PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Boston Sports Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw Bill Russell in his day. How this dominate player who changed the play strategy in the NBA and was a reliable Championship machine without parallel isn't #1 on all such lists mystifies me.

Exactly right and he also won a gold medal and two National championships with San Francisco College, amazing.

When did the Patriots move to Boston? :)

I know what you guys are saying, but really each sport has its greats and comparing them is just insane.

I'm happy to have Red Auerbach, Bill Russell and Larry Bird.
I'm happy to have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady in football.
I'm happy to Bobby Orr in Hockey.
I'm happy to have Ted Williams in Baseball.

Comparing them is just madness. I just want that list to keep growing and enjoy every moment of it.

I saw Bill Russell in his day. How this dominate player who changed the play strategy in the NBA and was a reliable Championship machine without parallel isn't #1 on all such lists mystifies me.

I'm with you on this, tho I did go with Orr. I could go either way with little persuasion. However, how anyone could go with Brady is beyond me. Not dissing Tom, but compare the accomplishments of either Orr or Russell to Brady and you don't come close.

The OP doesn't define "legend," so we're on our own.

We seem to be talking about team sports and not sports that are primarily (!) tests of individual excellence like Tennis or Golf. So, personally, I'm going to tie "legend" to "team success." Someone else might see it differently and I wouldn't try to change his/her mind.

So, I have to say Bill Russell, hands down. After him, Orr and Bird and Brady, pretty much in that order.

Ted Williams described himself as wanting to be regarded as the "greatest hitter of all time." He was that, IMO, without a doubt and without the aid of performance enhancing substances. But, for me, the status of being the "best sports legend ever" brings with it the burden of helping deliver championships. So, he's no doubt in the top five, but not number one.

Last edited:
Any Mount Rushmore of Boston Sports would have to start with Red Auerbach, Bill Russell, and Bobby Orr. To me, the rest is a matter of debate although you wouldn’t get an argument from me about Williams and Larry Bird. I would also have to agree with RayClay and include Yaz on my Rushmore.

Russell has to be no. 1. The man changed the way basketball was played and invented the blocked shot. Wasn’t the goal tending rule implemented because of Russell. The man won 7 championships as a player and 2 more as a player-coach. Hell, they named the NBA Championship MVP Award after Russell. YouTube - Kobe Bryant is the 2009 NBA Finals MVP

Bobby Orr would be my no. 2. Call it personnel preference or whatever; but those who have had the privilege to watch Orr play in his prime would, IMHO, be lying if you didn't agree.

It now becomes a toss-up between Bird, Williams, and Yaz. BB's and Brady’s stories are still being written. If Terry Francona wins a few more world series, does he attain Mount Rushmore status?

Any Mount Rushmore of Boston Sports would have to start with Red Auerbach, Bill Russell, and Bobby Orr. To me, the rest is a matter of debate although you wouldn’t get an argument from me about Williams and Larry Bird. I would also have to agree with RayClay and include Yaz on my Rushmore.

Russell has to be no. 1. The man changed the way basketball was played and invented the blocked shot. Wasn’t the goal tending rule implemented because of Russell. The man won 7 championships as a player and 2 more as a player-coach. Hell, they named the NBA Championship MVP Award after Russell. YouTube - Kobe Bryant is the 2009 NBA Finals MVP

Bobby Orr would be my no. 2. Call it personnel preference or whatever; but those who have had the privilege to watch Orr play in his prime would, IMHO, be lying if you didn't agree.

It now becomes a toss-up between Bird, Williams, and Yaz. BB's and Brady’s stories are still being written. If Terry Francona wins a few more world series, does he attain Mount Rushmore status?

I agree with almost all of your assessment. Where I disagree is the Yaz pedestal. I followed Yaz in 67 and he was phenomenal. No one has come close to winning the Triple Crown in 42 years. He was a great defensive player and played left field at Fenway like no one ever dreamed. The problem was that he wasn't great all the time, as a matter of fact, he played poorly at times. There was a reason why large crowds booed him. I witnessed him giving up going to third against the Orioles. Just stopped. No injury, just gave up on the play which was not a sure out, until he stopped. The Orioles won that game by one run.
Now, tell me just one time when Larry Bird didn't give 100 %
Russell vomited before each big game, do you think he was ever a slacker?
The only time I saw Orr give up on trying to score a goal was when he just had had enough of Keith Magnuson hitting his ankles with a stick and threw down his gloves and gave Magnuson a whopping. Of course Keith was ok with that, God rest his soul.

I think because of my age and the fact that I was a b-baller, I go with Bird. He's the only athlete that I've ever actually idolized.

If you're going to put Red on Mt. Rushmore, then BB is already in the mix. Francona will never be since he's a field manager, Red and Bill were architects.

I agree on Orr, and I did have the priviledge. And like scout I haven't been able to watch the game since he left.

Brady could definitely be in the running for the top spot when all is said and done. He's already in the top 5 with potentially half a career left.

I saw Ted play too. And saw him boo'd. He was a splendid hitter. He was not an easy guy to like, and the media made sure many didn't. I think in hindsight the next generation (mine) tried to make amends for the way he was treated. He didn't win anything, but it wasn't exactly his fault. Yaz was a heart and soul guy. But he wasn't a legend. Although it wasn't his fault they didn't win either. They wuz cursed...by the olriginal Boston legend. Oddly there is nary a legend among those who reversed that curse. Pedro might have been (particularly if not for Grady...) but his shoulder finally gave out and the Boston media turned on him like they did on Williams in his day...;) But like Orr it was a priviledge, not to mention an event, to see him pitch in his prime.

Last edited:
I would rate in this order:

1. Russell
2. Williams
3. Brady
4. Bird
5. Orr
Now that I can agree with..although...Brady still has time..but RUSSELL number 1..without a doubt!!

If measured by impact on the Boston sports community, Harry Agganis has to rank up there. During his very short time here, he accomplished much. He was adored by the fans, as much for his attitude as for his athletic prowess. He drew a huge number of followers starting at Lynn High School.

As for his lasting effects, the foundation set up in his name has given out over $1.1 million in scholarships. That's impact.

If measured by impact on the Boston sports community, Harry Agganis has to rank up there. During his very short time here, he accomplished much. He was adored by the fans, as much for his attitude as for his athletic prowess. He drew a huge number of followers starting at Lynn High School.

As for his lasting effects, the foundation set up in his name has given out over $1.1 million in scholarships. That's impact.

I was going to post on him, just because of his legendary status. Tho, he was a little before my time.
Along with him, an honorable mention may go to Flutie at BC.
Had Julius Erving stayed at UMass we might be adding his name.
How about the legendary marathoner Bill Rogers.
Rocky Marciano anyone.

I'd always have Russell or Orr at # 1. I'm a hockey guy, so I'd always put Orr, but you can't deny the unbelievable things Russell and those early Celtic teams did.

Threads like this always remind me of how lucky we are to be Boston sports fans. Sure, the Red Sox went 86 years, the Pats went 41, and the Bruins haven't won a cup since 72 but we've seen some of the greatest players across all 4 "major" sports to ever play the game. We have arguably the greatest hockey player ever in Orr, the greatest 2 year pitching performance maybe in history with Pedro, we had a pre-roid Clemens, we have the greatest hitter ever in Ted Williams, we have the current Patriots, and with the Celtics we have the greatest NBA franchise there is.

I'd always have Russell or Orr at # 1. I'm a hockey guy, so I'd always put Orr, but you can't deny the unbelievable things Russell and those early Celtic teams did.

Threads like this always remind me of how lucky we are to be Boston sports fans. Sure, the Red Sox went 86 years, the Pats went 41, and the Bruins haven't won a cup since 72 but we've seen some of the greatest players across all 4 "major" sports to ever play the game. We have arguably the greatest hockey player ever in Orr, the greatest 2 year pitching performance maybe in history with Pedro, we had a pre-roid Clemens, we have the greatest hitter ever in Ted Williams, we have the current Patriots, and with the Celtics we have the greatest NBA franchise there is.

Amen. Another great off season thread with interesting reminiscences by the posters. Worth reading.

Bobby Orr #1 without doubt. He revolutionized the game of hockey and till this day is the only man in Boston who can Walk on water.

I agree completely. Isn't it interesting that of these all time great players, only one is a warm and fuzzy type with the fans, and that is Bobby Orr.

I am not saying that should be factored into anybody voting. It's just something I noticed. Teddy Ballgame had a very contenious relationship with the fans. Bill Russell would never sign autographs, and would let you know it. Bird wasn't rude or anything, but was very neutral (for lack of a better word) with the fans. Brady, again, is alright, but not the warmest person in the world, and would much rather keep to himself.

Orr will go out of his way with anybody that approaches him (supposedly). He's the one of the group that is said to be incredibly nice, and polite, and gracious. Again, I have no point, just something that came to mind as I read this. :)

I agree with almost all of your assessment. Where I disagree is the Yaz pedestal. I followed Yaz in 67 and he was phenomenal. No one has come close to winning the Triple Crown in 42 years. He was a great defensive player and played left field at Fenway like no one ever dreamed. The problem was that he wasn't great all the time, as a matter of fact, he played poorly at times. There was a reason why large crowds booed him. I witnessed him giving up going to third against the Orioles. Just stopped. No injury, just gave up on the play which was not a sure out, until he stopped. The Orioles won that game by one run.
Now, tell me just one time when Larry Bird didn't give 100 %
Russell vomited before each big game, do you think he was ever a slacker?
The only time I saw Orr give up on trying to score a goal was when he just had had enough of Keith Magnuson hitting his ankles with a stick and threw down his gloves and gave Magnuson a whopping. Of course Keith was ok with that, God rest his soul.

Agree totally. Yaz isn't part of this discussion, IMHO. He had his moments. But, he had more moments where he wasn't all that. In his 23 years in the majors, he hit above .300 only 6 times. He had more than 100 RBIs only 5 times. He averaged less than 20 HRs a season, and less than 150 hits a season. His career BA was .285. People don't realize all this. He just played forever, and the numbers added up after a while. Is a player that averages .285, with 19 homers, 148 hits, and 80 RBIs, even in the league of Ted Williams? Not in my mind. Bird, Williams, Russell, Orr, and Brady all come up in the discussions at least, for greatest player in their sports, at their positions. Yaz never does.

Last edited:
Don't know whether it's been mentioned yet or not.... but the reason Russell almost always gets under appriciated (as a player) in this town, is because of his bitter and distrusting attitude towards white people in his younger years. Much like Ted Wiliams, his relationship with the media and fans here was very cold. But that doesnt mean it was without good reason.

As far as accomplishments in Boston sports goes, I have a really hard time putting anyone ahead of him. He's the reason the Celtics are the greatest franchise in the history of Pro-Basketball.

russell.ksaa.jpeg

1. Russell

2. Bird
3. Orr
4. Brady

Yeah, Russell is number 1 by a mile.

1) Russell
2) Orr
3) Williams
4) Brady
5) Bird

Don't know whether it's been mentioned yet or not.... but the reason Russell almost always gets under appriciated (as a player) in this town, is because of his bitter and distrusting attitude towards white people in his younger years. Much like Ted Wiliams, his relationship with the media and fans here was very cold. But that doesnt mean it was without good reason.

As far as accomplishments in Boston sports goes, I have a really hard time putting anyone ahead of him. He's the reason the Celtics are the greatest franchise in the history of Pro-Basketball.

russell.ksaa.jpeg

In the Celtics forum, I talked about Russell and what a challenge Red had in handling that situation. Russell was the first athlete who wanted to be called black as opposed to Negro. Think that was easy. Civil Rights legislature was passed in 1964.
Years later Russell would sit in his seat while his number was retired while the crowd gave him a standing ovation lasting well over 5 minutes. Russell never stood.
He's mellowed, the country has changed, and the MVP Award is in his name.

Russell won the NBA championship 11 of the 13 years he was in the NBA. He was THE guy for those 11 championships, 8 straight championships at one point. As great as Orr, Bird, Ted, and Brady were/are, there's absolutely no way they can match Russell's legendary status. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3