and Wilfork are even as players, but the edge goes to the Warren selection due to the circumstances of that draft. Recall, the Jest traded up to draft Bowling Ball with Knives because there was a rumor out there that the Pats were very high on Robertson and were themselves considering a trade up in order to draft the guy. When all was said and done, Warren turned out to be a much better player and of course, nobody from the Pats had any clue as to how such rumors got started.)
3) Wilfolk
4) Mankins
5) Graham
6) Watson
7) Maroney

I agree with first poster, but maroney will move up after this year. He didn't produce mush last year, but he has tons of potential. I also think Meriweather will be great. But yea, I never realized how consistent the pats were in the first round.

1) Seymour
2) Warren (to me, he and Wilfork are even as players, but the edge goes to the Warren selection due to the circumstances of that draft. Recall, the Jest traded up to draft Bowling Ball with Knives because there was a rumor out there that the Pats were very high on Robertson and were themselves considering a trade up in order to draft the guy. When all was said and done, Warren turned out to be a much better player and of course, nobody from the Pats had any clue as to how such rumors got started.)
3) Wilfolk
4) Mankins
5) Graham
6) Watson
7) Maroney

I agree with you that they are even as players. I gave Wilfork the edge because I think good nose tackles are hard to come by and if I had to make a choice between keeping one or the other I'd go with Wilfork.

1) Seymour
2) Warren (may move into 1st place)
3) Wilfork
4) Mankins
5) Maroney (this kid was hurt last year, love his running style)
6) Watson (his time to shine is 2007, I say he does)
7) Graham (not a bad # 7)

I agree with you that they are even as players. I gave Wilfork the edge because I think good nose tackles are hard to come by and if I had to make a choice between keeping one or the other I'd go with Wilfork.
I rated Warren ahead of Vince due to his consistent improvement and longer time frame of success. Vince has about 1 1/2 seasons of playing the nose solidly vs, Ty's 2-3 years of solid to exceptional. No question good NTs are hard to find and if Vince matches Ty's trends he'll have a breakout year. I'm really looking forward to seeing if Ty duplicates or exceeds last season, if Vince takes the next step and Sey is healthy Asante does not become an issue.

1) Seymour
2) Wilfolk
3) Mankins
4) Warren
5) Graham
6) Watson
7) Maroney

Seymour, Warren, Mankins, Wilfork, Graham, Watson.
Maroney (INC) and Meriweather (INC).

And, in all honestly, Warren has surpassed Seymour.

Seymour, Warren, Mankins, Wilfork, Graham, Watson.
Maroney (INC) and Meriweather (INC).

Wilfork behind Mankins? no way

-Seymour
-Wilfork
-Warren
-Mankins
-Graham
-Watson
i wanna put Wilfork ahead of Sey but Sey has been great before Wilfork took the anchor

You look through the consistently good teams in the league and one of the common denominators are that they almost ALWAYS hit in round 1 picks.

It's actually a testament to the front office that this little exercise is so difficult.

1/2) Seymour and Warren. (Warren is just quietly consistent as hell, I've really come to respect his game.)
3) Wilfork
4) Mankins (grrr.. I could easily flip-flop 3 & 4)
5) Graham
6) Watson (Huge hopes for this guy, amazing talent, hope he moves up this list this year)

Maroney is still too soon to tell.

Warren had ONE year that he was better than Seymour. I think the idea that this means he has "surpassed" him is overstating things by a LOT.

Warren had ONE year that he was better than Seymour. I think the idea that this means he has "surpassed" him is overstating things by a LOT.

AGREED. Warren was GREAT last years but that statement is a bit much.

Do you guys think it's a make a break year for Watson or no? With his physical talents he should be above Mankins.

Do you guys think it's a make a break year for Watson or no? With his physical talents he should be above Mankins.

I personally do not and think his make or break season will be in '09 when his current contract is due to expire. Until then, he's a guy with great physical attributes as you've noted, a decent in-line and excellent trap blocker, a good receiver (though he needs to improve his consistency and work on his hands), a solid citizen and team guy, and a guy who takes up less cap room than the punter! Let's keep in mind that Graham, though he did always enjoy an advantage in the blocking department, had his own struggles as a receiver in the first two years with this team, but worked hard in becoming a steady, sure-handed receiver. I expect the same from Watson.

You look through the consistently good teams in the league and one of the common denominators are that they almost ALWAYS hit in round 1 picks.

Yeah, and the highway robbery by the front office from a dollars and cap sense is almost obscene considering we have or had them tied up to their rookie contracts for five or six years.

1) Seymour
2) Wilfolk
3) Mankins
4) Warren
5) Graham
6) Watson
7) Maroney

1.) Seymour
2.) Warren
3.) Wilfork
4.) Maroney
5.) Mankins
6.) Watson
7.) Graham

Do you guys think anyone of these other 1st round picks could ever replace Seymour at #1? I think perhaps Maroney if he could go on a tear for a couple of years otherwise I think Seymour has done enough to lock it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back