PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who's your Mount Rushmore of Boston Sports?

I could be talked into something different but Bird was more my era. I picked Ted Williams because or the tunnel.
Well it’s certainly more justifiable than…….

Chara Lol

Kyrie Irving
Hannu Toivonen
Pablo Sandoval
Aaron Hernandez
Jordan Richards

How about this, what’s the next four, one per sport, on Rushmore part 2?

If you go Brady/Orr/Russell/Williams for 1

Then it’s…

Bird/Ortiz….who’s the Bruin and the Patriot? Such clear number ones in football and hockey, but after that? Who the heck is the second best patriot of all time? John Hannah? That seems weird

Hannah and it isn’t close. Arguably the best OL in the history of the NFL.

LA

deacon jones/eric ****erson
kareem/magic
sandy koufax
gretzky

NY

ruth/mantle
LT
ewing
messier/potvin

i just quickly did the two major cities that came to mind......LA is nice, but i don't think of gretzky as a king, he's an oiler.....it slips to marcel dionne if you take the great one away......koufax is nice, but he's not teddy ballgame......and brady crushes the rams greats

ruth/mantle - that's pretty close to the williams rarified air......LT isn't far behind, but brady is still brady......ewing ain't even close, and neither are messier or potvin

chicago
MJ
ernie banks
bobby hull/roenick
payton

this one is probably my favorite of them all......bobby hull is in that rarified strata, but he's not orr......MJ is some folks GOAT, that's close......payton ain't brady, but it's either he or sanders at GOAT RB......banks is nice, but......

i don't think anyone's big 4 can match boston's if you set the criteria as coming from each of the major sports........

For Metro NY Ruth, LT, Frazier, Brodeaur.

Still blows my mind there were only 10k people in Fenway for Teddy's last game.

In 83 when Yaz retired the Sox sucked but Fenway was jammed.

Ortiz had a weeks worth of adulation.

It was a weekday game IIRC.

It was a weekday game IIRC.
Just looked....it was a Wednesday. Did Williams say it was going to be his last game or gave no indication?

Just looked....it was a Wednesday. Did Williams say it was going to be his last game or gave no indication?

Not that I am aware of. Although there was a big deal when he didn’t tip his hat to the fans when he was being cheered.
Remember Ted had his .401 BA last day of the season. The Sox had a Dh, Ted played both games rather than back into the .400 for the season

Last edited:
Williams
Russell
Orr
Brady

Each were the greatest players in franchise history. Each changed the game in one way or another. All are consensus top 10 players of all time in their respective sport.

Not that I am aware of. Although there was a big deal when he didn’t tip his hat to the fans when he was being cheered.
Remember Ted had his .401 BA last day of the season. The Sox had a DJ, Ted played both games rather than back into the .400 for the season
I might need to re-read Leigh Montville's book on him.

Williams
Russell
Orr
Brady

All are consensus top 10 players of all time in their respective sport.
Top 10? Yeah, I think its pretty safe to say:

Williams top 5 easily.
Russell top 3 easily easy argument for 1
Orr is probably solidly top 2. Id be a tough argument for anyone to show me how it would be lower.
Brady prob solid 1

Orr revolutionized the D position. First D to be a factor on O. Head and shoulders above his peers not to mention his penalty kill. Ragged the puck like no one I’ve ever seen.

The more I think about this, here’s my list:

Tom Brady
Bill Russell
Bobby Orr
Pedro Martinez

Pedro is obviously the one who stands out.

Williams played for 19 seasons with the Red Sox while Pedro played for 6. This itself is enough for many to choose Williams. I think that's reasonable. However, I believe Pedro is the choice because what he did in six seasons is almost inarguably the most dominant era adjusted dominance in the history of baseball aside from Babe Ruth's feats.

The only argument amongst baseball nerds is whether Pedro's 1999 or 2000 season was the best in history (and he was better in 2001 before a career changing injury.). He was so dominant it's almost impossible to put into words. We remember how great Randy Johnson was. If you adjust for the peak steroid era and offenses be faced, and look at best 5-7 years, or best 2-3 years, he is leaps and bounds ahead of Johnson, far ahead of Gibson, Koufax, Clemens, Kershaw, Ryan, and Maddux. You can find a lot of these breakdowns on Youtube, Reddit, etc. The amazing thing is that everyone outside of Boston agrees...Pedro is universally worshipped by everyone including Yankees fans, Kershaw fan boys, etc.

But as incredible as the stats are, they don't stack up to the visual artistry of watching the man pitch from 1998-2003. Many have called it a quasi-religious experience. Many have cited watching Pedro as the reason they fell in love with the sport, or fans from other teams converting to Red Sox fans just to follow him and root for him. The way the ball moved off of his alien like long, hyper extendable fingers was a sight to behold. He didn't strike out batters but invalidated their manhood. He had three of the most devastating pitches including the most magical changeup you'll ever see .A little guy under 6' tall with the confidence of god, never giving a millimeter, later admitting 90% of his HBPs were intentional. That windup and delivery were iconic. Pedro is in extremely rare company of other athletes whereby they appear to possess something transcendent and watching them is surreal. Jordan and Maradona come to mind.

So many memorable near perfect games, heroic games, dominant games. 1999 ALDS obviously. 1999 ALCS. All the 17K games. The Yankee Stadium games. It's not a knock against Williams, but Pedro did get his legacy cementing ring and while he had lost his immortality in 2004, he was still solid overall in the postseason and pitched seven shutout innings in the WS.

The Red Sox made little effort to keep him past 2004. Pedro's health was a major concern. I don't see either side as wrong and this shouldn't be a knock on his Boston legacy. He went to Cooperstown with a Red Sox hat and constantly identifies as a Red Sox player and loves Boston. Rarely do you see a former non white athlete embrace the city like Pedro. There are also many stories from people about meeting him. A very jovial, outgoing guy who genuinely likes fans, always stayed longer to sign autographs, etc.

I'll admit there's some personal bias here, but that is kind of the point. Pedro brought out feelings of awe in people. Like Orr, he is a unicorn, someone whose style and "cheat code" level of dominance cannot be replicated.

Last edited:
After further thought:

1. Bobby Orr
2. Tom Brady
3. Bill Belichick
4. Mike Eruzione / Jim Craig / Dave Silk / Jack O'Callahan

The 4 BU guys from the Miracle get to split the 4th head.

2 GOAT players, 1 GOAT coach, and the GOAT sports moment in my life.

1. Bobby Orr
2. Bill Russell
3. Larry Bird
4. Tom Brady

Brady would have been higher if he played during my younger years
After I turned 30. I did not idolize anymore

1. Bobby Orr
2. Bill Russell
3. Larry Bird
4. Tom Brady

Brady would have been higher if he played during my younger years
After I turned 30. I did not idolize anymore
Brady has to be above Bird with his championship record. And Ted Williams is more than a tunnel. Last guy to hit over .400. How many decades has it been? Five guys need to be on it. A sixth possibly with Hog Hannah.

1. Bobby Orr
2. Bill Russell
3. Tom Brady
4. Larry Bird
5. Ted Williams
6. John Hannah

You need to think some more.

Unrivaled greatness is what the four share. It's not to say Bird and Williams weren't all time greats. Pedro had no true player rival in the league because he was in another class, or two classes.

Imagine if Randy Moss had come to New England in 2007 and played at his peak through 2012 (six years) being far and away the league's most talented player every season - as he was in 2007 - and then capped if off with a SB ring. People would debate if his atmospheric peak and accomplishments deserve a spot here.

Some people truly believe Brady isn't the greatest player in Boston sports?? He's arguably the greatest player on the big Mount Rushmore of sports. He easily stands on top of the local list.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back