Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/patriots/?p=110

August 8th, 2006
Georgia on their mind
Posted by Albert Breer at 4:58 pm

The Patriots just finished up a practice that can be best characterized as loud. Four enormous speakers perched on the far end of the field were turned way, way, way up, presumably to prepare the team to play inside the Georgia Dome on Friday night against Atlanta. And the music very well could’ve come from Bill Belichick’s iPod. Bon Jovi was prominent among the selections, with Bruce Springsteen, Rush, AC/DC, Guns ‘N Roses and Emerson, Lake & Palmer among the selections.

Chances are, you may already know that, since all this was probably audible all the way to Norwood.

Here’s what else could be seen, if not heard. …

– WRs John Stone and Chad Jackson, S Rodney Harrison, TEs Garrett Mills and Daniel Graham, LBs Tedy Bruschi and Chad Brown, and DEs Richard Seymour, Marquise Hill and Jarvis Green all missed the workout. Seymour, Harrison and Graham, you’ll remember, all returned yesterday and practiced this morning, so giving them this one off may simply be a matter of easing them back into the routine.

– TE Ben Watson and WR Troy Brown both returned after missing the morning session.

– The team did a lot of work with aggressive, attacking fronts, which seemed to be giving the offense a look at what Atlanta will show them — a one-gapping, zone-blitzing system.

– Tomorrow’s practices are slated for 8:45 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. and we’ll be back with updates.

http://www.beloblog.com/ProJo_Blogs/PatsBlog/

August 8, 2006
Play of the day

The Patriots wrapped up today's afternoon session by running two-minute drills with the first- and second-team offenses and defenses. Loud music subbed for crowd noise.

The first-team offense was efficient, and Tom Brady connected on the play of the day when he threw about 30 yards downfield to Benjamin Watson, who made a terrific catch in double coverage. Brady followed by hitting Reche Caldwell on a fade route at the sidelines. Operating in the red zone, Brady showed some of his trademark fire, barking at linebacker Don Davis for, in Brady's view, holding Kevin Faulk on an underneath pass that fell incomplete.

Matt Cassel had less success. He struggled to move the second team (although his receivers didn't help) until throwing an interception to Willie Andrews on a deflected pass.

The Pats will return to the practice field at Foxboro tomorrow, for sessions starting at 8:45 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. Joe McDonald will be here to blog, so check back often. Shalize Manza-Young will have coverage in tomorrow's Providence Journal. That's all for today.

Posted by Mike McDermott at 4:45 PM

Last edited:
– Seymour, Harrison and Graham, you’ll remember, all returned yesterday and practiced this morning, so giving them this one off may simply be a matter of easing them back into the routine.

I think that Breer is right about that. Mills didn't practice either and he had his first practice this morning. I will be surprised if we see any of these guys on the field Friday night, anyway.

DefenseRules said:
I think that Breer is right about that. Mills didn't practice either and he had his first practice this morning. I will be surprised if we see any of these guys on the field Friday night, anyway.

Agreed. There's probably a 99.9% chance that Rodney doesn't play Friday night, and only a bit less for the rest of the former-PUPies, plus Graham and Mills.

Last edited:
I realize you had to go to the second page of Breer's blog and read the morning practice notes, but you missed one of the more hopeful signs...

– Rookie Ryan O’Callaghan continues to get a lot of work with the first team at right tackle, while, more and more, Brandon Gorin’s with the 2s

Box_O_Rocks said:
I realize you had to go to the second page of Breer's blog and read the morning practice notes, but you missed one of the more hopeful signs...

Hallelujah. Good riddance, really. I'm definitely not part of the Gorin fan club.

I'm sure Kaczur, upon his return, will unseat O'Callaghan though.

Looking forward to Friday!

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:

Totally missed that! As you know, I've been oddly obsessed with the RT battle. I really, really, REALLY want to see one of the youngsters beat out Gorin. If O'C lives up to his billing as a road grader, with our shiny pair of running backs...ahh.

Official Pats/Dolphins Discussion

sometimes I'm kinda scared by BB's taste in music.

Hoodie said:
sometimes I'm kinda scared by BB's taste in music.

Not to question the hooded ones judgement, but wouldn't it be better to play crowd noise through the loudspeakers instead of music. I don't know maybe even a few personal insults thrown in that noise. Just to make it more realistic.
Because that is what is what they will be facing Friday night. Not Bon Jovi and Springsteen.

I'm just saying.

pats1 said:
Hallelujah. Good riddance, really. I'm definitely not part of the Gorin fan club.

Looking forward to Friday!

Amen, and Hallelujah.
The day that "Let 'em In" Gorin is released, will be a good day for all of us who appreciate good OL play.

Last edited:
pats1 said:

It strikes me that the days when the OL roster looked like "Dante's School for Wayward Linemen" is long, long, gone. You could field a complete line from draft choices of the past three years:

Kaczur -- Mankins -- Koppen -- Stevenson -- O'Callaghan

Box_O_Rocks said:

I just got KC Joyner's Scientific Football: 2006 and in it he said "Gorin can't run block worth a darn" and predicted that Kaczur will start in his place.

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:
I just got KC Joyner's Scientific Football: 2006 and in it he said "Gorin can't run block worth a darn" and predicted that Kaczur will start in his place.

Joyner's Gorin observation shows that anyone can claim to be a football expert. Gorin is a ok run blocker, especially once he gets going downhill and uses his massive frame. He did a good job the latter half of 2004 (during the AFC championship they ran a lot to the right). Gorin's weakness is pass blocking, where he shows how stiff he is.

patchick said:
It strikes me that the days when the OL roster looked like "Dante's School for Wayward Linemen" is long, long, gone. You could field a complete line from draft choices of the past three years:

Kaczur -- Mankins -- Koppen -- Stevenson -- O'Callaghan

I'm really interested in Stevenson. I thought Notre Dame's offensive line was the key to their offense last year. They gave Quinn plenty of time, and allowed the long drives that Charie loves. Also kept ND's bad defense off the field.

Box_O_Rocks said:

I've had hopes for O'Callaghan since that picture of him in his hunting attire..

Ichiro said:
Joyner's Gorin observation shows that anyone can claim to be a football expert. Gorin is a ok run blocker, especially once he gets going downhill and uses his massive frame. He did a good job the latter half of 2004 (during the AFC championship they ran a lot to the right). Gorin's weakness is pass blocking, where he shows how stiff he is.

Gorin is, indeed, a better run blocker than pass blocker. That does not mean, however, that he is a good, or even ok, run blocker. All it means is that his run blocking sucks somewhat less than his pass blocking. We are damning with faint praise, really.

captain stone said:
Gorin is, indeed, a better run blocker than pass blocker. That does not mean, however, that he is a good, or even ok, run blocker. All it means is that his run blocking sucks somewhat less than his pass blocking. We are damning with faint praise, really.

Oh yeah I'm definetly not saying I think Gorin is the answer or his run blocking is good. I'm just saying its strange that Joyner would mention Gorin's run blocking when his pass blocking is not NFL caliber.

Ichiro said:
Oh yeah I'm definetly not saying I think Gorin is the answer or his run blocking is good. I'm just saying its strange that Joyner would mention Gorin's run blocking when his pass blocking is not NFL caliber.

Maybe he just assumes that everyone knows about his pass blocking...
Or, perhaps more likely, that he was analyzing run blocking in general?

captain stone said:
Maybe he just assumes that everyone knows about his pass blocking...
Or, perhaps more likely, that he was analyzing run blocking in general?

I have Joyner's book and later, in a new thread, I'll post word for word what his film studies reveal.

Some of what he has written about the Pats was suprising and sure to initaite response in the board.

Last edited:
Brady-To-Branch said:
I have Joyner's book and later, in a new thread, I'll post word for word what his film studies reveal.

Some of what he has written about the Pats was suprising and sure to initaite response in the board.

Looking forward to it, B-T-B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back