PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randall Cobb and Others Giving Discounts (and how it relates to Darrelle Revis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, players sometimes give discounts when they strongly prefer one team. Certainly, players might choose to play for a competitive team, and ignore much higher offers from non-contendors.

For me, the Cobb situation is very similar to that of McCourty. Both chose to continue to play for the team that drafted and developed them. A few million was not enough to move from the only team that they have played for and had success. And yes, they probably have endorsement money, even in Green Bay.

To me, this does NOT suggest that Revis should or will give the New England a discount. Of course, New England fans know that we are the best franchise in the NFL and have been that since Brady started his first game. That does NOT mean that every player should or would give Boston a discount to play here.

There are lots and lots of stories about Revis out there. Revis really likes the jets organization and really likes NY. He didn't want to leave the team that made him a folk hero and publicized "Revis Island". And the jets didn't want him to go. But, the NFL is a business and Revis moved on from the jets.

The patriots may indeed re-sign Revis, but make no mistake, Revis would be extremely happy going back to NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another point to consider other than income tax, local endorsements, etc is the value of the impressions the player will receive. On teams like Green Bay and New England the player will receive far more prime time national airtime than they would if they were playing for the Jets or the Raiders. TNF, SNF, MNF, flex games, playoffs, and the big one. Those are all massive broadcast events that star players will be mentioned and showcased quite a bit in. That is huge value to the personal brand of that player and the single most valuable endorsement negociation asset the player could have. A lot of people, agents included, seem to miss this aspect.

Another point to consider other than income tax, local endorsements, etc is the value of the impressions the player will receive. On teams like Green Bay and New England the player will receive far more prime time national airtime than they would if they were playing for the Jets or the Raiders. TNF, SNF, MNF, flex games, playoffs, and the big one. Those are all massive broadcast events that star players will be mentioned and showcased quite a bit in. That is huge value to the personal brand of that player and the single most valuable endorsement negociation asset the player could have. A lot of people, agents included, seem to miss this aspect.

I do think NYC's market is an exception, given that it is the heart of the 24/7 media cycle. Your point is well taken though. Far better exposure being in the playoffs constantly, playing for a team like the Packers than a place that is up and down, sort of like the Panthers or Texans, etc.

Another point to consider other than income tax, local endorsements, etc is the value of the impressions the player will receive.

I agree.

NY is a HUGE market with lots of endorsement possibilities. How might Revis earn in endorsements in NY compared to Boston?

There is no income tax in FL. Suh's contract may be higher than ANY other contract when comparing after-tax income.

Revis is going to get the 14 million plus he wants from a lot of teams but only Boston and NYC can give him the media market his ego needs, look at Aqib Talib with the pats in 2013 the first half of the season he was the front runner for DPOY but with Denver he had pretty much the same season but yet was never really talked about at all in the media

While that makes perfect sense Revis is one of the fee superstar athletes to assiduously stay out of the limelight. I don't think I have ever seen him endorse anything.

While that makes perfect sense Revis is one of the fee superstar athletes to assiduously stay out of the limelight. I don't think I have ever seen him endorse anything.
IIRC, he has deals with Nike and Bose as his big ones. He does limit the camera time, but I think the real big one for these guys is the passive income deals where they can just sign off on their likeness and collect checks. I know Brady has a bunch of them, but other than his equity deals with UA and Uggs I don't see him going the Manning route. Which is another thing, too, because Manning devalues his brand by doing those things whereas Brady keeps his as aspirational which increases his value. It's also where the primetime exposure really adds significant value. There's (a lot of) money in commercials, photoshoots, promo stuff like Edelman does, but the most efficient ones are the passive deals. Sorry for the length on that one but I work in media so I tend to nerd out on the topic of endorsements :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back