PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Is the Patriots pass rush better now than it was at the end of 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. what the verdict? Is the Patriots pass rush better now than it was at the end of 2012 or will it be better this season?

I believe it will be better if some of the following happen:

1. Kelly/Armstead give PATS better interior penetration than last year.
2. Jones is stronger and able to better get off blocks.
3. Wilson and Collins help PATS cover TE's better.
4. the secondary Unit develops better synergy because
of new talent, vet experience and better communication.

If PATS still allow 250+ average passing yds /game I won't
consider it much improved.

What is interesting is that Chris Price focuses less on the defensive front seven to answer this question, and more on the complimentary parts of the game that effect the pass rush.

Specifically his first point is how the Pats offense can help out by jumping out to a lead and causing the opponent to be more predictable in their play calling because they are playing from behind - though the counterpoint to that is that this is exactly what has happened many times the last few years, and the Pats defense has often not been able to take advantage of the situation.

His last point about the addition of Aqib Talib is worth noting as well.

Aqib Talib -- Ultimately, no one preaches team defense like the Patriots, and the success of the unit always will rise and fall on the performance of all 11 individuals, across the board. But as we noted several times down the stretch last season, by any metric you want to use (passing yards allowed, points allowed, pressure on the quarterback), the stats improved when Talib was on the field, not so much because he was an elite corner, but because he allowed the Patriots to do things they couldn’t before he arrived. To that end, if the Patriots are able to keep Talib healthy and consistently keep the same secondary on the field -- the one that made tremendous leaps forward when they played significant minutes together as a group last season -- the same level of continuity that Ninkovich alluded to in regards to the pass rush should also come into play in the secondary, and ultimately have a positive effect on the New England pass rush in 2013.​

DE Chandler Jones a rising star, faster and getting stronger
LB Don'ta Hightower should increase productivity in year two
OLB/DE Rob Ninkovich is always very clutch and good for at least 8 sacks
OLB/DE Jamie Collins could be an explosive pass rusher
DE/possibly OLB Michael Buchanan may have been a hidden gem
DT Tommy Kelly can rush the passer
DT Armstead has good interior pass rush
DT/DE Justin Francis showed flashes last season
SS/OLB Adrian Wilson is a very good blitzing safety
DE Jake Bequette is ready for a rise?
DT's Grissom, Vellano, Forston and Cherrington are young, fast but how well are they in getting to the passer and creating interior pass rush?

But again, I'm looking at Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins and Michael Buchanon as at least two being potential stars.

DE Chandler Jones a rising star, faster and getting stronger
LB Don'ta Hightower should increase productivity in year two
OLB/DE Rob Ninkovich is always very clutch and good for at least 8 sacks
OLB/DE Jamie Collins could be an explosive pass rusher
DE/possibly OLB Michael Buchanan may have been a hidden gem
DT Tommy Kelly can rush the passer
DT Armstead has good interior pass rush
DT/DE Justin Francis showed flashes last season
SS/OLB Adrian Wilson is a very good blitzing safety
DE Jake Bequette is ready for a rise?
DT's Grissom, Vellano, Forston and Cherrington are young, fast but how well are they in getting to the passer and creating interior pass rush?

But again, I'm looking at Chandler Jones, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins and Michael Buchanon as at least two being potential stars.

I think Francis and Bequette are the real wildcards. Francis showed a lot when he got a chance to play, and Bequette needs to show a lot in the preseason or its back to Arkansas for him. They SHOULD be ahead of the rookies (Collins, Buchanon, etc). I'm excited about Collins and Buchanon as well (Armstead too).

In addition, they didn’t push all their chips to the middle of the table on one of the elite pass-rushers who were available in this year’s draft.

Yes, because there were definitely elite pass rushing prospects available at 29 and 52:rolleyes:

Apart from maybe Margus Hunt or Tank Carradine, Jamie Collins was the closest thing to a pass rusher available from pick 29 onwards. Not sure why drafting him represents "choosing not to take the best available pass rusher".

the best reason why the pats pass rush will be better in 2013 is that it can't get any worse....

Jones will be better and interior pressure will be better and hightower and collins will add to the pass rush from the LB's so yes it will improve

I was just going to say something similar to what jmt57 said, in terms of the units meshing together to compliment each other.

The secondary is much deeper, and they have more of a chance to play more effective man coverage. That should allow more blitzes and pressure.

I am concerned about the state of the D line as a whole, but I do think that the pressure will be better this year than last year from the front 7 themselves, including the progression of our two first rounders last year + Collins this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST