PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pressure won't effect Rivers ... Ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If I were Chargers I'd be worried about Rivers.

The weeks 15 and 16 of the season Chargers could still lose
1st round bye. I think there was pressure to win those games.
If Indy didn't lose their Houston game and Chargers lost 2 of last
3 ... no bye. So there was pressure.

Weeks 15 and 16 Chargers played Hawks and Chiefs ... here are the
results for Rivers in those two games
team---att--comp--RT----Ints
Hawks--30--- 10-- 77.2 --0
Chiefs--23-----8-- 12.4 --2

Now this just might be a fluke but if he plays like this it will be a long
day for the Chargers.

Brady on the other hand has been peaking going into the playoffs
and is known to raise his performance level under pressure.

If I were Chargers I'd be worried about Rivers.

The weeks 15 and 16 of the season Chargers could still lose
1st round bye. I think there was pressure to win those games.
If Indy didn't lose their Houston game and Chargers lost 2 of last
3 ... no bye. So there was pressure.

Weeks 15 and 16 Chargers played Hawks and Chiefs ... here are the
results for Rivers in those two games
team---att--comp--RT----Ints
Hawks--30--- 10-- 77.2 --0
Chiefs--23-----8-- 12.4 --2

Now this just might be a fluke but if he plays like this it will be a long
day for the Chargers.

Brady on the other hand has been peaking going into the playoffs
and is known to raise his performance level under pressure.

WOW. Finally... something new to talk about... Rivers and his lack of experience/poor performance vs. Brady and his ability to clutch up.

Nice work! Keep it comin'... :rolleyes:

if I'm the Pats, I'm more worried about the fact that DESPITE Rivers 2 worst games of the season the Chargers STILL won both games vs playoff teams.

Rivers may struggle on Sunday, he may not. I don't really know. The point is that even if he does that doesn't guarantee victory for the Pats.

Last edited:
if I'm the Pats, I'm more worried about the fact that DESPITE Rivers 2 worst games of the season the Chargers STILL won both games vs playoff teams.

Rivers may struggle on Sunday, he may not. I don't really know. The point is that even if he does that doesn't guarantee victory for the Pats.

Thats the key though somewhat. If we can slow down LT and make Rivers beat us we might have an advantage.

If you think that the fact that KC snuck in and Seattle was lucky enough to win a division by default that those wins were over "playoff teams" you hae another thing coming.

If Rivers has a game like either of those NE will win by at least 10 points.

That said, I don't think he will. I think he is a gamer and he will do pretty well. But will NE be able to set traps for him and get a key int or two, that is the question.

If you think that the fact that KC snuck in and Seattle was lucky enough to win a division by default that those wins were over "playoff teams" you hae another thing coming.

If Rivers has a game like either of those NE will win by at least 10 points.

That said, I don't think he will. I think he is a gamer and he will do pretty well. But will NE be able to set traps for him and get a key int or two, that is the question.

You know i find it interesting all the pats fans dwell on Rivers lack of experience and marty's playoff record. Yet none of them talk about LT. Funny. The MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, Most all purpose yards. Rushing Leader, New most TD's in a season record holder. New most points in a season record holder. Yet you all don't talk about him. Good. Because ya know what? He's gonna tear you guys up.

Let also talk about last weeks game. For the most part I saw a WEAK armed Pennington move the ball against your VAUNTED D until late when he was forced to throw exposing that weak noodle arm he has. I can't wait till you see your S L O W LB's exposed with Gates wide open over the middle.

I love how everyone acts like the game of football morphs into some completely different sport in the playoffs.

If Tom Brady was able to handle it in '01 why not Rivers? The signs are there that Rivers has some very Brady-ish qualities. Or do you guys really think that TB is the only one who can handle playoff pressure after two years on the bench and one year as a starter?

Thats the key though somewhat. If we can slow down LT and make Rivers beat us we might have an advantage.
i don't want to state the obvious but

anytime you're able to shut down LT you automatcially have the advantage, it's one of those things that goes without saying.

if you can shut down LT, it's a major accomplishment for your defense.

You know i find it interesting all the pats fans dwell on Rivers lack of experience and marty's playoff record. Yet none of them talk about LT. Funny. The MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, Most all purpose yards. Rushing Leader, New most TD's in a season record holder. New most points in a season record holder. Yet you all don't talk about him. Good. Because ya know what? He's gonna tear you guys up.

Let also talk about last weeks game. For the most part I saw a WEAK armed Pennington move the ball against your VAUNTED D until late when he was forced to throw exposing that weak noodle arm he has. I can't wait till you see your S L O W LB's exposed with Gates wide open over the middle.

But don't you see. It's just a given that LT will be shut down by the mind of Bill Belichick. There's no reason to even question that. He's 7-2 vs. League MVPs. So clearly, this game rests on Philip Rivers' shoulders. :rolleyes:

What in my post led you to believe that I don't think highly of LDT, or Rivers for that matter?

Settle down and read the post please. LDT will likely go over 100 yards with at least one TD. I have never said anything different. All that I contested was the use of "playoff team" when the teams were actually as close to what they will face this week as their matchup with Arizona was.

But don't you see. It's just a given that LT will be shut down by the mind of Bill Belichick. There's no reason to even question that. He's 7-2 vs. League MVPs. So clearly, this game rests on Philip Rivers' shoulders. :rolleyes:

Do you really think that the game will be won with Rivers having to make at least 10 key plays?

C'mon guys.

You mock but yet you haven't responding with anything though provoking yet.

Interesting info on Rivers late in games;

"Numbers show that Rivers excels when his team needs him the most. There are individual examples, such as his game-winning touchdown pass to Vincent Jackson in Week 16 at Seattle or the poise and precision he played with during comeback wins at Cincinnati and Denver. The telling number is his fourth quarter passer rating of 116.6, which is the best in the NFL this season.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/teammates-expect-ready.htm

Probably does'nt mean much seeing as how BB will shred the pup but Hey, since we're throwing stats around....

Interesting info on Rivers late in games;

"Numbers show that Rivers excels when his team needs him the most. There are individual examples, such as his game-winning touchdown pass to Vincent Jackson in Week 16 at Seattle or the poise and precision he played with during comeback wins at Cincinnati and Denver. The telling number is his fourth quarter passer rating of 116.6, which is the best in the NFL this season.

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/teammates-expect-ready.htm

Probably does'nt mean much seeing as how BB will shred the pup but Hey, since we're throwing stats around....

Again, why are Chargers fans coming so hard with the hyperbole? I'm sure that you don't have to look hard to find someone on this site talk about BB "shredding" Rivers. It is a Pats site afterall.

But is it really that far out of the realm of possibility that SD may have to convert a couple 3rd and 4 plusses per drive? Is it really that impossible to fathom that NE (which is absolutely one of the most prepared teams in the league) might have a decent sense of what the Chargers will want to do and thus, halt a few drives?

NE doesn't have to make Rivers look like a wide eyed pup to win this game. They just need Rivers to miss a play here and there to keep drives from ending in TDs.

Is that really so hard to fathom?

No hyperbole sport, just an interesting stat that may indicate you are wrong about Rivers, but hey you dont want to respond to that, fine, piss in the wind brah!

Again, why are Chargers fans coming so hard with the hyperbole? I'm sure that you don't have to look hard to find someone on this site talk about BB "shredding" Rivers. It is a Pats site afterall.

But is it really that far out of the realm of possibility that SD may have to convert a couple 3rd and 4 plusses per drive? Is it really that impossible to fathom that NE (which is absolutely one of the most prepared teams in the league) might have a decent sense of what the Chargers will want to do and thus, halt a few drives?

NE doesn't have to make Rivers look like a wide eyed pup to win this game. They just need Rivers to miss a play here and there to keep drives from ending in TDs.

I get your point. I do think Rivers will have to make at least 10 key plays in order for the Chargers to win. Even if LT gets 150yds it won't mean that Rivers can just kneel on the ball or spike it every play in order to avoid turnovers and sacks. Rivers will have to do all of the things good QBs do to move the ball in the passing game: Correct line checks, not throwing the ball late over the middle or outside, not holding the ball too long and taking sacks, hitting receivers in tight spaces, hitting the long ball when it's there.

I think he'll do it because he's done it all year when it mattered most.

And this thread was started by a Pats fan. Seems to me the consensus is simply that LT will absolutely be held in check and that Rivers will succumb to the brilliance of Belichick.

So it's not a bad thing to support the opposite view of that. It's boring to rah rah on your own board. At least for me. I like this kinda' banter.

I get your point. I do think Rivers will have to make at least 10 key plays in order for the Chargers to win. Even if LT gets 150yds it won't mean that Rivers can just kneel on the ball or spike it every play in order to avoid turnovers and sacks. Rivers will have to do all of the things good QBs do to move the ball in the passing game: Correct line checks, not throwing the ball late over the middle or outside, not holding the ball too long and taking sacks, hitting receivers in tight spaces, hitting the long ball when it's there.

I think he'll do it because he's done it all year when it mattered most.

And this thread was started by a Pats fan. Seems to me the consensus is simply that LT will absolutely be held in check and that Rivers will succumb to the brilliance of Belichick.

So it's not a bad thing to support the opposite view of that. It's boring to rah rah on your own board. At least for me. I like this kinda' banter.

I will admit that some of my bretheren are a little brash with their predictions.

As far as LDT, if by "held in check" you mean "120 yards and 1 TD" then yes, I think he can be held in check. If held in check means 36 yards on 32 carries than I would side with SD fans.

I also don't expect a first half meltdown like Ben R had a few years ago. He was playing terribly at the time and NE had already faced him once. Rivers is playing much better than Ben was (although his play has been slipping) and NE hasn't faced him yet.

That said, I am confident going into this game that Rivers will have to make at least 2 third down or 2nd and long passes per drive and that NE will at least cause a handful of those passes hit the turf.

Will it be enough? If I knew I certianly wouldn't be telling you guys. :p

I will admit that some of my bretheren are a little brash with their predictions.

As far as LDT, if by "held in check" you mean "120 yards and 1 TD" then yes, I think he can be held in check. If held in check means 36 yards on 32 carries than I would side with SD fans.

I also don't expect a first half meltdown like Ben R had a few years ago. He was playing terribly at the time and NE had already faced him once. Rivers is playing much better than Ben was (although his play has been slipping) and NE hasn't faced him yet.

That said, I am confident going into this game that Rivers will have to make at least 2 third down or 2nd and long passes per drive and that NE will at least cause a handful of those passes hit the turf.

Will it be enough? If I knew I certianly wouldn't be telling you guys. :p

If all LT gets is 36 yards... we're done. Rivers won't have a prayer... hell... Jesus himself wouldn't beat the patriots on a day like that. (how's that for blasphemy?):eek:

From what I've seen most Charger fans' understanding of the game is not very nuanced. It's more like "LT is the MVP and he's gonna run all over you," or "Merriman is ganna crush Brady." These guys don't understand matchups, they don't look at meaningful statistics.... They view the game through the simplistic lens of mainstream media coverage.

Brady is highly overrated. He's had the luxury of good staff and coaching around him. Take those away and he's nothing. Put pressure on him and he folds and throws temper tantrums towards his own team.

Brady is highly overrated. He's had the luxury of good staff and coaching around him. Take those away and he's nothing. Put pressure on him and he folds and throws temper tantrums towards his own team.

classy post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents