PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rank the AFC playoff teams in order of best-worst matchup for the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pessimistic Pete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
1. Texans
Pretty self-explanatory. We easily defeated this team with a pretty vanilla gameplan in their own stadium. Absolutely no threat on offense.

2. Bengals
I have no faith in AJ coming to Foxboro and beating the Pats, nor do I respect Marvin Lewis enough to fear them being truly ready to play the Pats. That being said, in order to play the Bengals, they'd have to have finally broken their no-playoff-wins-with-Lewis streak, which makes you take them a bit more seriously.

3. Steelers
This would be the AFC Championship game, of course. It goes without saying, Ben is by far the best playoff QB in the AFC not on our team and their offense would pose a big threat. That being said, we have historically owned the Steelers in the BB/Brady era (be it with offensive/defensive dominant teams) and this Steelers team also has the worst defense of the AFC playoff teams.

4. Chiefs
This team kind of reminds me of the Jets, well-rounded, solid-all-around team with an above average QB. The type of team that could smother the Pats offense and make enough plays on offense to slow the game down.

5. @ Broncos
With the "@" at being key here. I absolutely do NOT want to go to Denver for the AFC Championship game. Despite their obvious offensive flaws, they still have the best defense in the NFL and a home advantage that has not been kind to the Patriots

I'll play it a little differently: what scenario is best for Patriots? Starting with wild card weekend.

My first preference would be Pittsburgh beats Cincinnati, then goes to Denver and knocks the Broncos out of the playoffs so the Pats do not have to play at Mile High. I think the Steelers have the best chance of beating Denver, and yet I think the Pats would beat them again in Foxboro, probably even more easily than the season opener. In this scenario I'd like Houston to beat KC and then come to Foxboro.

Next best would be if the Bengals win having the Chiefs beat Houston and then win in Denver. I think that Kansas City could do that, and I do think the Pats would beat them in Foxboro if they do. But I feel more confident about the scenario with Pittsburgh, on both games (Denver and Pats).

I'll play it a little differently: what scenario is best for Patriots? Starting with wild card weekend.

My first preference would be Pittsburgh beats Cincinnati, then goes to Denver and knocks the Broncos out of the playoffs so the Pats do not have to play at Mile High. I think the Steelers have the best chance of beating Denver, and yet I think the Pats would beat them again in Foxboro, probably even more easily than the season opener. In this scenario I'd like Houston to beat KC and then come to Foxboro.

Next best would be if the Bengals win having the Chiefs beat Houston and then win in Denver. I think that Kansas City could do that, and I do think the Pats would beat them in Foxboro if they do. But I feel more confident about the scenario with Pittsburgh, on both games (Denver and Pats).

Not much faith in Houston beating the Chiefs, but who knows?

Steelers led by a multiple Superbowl champion QB should beat a Bengals team led by a rookie QB.

Dalton had his cast removed Monday and will likely be the backup QB this weekend.

It's quite possible that they'd have him go @Foxborough next Saturday afternoon, although it's anyone's guess as to how effective he'd be. I haven't agreed with the assumption that we'd definitely be playing McCarron for weeks now. I think it'd be about 50/50.

Steelers led by a multiple Superbowl champion QB should beat a Bengals team led by a rookie QB.

They "should," but I'm expecting a closer game than most. I think that Pittsburgh will have its hands full with the Cincy defense and a pumped up crowd. My concern would be with how Cincy will score.

@ Denver. It could be against the Browns @ Denver and it would still be our toughest matchup.

dont want to get screwed over in mile high. broncos must be eliminated next week.

would be sweet if we somehow got the texans in the 2nd round. we'd basically have two bye weeks.

If the o-line is solid, I fear none of them.

If not, I worry about them all.

Pretty much what you said.
OL plays well (and assuming there are no setbacks in injured players returning) then all these teams are in trouble against the Patriots. When healthy the Patriots have too much potency on O, too much playmaking capability on D, with solid STs, to lose to these teams (while noting the 'any given Sunday' possibility is always there). The only one I would be concerned with is Denver because (a) in Denver (b) league greatly prefers media darling PM going out a SB winner (c) if PM is playing relatively well they are the only team that also has balance. IMHO Cincy(though they are closer), KC, Pitt and Houston are all teams that have noted area of strengths but definitely not balance. They'd have to come in and see their one strength shine while their soft spots play far better than they have shown capable.

OTOH if the OL continues its inconsistent play, every win the Patriots gain may have to be scratched out with last minute scores required (last month's Giants game for example).

If it falls that way, I'm not concerned about the Broncos in Denver. I am concerned about the officials in Denver.

They "should," but I'm expecting a closer game than most. I think that Pittsburgh will have its hands full with the Cincy defense and a pumped up crowd. My concern would be with how Cincy will score.

Hard to say how good Pittsburgh really is (especially now that D'Angelo Williams is hurt).

I'd like to see KC go on to knock Denver out of the playoffs in the divisional. If you think about it, KC was just as screwed over as we were by the officiating job on the Patriots in that Denver regular season game. KC should have won that division. If they go on to knock off Denver in the divisional and give us HFA back, then justice prevails.

dont want to get screwed over in mile high. broncos must be eliminated next week.

would be sweet if we somehow got the texans in the 2nd round. we'd basically have two bye weeks.

Although I would hope the Pats would bring a serious game plan and not do the Philly/Miami thing where they joke around with weird sh*t figuring it's an automatic win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye