PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Price: Camp countdown - RB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Laurence Maroney the single most polarizing guy on the team? NO ONE is lukewarm on him -- he's either the guy who'll be the greatest RB in team history of he only got a chance or the worst pick in franchise history.

Hey, I'm stalwartly lukewarm! :p I think Maroney looks like a valuable piece of a deep RB roster, but will never be a star.

I think the bashing is all due to his draft status. If he'd been a 3rd-round pick, everyone would be pretty pleased with the "find." Just listen to the loudest anti-Maroney cheerleader:

I would say there is a trifecta an axis of evil if you would,Watson,Maroney,Seymour. My beef with all three is production < expectations.

See? It's not about whether the players add value to the team, it's about whether they let you down by not living up to your personal expectations. By that approach, Green-Ellis is better than Maroney -- even though Maroney is clearly the more dangerous weapon on the field -- because BJGE exceeded (super-low) expectations while Maroney didn't meet (super-high) expectations. I don't suspect BB is prone to this particular fallacy, though.

And I have a question for the patsfans.com crew: Is Laurence Maroney the single most polarizing guy on the team? NO ONE is lukewarm on him -- he's either the guy who'll be the greatest RB in team history of he only got a chance or the worst pick in franchise history.

That's the way it is for 1st round RBs.

Hey, at least he's better than Reggie "One Yard" Dupard. :D

Hey, I'm stalwartly lukewarm! :p I think Maroney looks like a valuable piece of a deep RB roster, but will never be a star.

I think the bashing is all due to his draft status. If he'd been a 3rd-round pick, everyone would be pretty pleased with the "find." Just listen to the loudest anti-Maroney cheerleader:

See? It's not about whether the players add value to the team, it's about whether they let you down by not living up to your personal expectations. By that approach, Green-Ellis is better than Maroney -- even though Maroney is clearly the more dangerous weapon on the field -- because BJGE exceeded (super-low) expectations while Maroney didn't meet (super-high) expectations. I don't suspect BB is prone to this particular fallacy, though.
But its not just my personal expectations its a mid first rounder with very little real production that hurts my team its not good to bust on such a high pick

But its not just my personal expectations its a mid first rounder with very little real production that hurts my team its not good to bust on such a high pick

And because he was a poor draft value the team should cut him in favor of a weaker player? That's the fallacy.

I just hope Fred Taylor isn't this years John Lynch...but if he still has something left in the tank I will be expecting big things from this running game during the season...

I'm coming to really hate that guy. He should go back to school and study the limits of statistical analysis.

I'm sorry, but not everything is quantifiable and small samples, bias, weighting, style of offense, strategy, whether you're ahead or behind etc.etc.etc. throw these type of general statistics so far off, they aren't even worth compiling.

Another huge thread was based on the fact that Seymour's side of the field allowed only 2.8 per carry. took me 5 minutes to find a former all pro year when Seymour also had 8 sacks and his side of the field allowed over 5 yards a carry.

Sorry for the rant, but just compiling data does not mean anything has been proved.

Stats like this are for coaches who can interpret if they have any real applicability.

Seriously, have they ever had this much depth/talent in the backfield? Lawfirm will probably be the odd man out. This is one year where I wont worry about injuries, unless they all go down :eek: lets hope not.

Ha do not speak too soon man, I said the same thing last year. Right before Maroney, Morris, and Jordan were all injured for a few weeks.

I see the argument about Maroney not being a traditional between the tackles RB, but for purposes of my classification, I'd put him closer to that group that the third-down backs or fullbacks. So I tossed him in there by default.

And I have a question for the patsfans.com crew: Is Laurence Maroney the single most polarizing guy on the team? NO ONE is lukewarm on him -- he's either the guy who'll be the greatest RB in team history of he only got a chance or the worst pick in franchise history.

Maroney is a big powerful runner, but he has a stand up style and is much better in the open field (so far). He reminds me of Eric ****erson in that regard. The comparison to Dillon, a great downhill runner who is quick to the hole, hurt him.

The zone blocking is supposed to help, but i don't think he's been healthy often enough to get that down. The guys really young and has had serious injuries. he's loaded with talent and has put the numbers up even as he's struggled to hit the hole well.

People are nuts to give up on him IMO. Maybe he is cursed, but his upside is greatness, not average.

I really liked Jordan. Reminded me of Dillon. But Fred will do enough...lots of depth at RB.

Last edited:
And because he was a poor draft value the team should cut him in favor of a weaker player? That's the fallacy.
His draft value is not why they should cut him its why I resent him. I see morris and Taylor as better options, I wouldnt cut Maroney I would try to trade him along with Watson and Seymour, Its real value versus perceived value. I dont think Seymour tries hard esp.after his big contract he held the Pats hostage on. I think Maroney was named the Kool Aid man because he is like a glass pitcher.
And I think to put it impolitely Watson is a born @#$% up. I just dont want those players on my team. Cut em, Trade em,Kick em, @#$% em, I dont care what you do with them. Also I never want to see Mathew Slater anywhere near my team again.

Let me rant just a little more here. If Maroney was the Kool Aid man I believe the wall would fall on him before he ran threw it. I am a huge Pats fan. I also hated Marion Butts and One Yard Dupard. Maroney is a net loss when he steps on the field so cutting him in favor of any other running back would be preferable. I was a big fan of his rookie year, but its been downhill ever since. Off with his head!

Let me rant just a little more here. If Maroney was the Kool Aid man I believe the wall would fall on him before he ran threw it. I am a huge Pats fan. I also hated Marion Butts and One Yard Dupard. Maroney is a net loss when he steps on the field so cutting him in favor of any other running back would be preferable. I was a big fan of his rookie year, but its been downhill ever since. Off with his head!

Knock yourself out. I, for one, get a laugh out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft