PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Predict week 6 Inactives: Gronk IN Collins OUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
With new shuffles of the roster yesterday, a lengthy injury report and new roster moves coming up next week .. this is one of the most difficult and intriguing Inactive Lists to predict.

Two big questions - Gronk and Collins - seem to have the answer:

The other two pretty certain absentees are Bolden and Valentine.

So who else?

Here's the list of candidates: Bolden(I), Valentine(I), Collins (I), Cannon/Waddle, McClellin/Grissom, Coleman/Rowe/C Jones, Derby, Mitchell. (Underlined are my predictions.)

EDIT:
No need to rush Cannon in with Fleming's very solid play;

McClellin should be good re. concussion but he wasn't 100% beforehand so another week of rest could do him good .. but since Collins is reportedly out he might be needed for some depth. Still Grissom was probably signed to 53 for a reason (ST) so I guess they could go with only one starter and 3 relatively recent LB options High-Mingo-Roberts-Ninko;

The most intriguing is CB position: They left 2 CB's out of the game last week (Coleman and Rowe) but with more receiving powers of the Bengals and searching for that #3 CB I expect 5 to be active. Sure hope we can finally see Rowe. Maybe CJ should sit one to calm down. If Coleman is out again it would be difficult to see him on the roster for much longer;

Derby is healthy and saw some snaps on O w Bennett injury and some more ST snaps so with Gronk and Bennett situation he might be needed. Mitchell had a slight hamstring problem. The last report said he was ok but no need to hurry him back. Danny wants some snaps too ..;

I would be surprised if any of safeties/core STs would be left out since there are now 3 guys missing from ST unit: Harbor, Bolden and Freeny. Last week it seems Roberts came in for Harbor and Chung and Develin saw some snaps I guess in stead of Bolden. But Roberts could have much bigger role on D so maybe Grissom is in to take that place on ST.

Last edited:
JFC with the stomach bugs. I hope they have Gronk cordoned off from everyone. Don't need this to spread through the team for next week. Be interesting to see what shows up on next Wednesday's injury report.

Bolden, Valentine, Collins are considered definite.

Likely:
Shea McClellin (this might become more common)
at least 1 CB (I agree C. Jones)

The last spots might be two of:
1 offensive lineman - depending on health of Cannon
Anthony Johnson (maybe they moved him up because another team was making a move)
Mitchell
1 more DB

No Collins? d%#*!@t, d%#*!@t, d%#*!@t. :mad:

Well we can manage one game here without him. We will reallly need him back against Pitt next week tho.

Since McClellin was cleared from the Concussion Protocol, you think he might be active. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with him since the Pats activated Grissom AND there is talk of Collins missing the game with a hip injury.. I expect Hightower and Roberts to get the lionshare of the snaps at LB.. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Pats in a heavy nickle most of the game with Chung and Harmon out there.

We might see the debut of Eric Rowe, finally. And we could use him since Coleman has been horrible (outside of one play) and Cyrus Jones needs to play smarter..

What scares me is the possibility of Thuney (Shoulder) not playing.. He's been our most consistent O-lineman. With only Mason and Karras as other interior O-line on the active roster currently, that would put quite a burden on the O-line. Especially if Cannon can't go. Though, it may not be a big issue since the Pats didn't activate one of the 2 OL from the PS they have.

I don't see Grissom as being an addition to STs. Quite the opposite. He was the one responsible for the blocked punt last year in Philly and I feel that there are better players on the team than him currently who can play STs.

With new shuffles of the roster yesterday, a lengthy injury report and new roster moves coming up next week .. this is one of the most difficult and intriguing Inactive Lists to predict.

Two big questions - Gronk and Collins - seem to have the answer:

The other two pretty certain absentees are Bolden and Valentine.

So who else?

Here's the list of candidates: Bolden(I), Valentine(I), Collins (I), Cannon/Waddle, McClellin/Grissom, Coleman/Rowe/C Jones, Derby, Mitchell. (Underlined are my predictions.)

EDIT:
No need to rush Cannon in with Fleming's very solid play;

McClellin should be good re. concussion but he wasn't 100% beforehand so another week of rest could do him good .. but since Collins is reportedly out he might be needed for some depth. Still Grissom was probably signed to 53 for a reason (ST) so I guess they could go with only one starter and 3 relatively recent LB options High-Mingo-Roberts-Ninko;

The most intriguing is CB position: They left 2 CB's out of the game last week (Coleman and Rowe) but with more receiving powers of the Bengals and searching for that #3 CB I expect 5 to be active. Sure hope we can finally see Rowe. Maybe CJ should sit one to calm down. If Coleman is out again it would be difficult to see him on the roster for much longer;

Derby is healthy and saw some snaps on O w Bennett injury and some more ST snaps so with Gronk and Bennett situation he might be needed. Mitchell had a slight hamstring problem. The last report said he was ok but no need to hurry him back. Danny wants some snaps too ..;

I would be surprised if any of safeties/core STs would be left out since there are now 3 guys missing from ST unit: Harbor, Bolden and Freeny. Last week it seems Roberts came in for Harbor and Chung and Develin saw some snaps I guess in stead of Bolden. But Roberts could have much bigger role on D so maybe Grissom is in to take that place on ST.

I expect Cyrus Jones to play and have the third most corner snaps but that spot has been a revolving door. Eventually it will be Jones just a matter of when

Cu5knA7WYAApo-8.jpg

Cyrus Jones apparently a healthy scratch.

Rowe has apparently supplanted Justin Coleman for depth in the secondary.

Shea McClellin needs to get healthy if he is ever going to be effective.

Will be nice once Vincent Valentine returns.

Rowe wears #25 .. here's hoping he can grab that #3 CB spot!

Note: he also plays special teams!

Eric Rowe: 'Dynasty' Patriots 'brought me here for a reason'

With the one move, Rowe goes from a team that hasn’t won a playoff game in eight years and hasn’t won a championship in 55 years to a team that since 2001 has won four Super Bowls, reached six Super Bowls, averaged over 12 wins per year and won 22 playoff games.

“I’m excited just to get an opportunity to play,” Rowe said. “This is like a dynasty team, so I’m just excited for an opportunity to play and make the team better and coach [Bill] Belichick sees something in me. He’s a Hall of Fame coach, so that really motivates me.”

Rowe played both corner and safety in college but was exclusively a cornerback with the Eagles, and he said Thursday he considers himself primarily a cornerback.

But Belichick left the door open for Rowe to play both or either.

“I think athletically he has a good skill set and that gives him the versatility, at least in college, to play those two positions,” he said. “I'm not saying he's going to do that for us or not do it. We'll have to see how it goes. I don't really know.

“He has mainly played corner in this league, but you know, has some length. We'll see how it goes but I think he has some positional versatility, a smart kid, has got some length, has some speed.”

Rowe, just 23, is the first second-round pick the Eagles have given up on this quickly since 1994.​

Cannon is active. Good news for T depth.

Cyrus Jones inactive - I predicted he would pay for his boneheaded plays and ejection. Learning moment for the rookie. I expect him to be a beast next time out.

DL and LB will be interesting to watch. Mingo will have a big day.

Anyone know if the league fined Jones for his "punch" and ejection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye