PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders sent the 5 day letter to Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now they're saying no letter yet...PFT...reporters are backtracking.

Wow. Of course what do you expect when dealing with Al Davis. Dude is unhealthy and needs to step away from the management of the Raiders.

I checked Schefter's twitter and he's not backtracking there.

I think the important thing is the Raiders acknowledging it's on them to send the letter. I think it's not to their advantage for anyone to know the exact timetable because of the increased scrutiny that will be placed on them as a deadline approaches/passes that only gives them the right/ability to put him on the list as opposed to requiring they do so...

This is really a game of chicken and the stakes are incredible. They apparently have to scare him in while hoping they can still at least get him to play without waiving the 2010 tag if not sign a 3-4 year extension. Otherwise their #1 went for a seasonal rental.

I checked Schefter's twitter and he's not backtracking there.

I think the important thing is the Raiders acknowledging it's on them to send the letter. I think it's not to their advantage for anyone to know the exact timetable because of the increased scrutiny that will be placed on them as a deadline approaches/passes that only gives them the right/ability to put him on the list as opposed to requiring they do so...

This is really a game of chicken and the stakes are incredible. They apparently have to scare him in while hoping they can still at least get him to play without waiving the 2010 tag if not sign a 3-4 year extension. Otherwise their #1 went for a seasonal rental.

I read somewhere that Seymour can collect game checks from the Raiders

because he is on the 53 man roster. This seems to remove any incentive

for him to report short of the 5 day letter.

Last edited:

There are lots of incentives to report to the team that traded for you. Trades happen all the time and this is a rarity, so le's not act like he has no reason to report unless forced to.

But you bring up a point about him getting paid even if he never reports but stays in Foxboro. Do you remember where you read this? (As in was it a legitimate news outlet or on some forum with speculating and guessing donkeys like us?)

I don't know who to believe on this. Are the Raiders that stupid that they would send the letter, which would provide damning evidence that they see Seymour as theirs, and subsequently their problem? (I know the answer is yes, but still...). The bottom line is that Seymour has played his last down in New England. C'mon man, what are you doing? Seymour has always been the one who understood that football is a business. I am shocked that he has not reported.

Dale just read the report Schefter has updated to on his insider blog. He's basically now saying that the letter is written, the letter is signed, the letter may or may not have been sent out yesterday evening but if not it will be sent out sometime this weekend. Probably has to be to justify the roster waiver. Can't give those to teams who have recourse and choose not to avail themselves of it...

I think thats true but once they send the letter they can suspend him at any time and the checks stop.

There are lots of incentives to report to the team that traded for you. Trades happen all the time and this is a rarity, so le's not act like he has no reason to report unless forced to.

But you bring up a point about him getting paid even if he never reports but stays in Foxboro. Do you remember where you read this? (As in was it a legitimate news outlet or on some forum with speculating and guessing donkeys like us?)

Probably SI or Fox. It may have been in the Truth or Rumors. It

wasn't from another forum.

I disagree. It can, and should, vary widely. If I'm going to sign a FA to a multi year contract I'm going to be way more comprehensive in the testing I'll do on him than I would on some scrub that may or may not make the team. If I'm going to give up a first round draft choice, and millions of dollars in salary, I'm going to be way more comprehensive in the testing than if he's already on my roster and I'm already paying him guaranteed millions. The dude coming in, you still have a choice on whether to take him or not, the dude on your roster is already there. So in the exam of the player coming in the physical is to find existing conditions that will affect the player's long term risk of injury and if he is healthy enough to play now. The exam of the player already on the team is just to find out if he is healthy enough to play now.

You are ignoring the fact that you are conditioning employment on the physical. By the nature of that you can't have different rules for different people.
You dont fail a free agents medical exam, you examine him before you sign him.
You are mixing up circumstances. I agree that health issues could be part of the decision of whether or not to offer a contract to a FA, or the length you offer. But thats not the issue here, the issue here is terminating a contract due to health, and if you do so, you open yourself up to serious repercussions.

Schefter made some reference to it on his twitter yesterday.

Now, most here think if Schefter says it it must be gold....they will tend to forget the incidents that occur when it's not.

But hey, suddenly PFT and ESPN became valid in this thread so it's a bold new world.

Last edited:
You are ignoring the fact that you are conditioning employment on the physical. By the nature of that you can't have different rules for different people.
I am not conditioning employment on the physical, I am conditioning the trade on the physical. If the trade is voided Seymour is still employed by the Patriots, right?
You dont fail a free agents medical exam, you examine him before you sign him.
That was just an example of the varying degrees of physicals and their uses. Seymour must pass a physical before the trade is complete.
You are mixing up circumstances. I agree that health issues could be part of the decision of whether or not to offer a contract to a FA, or the length you offer. But thats not the issue here, the issue here is terminating a contract due to health, and if you do so, you open yourself up to serious repercussions.
No, the issue is voiding a trade. A team, as it is set up now, has the right to use a different set of standards when evaluating a player they are trading for, than a physical to clear a player to practice and/or play with the team. I may be wrong but if you look at the example below that's the way it seems. Suggs failed a physical by the Jets that voided the trade. Cleveland said he passed their physical and kept him. The league did nothing as far as I can tell.

Running back Lee Suggs failed his physical with the New York Jets on Tuesday, voiding his trade from Cleveland......

"We have a whole series of tests that we do, and we were very thorough with the process," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "He just didn't pass those tests. ... Each team has a criteria they set up that they believe is what's important and what's needed to be competitive. I'm very comfortable with the tests we have set up.".......

But the Browns disputed the Jets' findings. Browns general manager Phil Savage noted that while Suggs has been injury prone, he hasn't missed any practice time this year and played in the first preseason game.

"Medical opinions can vary from team to team, and obviously this is one team's opinion," Savage said. "We anticipate Lee Suggs returning to the Browns and working hard in practice and preparing for the season to the best of his ability, just as he has shown throughout his career with the Browns."........

Suggs fails physical, trade to Jets voided - NFL - ESPN

I found this here on this board...
The Browns released a statement that disputes the Jets' medical decision, with GM Phil Savage saying that Suggs will return to practice immediately.

"Medical opinions can vary from team to team, and obviously this is one team's opinion," Savage said.

Said Browns coach Romeo Crennel: "They've got a new regime down there, so maybe they're doing things a little differently. All I can say is the kid was practicing for us."

The Herald is saying that Seymour got the 5 day letter

on Thursday. It was hand delivered to him.

Last edited:
It seems very unusual for Bob Kraft not to comment on a trade like this, and that could mean there are ongoing negotiations. The Raiders said they got permission from the league to create another roster spot, and that implies Seymour won't be on their active roster for the first week's game.

blah blah blah bloop

All this makes even less sense than that other Charger fan's posts.

You are working hard to prove that a team has figured a way to wiggle out of a trade they just made.

???????????

They don't have to come up with ways to wiggle out of trades. They just don't make the trade. If they don't want a player, they don't trade for him.

Can we just stop with all this Machiavellian bullcrap?

And please stop with the Al Davis has changed his mind about selecting a player because of what mediots think. Come on, I mean, if here is ANYONE who selects players regardless of common consensus, it is Al Davis.

I am not conditioning employment on the physical, I am conditioning the trade on the physical. If the trade is voided Seymour is still employed by the Patriots, right? That was just an example of the varying degrees of physicals and their uses. Seymour must pass a physical before the trade is complete.
No, the issue is voiding a trade. A team, as it is set up now, has the right to use a different set of standards when evaluating a player they are trading for, than a physical to clear a player to practice and/or play with the team. I may be wrong but if you look at the example below that's the way it seems. Suggs failed a physical by the Jets that voided the trade. Cleveland said he passed their physical and kept him. The league did nothing as far as I can tell.

Running back Lee Suggs failed his physical with the New York Jets on Tuesday, voiding his trade from Cleveland......

"We have a whole series of tests that we do, and we were very thorough with the process," Jets coach Eric Mangini said. "He just didn't pass those tests. ... Each team has a criteria they set up that they believe is what's important and what's needed to be competitive. I'm very comfortable with the tests we have set up.".......

But the Browns disputed the Jets' findings. Browns general manager Phil Savage noted that while Suggs has been injury prone, he hasn't missed any practice time this year and played in the first preseason game.

"Medical opinions can vary from team to team, and obviously this is one team's opinion," Savage said. "We anticipate Lee Suggs returning to the Browns and working hard in practice and preparing for the season to the best of his ability, just as he has shown throughout his career with the Browns."........

Suggs fails physical, trade to Jets voided - NFL - ESPN

I found this here on this board...
The Browns released a statement that disputes the Jets' medical decision, with GM Phil Savage saying that Suggs will return to practice immediately.

"Medical opinions can vary from team to team, and obviously this is one team's opinion," Savage said.

Said Browns coach Romeo Crennel: "They've got a new regime down there, so maybe they're doing things a little differently. All I can say is the kid was practicing for us."

blah blah blah bloop

You are working hard to prove that a team has figured a way to wiggle out of a trade they just made.

???????????

They don't have to come up with ways to wiggle out of trades. They just don't make the trade. If they don't want a player, they don't trade for him.
They made the trade, it's already done. It's a fact. It was someone here that was saying that the trade was done, no going back, even if the Raiders DID want to back out. I'm just saying there IS a way to void this trade IF they want to. We'll see. IMO, the trade goes through.

And please stop with the Al Davis has changed his mind about selecting a player because of what mediots think. Come on, I mean, if here is ANYONE who selects players regardless of common consensus, it is Al Davis.
There's a bit of a misunderstanding here. You seem to think I said that Davis changed his mind. I never said that. In fact I think it helps the Chargers IF the trade goes through. The Patriots, imo, are weaker THIS year without Seymour, one of the better Dlinemen in the game. Also it doesn't help the Raiders enough to make them a real threat to the Chargers in the AFC west, especially now that Seymour will not be ready for the Monday night game against the Chargers even IF everything goes through.

blah blah blah bloop

???????????

Can we just stop with all this Machiavellian bullcrap?

Made sense to me. There are a number of precedents for trades getting voided when players fail their physicals. It's happened a bunch of times, even when the results of the physical were disputed.

Lombardi reports Seymour placed on the Raiders reserved left squad...

It was on the NFLN ticker, dont know what this means exactly but yeah..

Raiders placed DE Richard Seymour on their reserve/left team list, according to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi.
Seymour definitely won't play Monday against San Diego, which is another blow to Oakland's porous run defense. Reserve/left team means Seymour risks losing his entire $3.685 million salary for failing to show after his trade from the Patriots. It would also means Seymour may not play at all in 2009.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call