PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Power Rankings from Iggleville

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.thebulletin.us/site/index.cfm?newsid=20018873&BRD=2737&PAG=461&dept_id=576361&rfi=8
Eagles 9th In Power Rankings
By: G. Cobb, The Bulletin
08/15/2008

With training camp winding down and the regular season drawing ever closer, here are my NFL power rankings at the moment:

1. San Diego Chargers - This may be the most talented team in the league from top to bottom, and I think past frustrations will propel them to the top. Philip Rivers is ready to move up among the elite quarterbacks and that will make all the difference this year.

2. New England Patriots - You still have Tom Brady and Randy Moss, but I don't think they're going to be as effective this year. The Pats' defense is suspect - they're getting long in the tooth and they lost some key components. And by the way, how did a Super Bowl team wind up with such an easy schedule?
-----
G. Cobb played 11 seasons in the NFL for the Lions, Eagles and Cowboys and is currently a talk-show host on Sports Radio 610 WIP

Last edited:
The fact that a former player who is now part of the media, does not understand how the scheduling works in the NFL baffles me. That is all I need to know about him and his "expertise".

Last edited:
Last edited:
The fact that a former player who is now part of the media, does not understand how the scheduling works in the NFL baffles me. That is all I need to know about him and his "expertise".

He works for WIP which is Philadelphia's version of moron radio and sports are only peripheral. Take anything from them with a large grain of salt........

When are people going to understand that one reason the Pats seemingly have an "easy" schedule is they don't have to play the team that went 16-0 last year.
....let me think...I have the name on the tip of my tongue.

Also,they play the 4-12 NJ Jets and the 1-15 Dolphins.

If they played every playoff team in the AFC and NFC,it would still look easy because they can't play themselves.

....sheesh....SOS is the worst indicator in football.

When are people going to understand that one reason the Pats seemingly have an "easy" schedule is they don't have to play the team that went 16-0 last year.
....let me think...I have the name on the tip of my tongue.

Also,they play the 4-12 NJ Jets and the 1-15 Dolphins.

If they played every playoff team in the AFC and NFC,it would still look easy because they can't play themselves.

....sheesh....SOS is the worst indicator in football.

Dosent this indicate a death note for the chargers now? I mean when sports reporters talk about a team in the pre-season to go all the way to the SB, dosent that mean that they are doomed?

That comment should end the thread right there

Doesn't the "most talented from top to bottom" and "out for revenge" labels for San Deigo get old after a while? They have been labelled the most talented team for the last three years and it hasn't done anything for them. Last preseason the mantra that San Deigo were upset because they knew they were the best team in the playoffs the year before and gave the game away to the Patriots were going to fuel them to the Super Bowl. Sooner or later those arguments don't fly anymore.

Also, hasn't the getting long in the tooth argument gotten a little old when referring to the Pats' defense? Seriously, that was the argument people made in 2003, 2004, and last year. Besides, the Pats have gotten younger at LB with the additions of Mayo, Crable, Hobson, and/or Guyton.

Doesn't the "most talented from top to bottom" and "out for revenge" labels for San Deigo get old after a while? They have been labelled the most talented team for the last three years and it hasn't done anything for them. Last preseason the mantra that San Deigo were upset because they knew they were the best team in the playoffs the year before and gave the game away to the Patriots were going to fuel them to the Super Bowl. Sooner or later those arguments don't fly anymore.

Also, hasn't the getting long in the tooth argument gotten a little old when referring to the Pats' defense? Seriously, that was the argument people made in 2003, 2004, and last year. Besides, the Pats have gotten younger at LB with the additions of Mayo, Crable, Hobson, and/or Guyton.

It's not even true that San Diego has the most talented roster top to bottom, especially with the departure of Turner. They have a lot of top tier talent amongst their first stringers, but their reserves don't match up to the Patriots. Not to mention, they don't have a wide receiver that's even 1/10th as good as Moss (although Jackson is solid), or a guy that can compare with Brady at the most important position on the field. I'll take the Pats' roster top to bottom over San Diego's any day of the week.

I'm starting to believe that about 40% of the media tells the people what they think their audience wants to hear, 25% take a contrarian view in order to stir up debate and controversy, 30% just repeat and rehash what other's have come up with, and at most only 5% offer honest, unbiased, insightful analysis with no agenda.

I'm starting to believe that about 40% of the media tells the people what they think their audience wants to hear, 25% take a contrarian view in order to stir up debate and controversy, 30% just repeat and rehash what other's have come up with, and at most only 5% offer honest, unbiased, insightful analysis with no agenda.

The breakdown is more like 20/20/59/1.

I don't recall where I read it last night, but someone pointed out how well the NE defense did last season when you take into account how quickly the offense would score, putting the D right back out on the field. Made a lot of sense.

I don't recall where I read it last night, but someone pointed out how well the NE defense did last season when you take into account how quickly the offense would score, putting the D right back out on the field. Made a lot of sense.

I also found it nothing short of astounding that the Pats allowed the 6th fewest passing yards when teams were playing catchup for essentially 55 minutes per game.

Add to that youth at LB and DB and a healthy DL and I get giddy thinking about this D.

I also found it nothing short of astounding that the Pats allowed the 6th fewest passing yards when teams were playing catchup for essentially 55 minutes per game.

Add to that youth at LB and DB and a healthy DL and I get giddy thinking about this D.
Once the newbies gel into the mix, until then we can expect a few "oh chit" plays to keep our anxiety levels high, but I like the potential Bryant, Wheatley, Meriweather, Mayo, Woods, Spann, and Guyton displayed. And farther into the future Crable looks good too.

the chargers suck.

Once the newbies gel into the mix, until then we can expect a few "oh chit" plays to keep our anxiety levels high, but I like the potential Bryant, Wheatley, Meriweather, Mayo, Woods, Spann, and Guyton displayed. And farther into the future Crable looks good too.

Crable in on week 8 or 10. Write it down. :)

14. Baltimore Ravens - This team is over the hill. Nowadays, Ray Lewis is a dominating player in name only. Their defense is old and they still don't have a quarterback or a good group of receivers.

How can a team that doesn't have a QB, an O line, or receivers, and an aging defense be ranked this high. What did they win last year 4 -5 games? Oh, that's right, their new head coach came from the Eagles......:rolleyes:

This guy is clueless. He has been on WIP for 15 years and they still only give him the off-hour or vacation shifts.

He use to say that McNabb was a much more talented QB than Brady, that's all you need to know about his football knowledge.

Also, living in Eagleville, I've had to put up with their b.s. year after year. Talk about easy schedules, they played a creampuff schedule during their 5 year run.

Finally, this bozo and the rest of the birds nest really think their team is better than the Cowboys and Giants...

clueless.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe