PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

R.I.P., Marquise Hill (1982-2007)

Status
Not open for further replies.
he suffered a mild concussion during the incident. no drugs or alcohol however.

I just heard the same thing on NESN but it is regarded as "he may have had a concussion"

My condolences to the Hill family. Only 24 years old, so sad.

Hi there, I am a Denver Broncos fan, i just wanted to visit this site to say. RIP MR. Hill. The thoughts and prayers of the Broncos Nation goes out to his family, friends and teammates.

Marcus Spears discussed his feelings and reminisced about his relationship with Mr. Hill at the Cowboys site:

Heavy Heart
Spears Mourns Tragic Death Of Former LSU Roommate

IRVING, Texas - Cowboys defensive end Marcus Spears attended the team's voluntary OTA (organized team activity) practice Tuesday morning at Valley Ranch.

Physically, he was at Valley Ranch, running through the drills and plays with his teammates.

But mentally, Spears admits his mind was somewhere else. Somewhere closer to his college teammates at LSU who are all coping with the tragic loss of Marquise Hill, who was found dead Monday afternoon after he reportedly fell off a personal watercraft and drowned in Lake Pontchartrain near New Orleans. On Tuesday, authorities officially ruled the incident an "accidental drowning."

Spears and Hill entered LSU together back in 2002 and lived in the same house for three years. The Cowboys defensive end called Hill one of his best friends.

"It's tough, man," Spears said on Tuesday, still awaiting official word on the funeral plans. "It's just really tough. I'm still in shock, I guess. We all know death is something we've got to go through. But you're just never prepared for it, especially for a guy who's 24 years old and has a two-year old son. It's just tough."

Hill, a former LSU standout who spent the last three seasons with the New England Patriots, was pronounced dead Monday afternoon, some 17 hours after he was first reported missing.

Hill and a female friend reportedly ventured out on the lake where they fell off the watercraft Sunday night. Hill's friend was able to grab onto a piling until she was rescued.

But Hill, who friends say was a good swimmer, reportedly might have suffered a concussion and drifted away until his body was found on Monday afternoon. Investigators reportedly said neither was wearing a life vest.

"I got a call that night from Skyler (Green)," Spears said, referring to the former Cowboys draft pick in 2006 who played at LSU and is now a member of the Cincinnati Bengals. "He called me when (Hill) was first missing. So all night long I was just hoping he would turn up, washed up on the shore or something, just out of breath maybe. But that next day, when we didn't hear anything, I was just sort of waiting for the inevitable."

Although Hill and Spears began their collegiate careers together, Hill left LSU a year before Spears to declare for the 2004 NFL Draft. After getting selected in the second round (63rd overall), Hill had played only one game as a rookie and just 13 games in three seasons.

Spears said he last spoke to Hill about two weeks ago, but said he talked to him more during the season.

"Well, he was inactive for a few games, and I would always call him and talk to him about that - trying to keep his spirits up," Spears said. "But we were like brothers. We talked about everything. But he was in a good spot up there in New England. He was playing with some former LSU guys, some teammates. So I think he liked being up there."

Spears said Hill had become close with current Patriots and former LSU standouts Randall Gay, Kevin Faulk and Jarvis Green.

But in college, he said there was no separating the four who lived in the same house for three years.

"It was me and Marquise, and then Michael Clayton and Ben Wilkerson," Spears said. "We all lived three for about three years. And we always had the same dreams. We all said we were going to win a national championship and we were going to all make it to the pros. And we fulfilled that."

Those four players were all members of LSU's national championship in 2003 when they defeated Oklahoma in the BCS national championship game in New Orleans.

Hill jumped to the NFL that season, and Clayton also was drafted in the first round by Tampa Bay in 2004. Wilkerson, LSU's starting center, signed with the Bengals as an undrafted free agent following the 2005 draft, but has been with Cincinnati for the last two years.

"We were all pretty close," Spears said. "We kept in touch. Not as much was we probably should've, but that's usually how it goes. But anytime you lose someone like that, it's just real tough. That's about all I can really say."

Spears said he anticipated the funeral would be held in New Orleans, possibly as early as this week. He said he will remain in Dallas and even participate in the OTA practices until he leaves for the services.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=DA2000B1-DD96-8D73-FC8DEB089BD7982E

Thanks TTTB for that article. It was a good one. Still do not want to believe that this happened. I am proud of Patriots Nation for our unity and respect we have had for this horrible horrible incident. I saw on other sites a few people making jokes about it on a different website and that just tore me apart. However Bob George's article on this site was awful. Please show some respect. RIP Marquise you will be missed.

I don't know if this has already been posted (sorry if it has), but Kraft is flying the entire team in mass out to NO for Marquise' funeral:

May 29th, 2007
Kraft sending team to New Orleans
Posted by Albert Breer at 10:18 pm

Patriots chairman Robert Kraft has booked a charter flight for the team to fly to New Orleans en masse. With visitation hours scheduled for Friday from 6-9 p.m., and the team slated to have a passing camp that morning, the idea will allow players to take part in the practice and then head to Louisiana to pay their respects.
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1227

Romeo Crennel on Marquise Hill:

May 29th, 2007
Crennel on Hill
Posted by Albert Breer at 9:46 pm

Browns coach Romeo Crennel, ever the class act, just sent over his thoughts on yesterday’s tragedy. Crennel, then New England’s defensive coordinator, coached the late Marquise Hill as a rookie during the Patriots’ 2004 championship season.

Wrote Crenell in a statement: “I want to send my prayers and condolences out to the family of Marquise Hill who we lost over the weekend in a tragic accident. I coached the young man a little bit up at New England and he was a good kid. It’s just unfortunate that something like that did happen. But in this life, we have to deal with those things and have to move on. I hope the family can move on and go forward.”
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=1226

Last edited:
My 9 year old son and I were watching the 4 letter when they ran this story. He looked at me and said "well, at least he played for the patriots".:eek:

I was SHOCKED, to say the least. I couldn't beleive that he didn't realize the significance of what happened. I told him that no matter what team he played for or what he did in life, he was a HUMAN BEING, no different than me or my son, and was the victim of a tragic accident. At times like this, sports no longer matter. We're talking about the tragic death of a vibrant young man. Its a tragedy, regardless of the circumstances.

Condolences to the Hill family and all of patriot nation from my family and I.

Personally I find that an inspiring quote from your 9 year old. Playing for the Patriots is a dream for a kid that age, the ultimate achievement. It's great that even though his life was too short, he achieved something millions can only dream of.

RIP Marquise Hill.

RIP, Marquise. Sincere condolences to his family and friends at this terrible time, if you ever read this.

My thoughts to his family and the pats fans. I´m a broncosfan, but that doesn´t stop me from mourning when a footballplayer dies. at this young age, he could have been for a lot more years in the league.

Its good to see other fans paying their repects!

Last edited:
http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/?title=Marquisehill20070528

45646_hillsuitstp05302007.jpg

Harsh lessons kept him on straight and narrow
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Marquise Hill learned at very young age to stay on the right path.

712619_hillmom.jpg

‘He was a champion human being’
Wednesday, May 30, 2007
Marquise Hill holds up a trophy and hugs his mother, Sherry Hill, in this photo from eighth grade.

Personally I find that an inspiring quote from your 9 year old. Playing for the Patriots is a dream for a kid that age, the ultimate achievement. It's great that even though his life was too short, he achieved something millions can only dream of.

RIP Marquise Hill.

You do realize he was speaking as a Colt's fan right?

From a Saints fan first and an LSU Tiger fan second, we're feeling your pain down here in NOLA. RIP big guy, Geaux Tigers. See y'all in the Super Bowl.

RIP Marquise. My prayers go out to your family and friends.

May his family find comfort in his life and yes may he rest in peace... Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back