PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about something they showed during the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgm79

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Last night they showed a booth with cameras filming down towards the field while Madden was talking about camera gate. I missed what that was about, did he say its legal to film the other teams signal callers from up there?

I'm sure it is. Isn't it only illegal to do it on the field?

Last night they showed a booth with cameras filming down towards the field while Madden was talking about camera gate. I missed what that was about, did he say its legal to film the other teams signal callers from up there?

Yes, it was legal. I think they showed two cameras up in the booth, both legal. Then, they showed a camera (illegally placed for show) behind the Patriots bench, which they said was illegal. It wasn't until I watched this that I understood where the illegal camera was located. All week long, reading posts, watching ESPN, reading newspaper accounts, I thought that the Patriots camerman was positioned on the other side of the field (on the Jets side). So, this whole incident is not about filming defensive signals, but where the camera was located? Someone help me out on this.

Well, they have to get "game" film somehow. Otherwise coaches have nothing to study. I'm sure what they were showing was the "sanctioned" place to film the whole game from.

I didn't see it, so I'm not sure what they showed, but I would assume that is where the game film comes frm.

There isn't anything during a football game that you CANNOT tape. There are only places (the field) where you cannot tape ANYTHING from. Doesn't matter what you are taping, you cannot do it from the field but you can do it from those positions they showed. Those positions are "legal" taping positions.

They were showing the locations that teams are allowed to have cameras stationed at - the 50 yard line, and the endzone cameras. It went along with commentary on how you can't have on-field cameras.

There isn't anything during a football game that you CANNOT tape. There are only places (the field) where you cannot tape ANYTHING from. Doesn't matter what you are taping, you cannot do it from the field but you can do it from those positions they showed. Those positions are "legal" taping positions.

Ok...........now, why was there so much talk from the experts all week long on every football mediam on the advantages of stealing signals. Are we saying the camera from the box can not get the correct angle to steal signals.

The zoom in of BB taking NOTES on the Black and White still printout cannot possibly be legal

Ok...........now, why was there so much talk from the experts all week long on every football mediam on the advantages of stealing signals. Are we saying the camera from the box can not get the correct angle to steal signals.

Nope, thats it. You can film anything you want from those locations, as far as I understand it (IANAL). It was all about positioning of the camera. Which is why A) the mediots have their analysis all wrong and B) the penalty was way too steep.

Yes, it was legal. I think they showed two cameras up in the booth, both legal. Then, they showed a camera (illegally placed for show) behind the Patriots bench, which they said was illegal. It wasn't until I watched this that I understood where the illegal camera was located. All week long, reading posts, watching ESPN, reading newspaper accounts, I thought that the Patriots camerman was positioned on the other side of the field (on the Jets side). So, this whole incident is not about filming defensive signals, but where the camera was located? Someone help me out on this.

Now you 've caught on ot what this is all about. Using a video camera in the wrong location. That is the entire issue beginning, middle and end....

It isn't even in the Rule Book. It violates a rule in the companion specifications and rules for staging a football contest. That document says how the security will be deployed, what the field pases will be to get on the field, what color the network and Sabol's film people must wear, how many security rent-a-cops must be available, the provisions for medical teams, ambulances, and doctors, and how many urinals and water closets you must have.

Did anyone check to see if the Pats had one too few or one too many rent-a-cops? Were the urinals up to spec? Any violation could take away another first round pick...

BIG Effin DEAL !!

Bingo! Bingo! we have a winner!!! (someone put a cream pie on scout's chair)

The zoom in of BB taking NOTES on the Black and White still printout cannot possibly be legal

Ha, I said the same thing. Forget spy cameras. Just have an employee on a cell phone watching the national broadcast of the damn game.

Bingo! Bingo! we have a winner!!! (someone put a cream pie on scout's chair)

Hey Rook, give me a freakin' break. The media has been broadcasting all week long about the Patriots putting a camera on the Jets sideline. Now, you tell me what does that sound like to you.

Costas asked Goodell directly about this issue. He even said, with all the high technology around today, you can have someone with high powered binoculars in the stands video recording the signals.

Goodell's answer: Yes, but this wasn't high technology. It was a camera in plain view on the sidelines.

That one answer more than anything explains how hypocritical the NFL is. The only thing they care about is PR. This league has no substance. And they are playing all the other fans for complete dummies.

There was another shot that showed clearly (at least on HD) the letterings (signals?) on the wrist band of a Bolts defender. Some were typed in red and others in black. I am amazed to see it and thought with adequte zoom, anyone clearly make out everything typed. Wonder if this will make us 'zoom' cheaters? :rolleyes:

I'd like to be wrong, but I assume that you aren't allowed to tape defensive signals from these cameras. These tapes are shared league-wide, so there are probably such rules.

Of course it's pathetic that no one in the media cares enough about truth to ask this question.

Now you 've caught on ot what this is all about. Using a video camera in the wrong location. That is the entire issue beginning, middle and end....

Point blank.

Sorry AzPatsFan, couldn't resist.

That's what many of us have been so ticked off about. They made a big deal out of virtually nothing. The average football fan and almost the entire media just really have no clue and little to no common sense with regards to an issue such as this.

The thought of using a simple video camera to "steal signals" to any logical person is downright laughable if not idiotic. BB has been labeled a football genius for a reason, the general public and media only see things on the surface. They see a coach taping another coach, all they can think of is signals. Either they can't logically deduce any other reason to tape a coach, their anti-patriot bias supersedes their ability to think, or their desire to draw attention overshadows the pursuit of facts.

BB, and every other coach, would have lip readers and guys with photographic memories in their vicinity before they use a LOW tech video camera to record signals (no live feed on that camera btw).

People need to get over their bias' or common sense / logical thinking needs to be a new subject in our school systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back