PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Prediction thread for the Pats FIRST move after the new CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, it seems like there's a lot pointing to Mankins getting signed long term. The team and the coaches seem to think very highly of him (BB doing the interview for NFLN's top 100 of 2011, reinserting him into the lineup immediately upon the end of his holdout). If they're willing to pay him the franchise tag, I think they'll be willing to pay him the 7-8 million per year that his new contract would call for. A long term deal would also free up some cap space, and show the rest of the players in the league we're willing to be fair.

After that, I think we'll surprise and make a moderate splash in free agency. Not a massive, first-wave signing, but something that seems aggressive by our standards. Maybe a 7-8 million per year type contract. A "let's go win some Super Bowls" sort of move.

With over $113 mil already on the books and a projected cap of $120 the Pats won't be doing much after signing their draft picks.
Wouldn't it be better for the NFL to have a slightly higher cap and constrict it over a period of a few years to allow the teams to stay inside the salary cap given committed money already?

First the UDFA's must be aproached and signed. My choices Ugo Chinasa OLB, and Kris ODowd C. Second Sign Page and open negociations with Mankins and get the FT signed. Third sign our rookies and get them to report early before camp. Fourth check out possible FA signings that will come as a value. Fifth check out any possible trade possibilities, comeing and going.

With over $113 mil already on the books and a projected cap of $120 the Pats won't be doing much after signing their draft picks.

Those draft picks are going to knock other players off the roster though, so it's a negligible difference. Solder's cap hit will likely be around $3M, Dowling's around $1M, and the rest closer to $500k. So basically, we're looking at around $3M cap hit from the rookies after you account for the players they'll knock off the roster.

That $113 also includes Page, whose tender will not count, so it's closer to $111M before rookies, and then around $114M after rookies, with Kaczur the obvious (IMO) cut to get back down to $111M. That still leaves $9M, which is plenty for a higher-end FA. I doubt it happens, but the opportunity will be there. If they want an expensive OLB, then TBC can be cut to save 1.9M. If they want a safety, then Sander is expendable with 2.5M savings.

Last edited:
win the super bowl....oh wait thats the jets.

Those draft picks are going to knock other players off the roster though, so it's a negligible difference. Solder's cap hit will likely be around $3M, Dowling's around $1M, and the rest closer to $500k. So basically, we're looking at around $3M cap hit from the rookies after you account for the players they'll knock off the roster.

That $113 also includes Page, whose tender will not count, so it's closer to $111M before rookies, and then around $114M after rookies, with Kaczur the obvious (IMO) cut to get back down to $111M. That still leaves $9M, which is plenty for a higher-end FA. I doubt it happens, but the opportunity will be there. If they want an expensive OLB, then TBC can be cut to save 1.9M. If they want a safety, then Sander is expendable with 2.5M savings.

There is no way two Safties will be cut. If they cut Kaczur then they have to sign two more OT's to replace veterans like Light and Kaczur. If the rookies are signed with the lowest making $500,000 they will be pushing players making $400,000 off the list.

There is no way two Safties will be cut.
They're not cutting two. There's a 95% chance Page is a free agent, even though he is listed at $2M on Miguel's site. And I specifically said Sanders would only be cut if the Pats sign a different safety, like Weddle, Mikell, Landry, or Manning. Net change in number of safeties on the roster: 0.

If they cut Kaczur then they have to sign two more OT's to replace veterans like Light and Kaczur.
Ojinaka was the main backup last year, so why not the same this year? (He's unsigned, but would be cheap.) LeVoir is also on the roster, and we don't know how far along Maneri is. Kaczur's back worries me more than his play, which is why I think it's such a given that he's gone. The reports earlier this offseason sounded similar.

If the rookies are signed with the lowest making $500,000 they will be pushing players making $400,000 off the list.
Correct, hence the word "negligible." We don't even know the exact cap amount, so there's no point in worrying about difference of less than .1% of the projected cap amount.

Mankins Longterm would be GREAT, how can they get it done?

Mankins Longterm would be GREAT, how can they get it done?

That'd clear up at least $5M in cap room. Mankins is in the books for over $10M. Wilfork, in the first year of his $40M/5yrs deal had a cap hit of $4.6M, so a slightly lower deal ($30M/4yrs?) could lower his cap hit to the $4.5M range, if we assume a $14M or so signing bonus and minimal salary his first year.

Where did someone get the figure of 120 million? Just read that there is talk it will go to 140..

Until we know that, we really don't have any idea what the Pats can spend.

We need to keep Mankins but not at the rumors of LT money.. Sorry, he's not J Hanna

The FO should have all the #'s of the agent's of teh players they want to bring in.. As soon as 12:00 am hits, you call everyone at once.. Everyone's been sitting on their hands for months now.. Time to work for that paycheck :)

Where did someone get the figure of 120 million? Just read that there is talk it will go to 140..

Until we know that, we really don't have any idea what the Pats can spend.

$140M was the projected number for 2010 had there been one (it was 116M in 2008 and 128M in 2009), and they want it to come down. I haven't seen any reports of $140M lately.

FA's-decent ones too much money capwise-average ones, why someones else's jag?

Sign Mankins to a long term contract, along with Wes Welker. That takes care of the money.

To save some money trade Meriweather, TBC and Butler to Minnesota, who has those exact needs, for a second round draft pick (sounds fair to both sides). Meriweather did make 2 ProBowls in a row. The guys from PFW and I both agree you could plug Jared Paige in Meriweather's spot and you wouldn't skip a beat. I think we'd save $5M in cap. We release Kaczur, save another 3.

For UDFA's, if you're looking for a Center this year, Connolly's better than anyone that's left. We bring in Willie Smith G/T, E Carolina. Looks like he'd be a pretty good G. Zach Hurd OG, CT. He's got the feet to move outside and play Tackle (backup). Jarriel King, G/T, S Carolina. Another pretty good looking kid.

We've got Wendell and Ohrenberger that can't beat out Connolly, let's give these kids a try. If we're going to ship out a S, let's try to bring in Dunta Williams and Joe Lefeged (who's also a KR).

Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon. Needs to add some weight but was rated right there with Alan Bailey at a 5 technique by many observers. Finally, Keith Darbut, OLB, Baldwin Wallace, 6'4", 229, runs the 40 in 4.40. If he can't play LB right away, he could sure fly on special teams.

For those who want a Center, check out Mike Brewster, Ohio State, next year. Koppen's last year and Brewster's been compated to Mangold and we've got the picks to get him, we just have to jump ahead of the Giants.

To save some money trade Meriweather, TBC and Butler to Minnesota, who has those exact needs, for a second round draft pick (sounds fair to both sides). Meriweather did make 2 ProBowls in a row. The guys from PFW and I both agree you could plug Jared Paige in Meriweather's spot and you wouldn't skip a beat. I think we'd save $5M in cap. We release Kaczur, save another 3.

When was the last time multiple players were ever traded for a single pick like this ever in NFL history? I do it all the time in Madden, but it's so unrealistic.

FA's-decent ones too much money capwise-average ones, why someones else's jag?

Sign Mankins to a long term contract, along with Wes Welker. That takes care of the money.

For UDFA's, if you're looking for a Center this year, Connolly's better than anyone that's left. We bring in Willie Smith G/T, E Carolina. Looks like he'd be a pretty good G. Zach Hurd OG, CT. He's got the feet to move outside and play Tackle (backup). Jarriel King, G/T, S Carolina. Another pretty good looking kid.

We've got Wendell and Ohrenberger that can't beat out Connolly, let's give these kids a try. If we're going to ship out a S, let's try to bring in Dunta Williams and Joe Lefeged (who's also a KR).

Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon. Needs to add some weight but was rated right there with Alan Bailey at a 5 technique by many observers. Finally, Keith Darbut, OLB, Baldwin Wallace, 6'4", 229, runs the 40 in 4.40. If he can't play LB right away, he could sure fly on special teams.

For those who want a Center, check out Mike Brewster, Ohio State, next year. Koppen's last year and Brewster's been compated to Mangold and we've got the picks to get him, we just have to jump ahead of the Giants.

I like your thinking in resigning Mankins and Welker, no doubt. I love the thinking in grabbing Mike Brewster next yr, and YES he is every bit what you'd want in a center, and the Mangold comparisons are true. At least Mangold at an Ohio State level anyway.

I am a but surprised at the thinking about the multiple players for a 2nd talk, at least all 3 of them anyway. First of all, I think that you still must remember that we're talking about a pro-bowl starter (pro-bowl used loosely, but still quite important), and 2 role players (even though they're not as good as we want). Meriweather, TBC, and Butler would give us a hit somewhat, although it can certainly be argued that one of TBC/Butler may actually even be cut too, although I personally don't think that's true, at least this yr.

Also remember that as much as Page has shown us (league wide, including KC), he is also an UFA now due to the change back in league rules involving FA's. We are not even sure that he will play here this year, it will depend on what Belichick assesses his value at, and whether or not he accepts that value.

I would hate to see BOTH Meriweather and Page gone this yr, in your example. I'd rather just allow Meriweather to likely leave after this yr anyway, as we all can agree that he is not the 'probowl' label player that he is perceived to be around the league. I'd rather just take a 3rd for him from a comp pick--he'll be at least worth a 4th, if not even a 3rd by himself. May as well just get that, + a whole other year from him on his deal.

Last edited:
anyone think Merriweather gets traded?

anyone think Merriweather gets traded?

Sure, no doubt. Certainly a possibility.

But when you figure that we can probably get a high comp pick when he leaves next yr anyway, a 3rd at best, and a 4th at worst---we should probably explore the option of just doing that and having him stay and contribute nicely for one more year at a reasonable price.

I personally don't think they'd get anything higher than a 3rd/4th right now anyway, and that's in a straight up trade. May as well just enjoy the fruits of his last year, and have the best of both worlds.

Sure, no doubt. Certainly a possibility.

But when you figure that we can probably get a high comp pick when he leaves next yr anyway, a 3rd at best, and a 4th at worst---we should probably explore the option of just doing that and having him stay and contribute nicely for one more year at a reasonable price.

I personally don't think they'd get anything higher than a 3rd/4th right now anyway, and that's in a straight up trade. May as well just enjoy the fruits of his last year, and have the best of both worlds.

has there been any whisper of what he might look for with the new contract?

has there been any whisper of what he might look for with the new contract?

I have not heard anything personally, although I would be interested in other poster's opinions on the matter. I do not believe that there has been any talks, whispers, or numbers from any party as of yet.

I am thinking somewhere between 6-7 per myself, but he could be thinking something a little higher. He may be thinking 7-8 per year, or something in that ballpark, I would imagine. Again, just a guess based on other deals, the current franchise number for that position etc.

I suppose that many of us are assuming he will definitely be gone due to his 'pro-bowl' label, but anything's possible. It's pretty obvious that Belichick sees value with him, as he certainly has played him in a high percentage of snaps. I wouldn't mind it at all if he stayed, given a fair price that BB agrees with.

I think Meriweather is currently a wildcard of sorts, and just about anything could happen from now through FA in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft