PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking Boston Sports Legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who do you guys think in order are the best boston sports legends ever? I'm talking just the players, not owners or coaches. For me it's:

1. edit: Ted Williams

2. Bobby Orr - arguably the greatest NHL player ever.

3. Tom Brady - arguably the greatest QB ever.

4. Larry Bird

5. Bill Russell - 11 NBA titles.

The reason I put Orr number 2 is because he's possibly the greatest player of his sport ever. Bird and Russell are not the greatest NBA players and Brady might be one day.

I think if Brady is the GOAT, then that trumps every other Boston athlete ...ever. Personally, I try and put the Homer aside and find a reason Brady's not the GOAT and the only player I can argue against Brady is Montana - But if you consider what he's done so far and his potential over the next 5-6 years, Brady will most likely be the hands down GOAT by the time he hangs it up - That's gotta be good enough for No.1 in Boston.

Orr was great, but nationally you will not get him past Gretzky.

Russell was great, but you won't get past Jordan.

Ted Williams has a legit chance as GOAT.

In the Celtics forum, I talked about Russell and what a challenge Red had in handling that situation. Russell was the first athlete who wanted to be called black as opposed to Negro. Think that was easy. Civil Rights legislature was passed in 1964.
Years later Russell would sit in his seat while his number was retired while the crowd gave him a standing ovation lasting well over 5 minutes. Russell never stood.
He's mellowed, the country has changed, and the MVP Award is in his name.

Yes he has mellowed and the country has changed. Nice recap. Russell's attitude towards the fans never bothered me as I've never had any desire to buddy up with pro atheletes.

Old number 6 is #1 always

I think if Brady is the GOAT, then that trumps every other Boston athlete ...ever. Personally, I try and put the Homer aside and find a reason Brady's not the GOAT and the only player I can argue against Brady is Montana - But if you consider what he's done so far and his potential over the next 5-6 years, Brady will most likely be the hands down GOAT by the time he hangs it up - That's gotta be good enough for No.1 in Boston.

Orr was great, but nationally you will not get him past Gretzky.

Russell was great, but you won't get past Jordan.

Ted Williams has a legit chance as GOAT.

1.) Russell is the G*O*A*T.

2.) There's more than just Montana with a legitimate claim to the title in the NFL. Graham, Baugh and Starr would be in the discussion along with Unitas. I rate Brady there, but there are certainly valid reasons to go elsewhere. In fact, CHFF has Brady at 5:

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: The definitive list: Top 10 NFL quarterbacks

3.) The G*O*A*T in baseball is Ruth He was an all-star pitcher and is the greatest hitter in the history of the game. Ruth is #10 all time in batting average to go along with his home run totals. He's first in slugging % and OBP slugging %, second in on base %, 4th in runs scored, 6th in total bases, 3rd in home runs, 2nd in RBIs, 3rd in walks and ranks high in many more categories:

Babe Ruth Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

And he did this while often playing with the shorter seasons and in the dead ball era.

Last edited:
Who do you guys think in order are the best boston sports legends ever? I'm talking just the players, not owners or coaches. For me it's:

4. Larry Bird

I'd reverse the list (but keep Williams at the top) and go from there. Brady is in position, though, to rocket up. But as of now, he's still no Russell or Bird.

1.) Russell is the G*O*A*T.

2.) There's more than just Montana with a legitimate claim to the title in the NFL. Graham, Baugh and Starr would be in the discussion along with Unitas. I rate Brady there, but there are certainly valid reasons to go elsewhere. In fact, CHFF has Brady at 5:

Cold, Hard Football Facts.com: The definitive list: Top 10 NFL quarterbacks

3.) The G*O*A*T in baseball is Ruth He was an all-star pitcher and is the greatest hitter in the history of the game. Ruth is #10 all time in batting average to go along with his home run totals. He's first in slugging % and OBP slugging %, second in on base %, 4th in runs scored, 6th in total bases, 3rd in home runs, 2nd in RBIs, 3rd in walks and ranks high in many more categories:

Babe Ruth Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

And he did this while often playing with the shorter seasons and in the dead ball era.

All great points.

All great points.

The great thing about lists like this is that everything can count. I can point to all those Ruth numbers, for example, but you could say something like "Last player to bat over .400", and use that as your reasoning.

It really lets people get 'hostile' without ever really getting resolution, but in a good way, because it keeps the conversations interesting.

And, really, isn't the most important thing the fact that the Yankees and Jets suck, and that Kobe only got his title because Garnett was injured? :D

The great thing about lists like this is that everything can count. I can point to all those Ruth numbers, for example, but you could say something like "Last player to bat over .400", and use that as your reasoning.

It really lets people get 'hostile' without ever really getting resolution, but in a good way, because it keeps the conversations interesting.

And, really, isn't the most important thing the fact that the Yankees and Jets suck, and that Kobe only got his title because Garnett was injured? :D

Yes, I agree 100%.

The most difficult thing to do is rank guys you never watched play a game outside of NFL films highlights.

Who am I to argue against Slingin' Sammy Baugh to someone that actually watched him play, or Otto Graham or Bart Starr.

I heard last week the Bill Russell was introduced on a sports show as "Hall of Famer Bill Russell" and he said he preferred to be introduced as the "captain of the Celtics".

I heard last week the Bill Russell was introduced on a sports show as "Hall of Famer Bill Russell" and he said he preferred to be introduced as the "captain of the Celtics".

Awesome. In addition, last year someone mentioned Russell as the new ambassador of the Celtics.
In regards to the list, who cares how someone is ranked nationally. If I'm drafting any player in his prime, I'm taking Russell. If you polled that question nationally most would pick Jordan and I'm sure plenty would pick Kobe and LeBron.
Do the same in hockey and I'll take Orr (tho, I did miss the Gretzky era).
I don't know if I take Brady, there would be a lot to consider on that one.
Williams may have been the greatest hitter, but there are more phases of the game. For instance, Willie Mays was a more complete player (5 tool).

I think because of my age and the fact that I was a b-baller, I go with Bird. He's the only athlete that I've ever actually idolized.

I agree. While his accomplishments are not equal to Russell's (greatest winner), Bird had such an aura about him. He was not the greatest athlete, but could see the game better than anyone ever and had ice in his veins....Like PJ, he was the only athlete I ever idolized.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzLQVs0RdE&feature=related

Last edited:
1. Bill Russell
2. Cy Young
3. Eddie Shore
4. John Hannah
5. Babe Ruth

Nobody's mentioned Bill Rodgers. Smaller sport, I guess.

Marvin Hagler was another great.....

what i'm seeing from everyone is basically if you are a hockey guy, it's orr. if you are more of a basketball guy, it's russell. it doesn't seem like many people like both hockey and basketball - it's either one or the other.

if bobby orr played a full career, i wonder if people would have a different sentiment. he only played 12 years in the NHL, won 8 Norris tropheys and 2 cups. i believe knee injuries cut his career short. as far as gretzky being GOAT, yeah he was great but i really think orr was more skilled.

let's just hope TB has some more left in the tank to win 3 more titles and put this argument to rest!

1. Russel
2. Babe Ruth
3. Tom Brady
4. Bobby Orr
5. Dave Roberts

All about championships. That's what makes legends.

Last edited:

4. Larry Bird

The reason I put Orr number 2 is because he's possibly the greatest player of his sport ever. Bird and Russell are not the greatest NBA players and Brady might be one day.

You have a few missing, you young whipper snapper.

There was a lefty pitcher who won twenty games a season for the Red Sox. Matter of fact he was the last guy who pitched left handed to win twenty games a seasopn for the Sox. He was a fairly good hitter too.
Fellow by the name of... Babe Ruth.

Then there was a pitcher for the Red Sox who was so good they named an award after him, as the best MLB pitcher of the year.
Fellow by the name of... Cy Young.

Last edited:
Top 10 Boston Legends of all time

1 Ted Williams
2 Larry Bird
3 Bill Russel
4 Tom Brady
5 Carl Yaztremski
6 Bobby Orr
7 Carlton Fisk
8 John Havlichick
9 Curt Schilling- although I hate the guy
10 Jim Rice

Honarable Mention- Steve Grogan, Johnny Damon, Mike Lowell, Bill belichick

I would rate in this order:

1. Russell
2. Williams
3. Brady
4. Bird
5. Orr

I'd second that - though my lack of knowledge and interest in Hockey could account for my ranking of Orr last in the bunch.

1. Russel was such a dominant force it's off the scale. Not only did he dominate (11 titles just one of many marks he helped set) it's how and when he did it, carrying the burden of equal rights on his shoulders as well. He really established what should be termed an Ultra-Dynasty for all their consecutive titles.

2.Williams was dominant in his own way - baseball's a different sport where one is less able to carry an entire team on his back. Williams I heard once schooled a modern major league batter (Nomar perhaps) about letting the first two strikes go by because a good batter should only need one to hit. Add to that Williams' service to his country in war time, giving up the best baseball years of his life for a nobler cause and he's at the top of any list as well, but I'll still give the nod to Russel and his 11 title dominance.

3.Brady largely strapped the team to his back to lead them to 3 titles - though football ultimately is a team sport and Brady never could have done it truly alone. Still, he did what none could do before him and did it three times total, showing what clutch play is all about.

4. Bird also embodies what hard work and heart can achieve - not the most talented player of his time but quite simply, he frightened opponents, always wanted the ball when it counted, and grabbed 3 titles in a VERY competitive era in the sport. If not for Russell's top spot for the Celts Bird might contend for #1 himself.

Obviously one could go on and on about any of these guys and why they're worthy but those aspects are what set them apart for me.

5. Orr - I'll let others speak more to this. I'm just not a hocky fan. Period. It's violent soccer on ice with skates and I still find it boring. Drop another puck on the ice and you might get me to watch - but probably still not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes