PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction thread for the Pats FIRST move after the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did someone get the figure of 120 million? Just read that there is talk it will go to 140..

Until we know that, we really don't have any idea what the Pats can spend.

We need to keep Mankins but not at the rumors of LT money.. Sorry, he's not J Hanna

The FO should have all the #'s of the agent's of teh players they want to bring in.. As soon as 12:00 am hits, you call everyone at once.. Everyone's been sitting on their hands for months now.. Time to work for that paycheck :)
There is one person out there that thinks the new cap will actually be less than $120 million.

Patriots should be well under cap when lockout ends

The owners' last proposal before the lockout began proposed a 2011 salary cap of $114 million per team.

Since that fateful day in March, the number has no doubt risen and the manner in which the cap will be calculated has as well.

Best guess? If the players are getting 48 percent of $9.3 billion, the cap will be around $115 million per team.

How do the Patriots project to stack up against that as of right now? We would not be able to tell you without the indispensable resource that is Miguel. Miguel Benzan, a resource for Patriots fans and media alike compiles the salary and bonus info for the Patriots on Patsfans.com. He has a disclaimer on the page that clearly states the info provided is done so to the best of his knowledge and the reports we in the media present on contract particulars.

With that out of the way, I added up the projected 2011 cap hits for the Patriots and - including Logan Mankins' franchise tender and workout bonus dough of $10,518,120 - the Patriots are at $98,699,105.

Now, will players get credit for workout bonuses in 2011? Doubtful. So you might be able to lop a couple million off the projected figure. And you have to allow for restructures or releases (Nick Kaczur at $4.383? Ohhh, I don't think so).

Cutting to the chase, it would appear - from these very approximate figures - that the Patriots will be about $18 to $20 million under the cap when the lockout ends.

What's up with the infatuation with Herzlich? He's 20 pounds too light and not nearly a good enough pass rusher to play OLB, he's not big or strong enough to play SILB, he's far too slow (and not beating out Mayo) to play WILB, and he's not going to beat out Guyton for a subpackage role.

Hey guys Sal Paolantonio just said on ESPN that according to John Clayton the 2011 salary cap will be 120 million.

Link:

John Clayton reports salary cap will be $120 million for 2011, plus $21 million in benefits per club

Twitter

Is this good/bad/indifferent?

Last edited:
I would think this is good because I saw it being around $115 mil earlier

Hey guys Sal Paolantonio just said on ESPN that according to John Clayton the 2011 salary cap will be 120 million. So how far will the Pats be under the cap?

Right around $6, according to Miguel

Last edited:
Man, 6 bucks under doesn't give Pats much moolah to spend ;)
They can free up a lot if they wish. But 6 mill under with all the players that are signed is probably among the top few cap situations in the league.
I think all these recently minted FAs are going to be in for a big surprise when they start realizing how little cap room there is out there compared to the players out there and what they expect to be paid.
The skyrocketing contract over the last 3-4 years were managed pretty easily under the rising and nonexistent caps, but they will make things tight this season, IMO

Ok I'm in a good mood, where do the Jets stand? :D

IIRC, the Jets have a bit less cap room than we do, with about half a roster signed.

Sign some UDFAs, cut Kaczur, and wait for the cap casualties to start piling up.

There are a couple of reasons why the Pats haven't won any SBs post-2004, and I think the most underestimated one of all might be that, over the past few years, teams haven't been cutting very many good players for cap reasons. The cap was rising quickly enough that even teams that planned poorly could afford to keep their guys.

Now, with this new, lower cap, we'll see some really good players get cut, I think. At the very least, a lot of teams will have no choice but to let some of their FAs walk, when in other years they would have had the space required to keep them. If we can get another Rodney Harrison-esque impact player out of this, then we're in great shape.

Last edited:
IIRC, the Jets have a bit less cap room than we do, with about half a roster signed.

Hmmm, think they let revis walk? Doesn't he have a weird deal with multiple options along the way and for obscene amounts of money no less?

Hmmm, think they let revis walk? Doesn't he have a weird deal with multiple options along the way and for obscene amounts of money no less?

Now THAT is not going to happen my friend...

Revis is the cornerstone that they will build their defense around for yrs to come, and rightfully so. Even more damning is the fact that they signed him under contract as of last yr.

Where they may/should fail somewhat is the potential to allow their FA's to walk due to their cap issues. This includes Cromartie, Brad Smith, Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jason Taylor (who likely wouldn't have been back anyway).

From what I understand, there are some other high-powered teams such as Pittsburgh and Indy who are pushed to the limit too, but that is not gospel word, and should be researched as such. The fact that it is 5:03 am is telling me that I really don't care enough at this moment.

Bottom line is that there's absolutely no way that Revis goes anywhere, at least for another 3-4 yrs.

I agree with Supa re: Revis...

Knowing the Jets are going to lose a couple of key contributors from last year warms the ****les of me heart...and should the Pats be able to grab one would even make it sweeter.. :)

My above ref to only having $6 was TIC......I know being $6 MIL under is alot better...and having that many players already under contract or tag leaves decent room to maneuver and sign FA's ..... BTW,is there a seperate rookie pool or is it part of the $120 Mil cap ?

Sign some UDFAs, cut Kaczur, and wait for the cap casualties to start piling up.

There are a couple of reasons why the Pats haven't won any SBs post-2004, and I think the most underestimated one of all might be that, over the past few years, teams haven't been cutting very many good players for cap reasons. The cap was rising quickly enough that even teams that planned poorly could afford to keep their guys.

Now, with this new, lower cap, we'll see some really good players get cut, I think. At the very least, a lot of teams will have no choice but to let some of their FAs walk, when in other years they would have had the space required to keep them. If we can get another Rodney Harrison-esque impact player out of this, then we're in great shape.

Very good point... and one i have not put that much thought into. Pats have always been very cap conscious and we have lefto urself with alot of room this year. I am hoping we take care of mankins 1st then as you said... wait for some cap casualties to come in and help. I personally wouldn't mind one of Holmes or Rice. But i don't think they are necesary. an OLB or DE would be very interesting to me.

There was an interesting question on ESPN of if harrison was cut would you want him (I said yes) but that question really brought it home to me that a harrison on the outside and i personally believe this team could not be stopped. I really think that was the hope for adalius, he just didn't work out as the beast we all hoped he would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News