PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats @ Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I have to repeat myself again.....Gronk has played 36 of 38 possible games the last two seasons......if he is injury prone so is every NFL player who has ever played. Every player gets dinged up and nicked up. There hasn't been one alive that hasn't gotten hurt and if there is they are made of Flubber or some other rubbery substance.

And the teams I used as examples may have younger QBs...but younger also means less experienced. Wilson is damn good and we know that. Carr is coming into his own but we have yet to realize what he can be when the lights come on. Oakland doesn't have a dynasty because prior to this season (and thanks to their pretty good offseason by their GM Reggie Mac) they were sucking wind.

I never really cared about the "dynasty" talk and I still don't to this day. That doesn't concern me. My issue is that things are situated pretty good for the Pats as it stands as far as prospects for a successful season and a subsequent playoff run in January. The defense and other aspects of the coaching needs to improve before then, but like BB always says, the season begins after Thanksgiving. This is where the big boys begin to seperate themselves. That's why I mentioned Oakland and Seattle. Our game against the Jets was close, but that had to be expected given the circumstances going in. I don't put much stock in Seattle losing to the Bucs, but that's what happened. I'm happy to root for a team that is in this situation and has been here for going on 16 seasons. That is unprecedented. I intend to enjoy.

At the end of the day: I love this team and hope they win their next 1,000 games without a loss. I just know them having endless winning seasons and even being relevant isn't going to be a forever thing. Outside of this forum (so not calling anybody out here) I have met delusional homers that think we'll keep having winning seasons forever and most of them will be very dissapointed. I am enjoying the ride and am amazed at how well they have played for sixteen seasons straight.

I tend to have opinions that others are afraid or not aware enough of a situation to say. I hope I'm wrong, but don't have much more to add until playoff time.

Pros:
- A lot of contributors on O, I think there were eight guys with at least 1 reception, and six guys with atleast 3. Continued growth of Mitchell is great, and having Lewis back is a treat.
- Happy for Chris Long making a big play to help seal the deal. Hopefully it gives him a boost going forward.
- Might have been against a 3-7 team, but the Pats continue to handle going on the road and are 6-0 on the year.

Cons:
- While it required amazing catches at times, Butler got beat on several occasions. Guess it's just the reality of having a sub 6' guy trying to cover big receivers.
- Gostkowski continues to be a liability.
- Gronk is made of paper mache.

We need a great coverage LB like #51

You know what the proof is in that clip that Jamie Collins is something less than mature? The fact that it says "Collins Sr." on the back of his uniform.

The dude isn't even 30! Suddenly, in Cleveland he's Collins Sr., either cause it sounds cool or cause he named his kid 'Jamie'... either way, a little douchey for a guy you're going to entrust your defense to.

There's a couple other guys doing it too now. Christine Michael is 'Michael Sr.' and he's known for being a knucklehead.

You know what the proof is in that clip that Jamie Collins is something less than mature? The fact that it says "Collins Sr." on the back of his uniform.

The dude isn't even 30! Suddenly, in Cleveland he's Collins Sr., either cause it sounds cool or cause he named his kid 'Jamie'... either way, a little douchey for a guy you're going to entrust your defense to.

There's a couple other guys doing it too now. Christine Michael is 'Michael Sr.' and he's known for being a knucklehead.
Maybe he named his cat Jamie Jr.?

Seeing the Sr. thing always rustles my jimmies.

I've noticed a lot of players having Sr., III, IV, or V on the back of their jerseys this year. Seems trendy.

At the end of the day: I love this team and hope they win their next 1,000 games without a loss. I just know them having endless winning seasons and even being relevant isn't going to be a forever thing. Outside of this forum (so not calling anybody out here) I have met delusional homers that think we'll keep having winning seasons forever and most of them will be very dissapointed. I am enjoying the ride and am amazed at how well they have played for sixteen seasons straight.

I tend to have opinions that others are afraid or not aware enough of a situation to say. I hope I'm wrong, but don't have much more to add until playoff time.

The good thing I've learned being on this forum is...regardless of our opinions about anything and everything...we LOVE THIS TEAM. For my money, you won't find another forum with as many eloquent, passionate and dedicated fans of something as you will right here. I don't listen to anyone else outside of here for Patriots opinions and analysis because it doesn't make any sense to do so. I come here more than the actual Patriots.com, if I'm really honest. That's how good this place is.

We all want them to win every game and win every game by a billion points. But I guess for me and a few others who have watched this team for 25+ years, if they win a game close or struggle during the season but still come out on top....that's pretty satisfying, because 25 years ago, this was unheard of around these parts. It's good to not be a laughingstock anymore. So as long as the GOAT coach (for all his faults you may have with his decisions) and the GOAT QB (for all the mistakes he has made and may make later on) strap on the laces and the headset and put on the colors, it's lights, camera, action. I'm all in on them and whatever happens from here on, I'll be there. Glad to hear you will be too.

I think the team is falling apart, buts its been and still is a slow process.

Falling apart? What evidence even remotely offers this media hot take any credence? The win/loss record? The QB play? The return of Sheard to a much higher effort? The emergence of Mitchell to fill in for the immediate Gronk production loss in the game?

You mention opinion - yeah, you can have an opinion, but without any credible materials to back it up, the "opinion" such as it is amounts to nothing but hot air. Falling apart is a loss turning into a series of losses, a QB unable to produce points when behind in the 4th quarter, a defense that gives up 25-30 points per game, an OL that gives up 4-5 sacks per game, and a host of other REAL indicators of true decline. None of which this team has BTW.

Then every NFL player is injury prone then. Brady too for that matter. I love it how people (not you but others in this thread) love to call him p***y in the comfort of their computers but I guaran-damn-tee if he was in front of their face they'd melt like a damn puppy. Hilarious.

You are talking about a subset of people that called Gronk soft even though he played through a ****ing perforated lung including bleeding in his chest two weeks ago. It's the same people who called Jimmy soft for not playing through an AC sprain on his throwing arm. You are talking about morons..

Officially, Brady took two hits on the first two offensive plays and then two hits on the next 48 dropbacks combined.

Against one of the better d-lines in the NFL.

On the second TD pass to Mitchell the Jets brought 7. On the first pass to Mitchell they brought 5. Brady was untouched.

Last edited:
That was clearly an example and anyway, you don't need to be able to teach others about football to be right/wrong about football.

I expected negative feedback and that's fine. I always get negative feedback on my bold opinions.

Wow

So bold

That takes so much courage

Are you Kirk Minihane?

You are so bold

You must really impress yourself

Great read and thanks for sharing, Mack, but just to clarify---Gronk did not have "multiple" disc surgeries. That would have been impossible for him to continue playing since they'd almost certainly have fused his back due to lack of remaining disc material/fluid during the 2nd surgery (which never happened). There was just one injury and surgery.

He had the exact same injury and surgery that I recently had, which is a cleanup of the material that had leaked through/ruptured/herniated (choose your term) the disc itself and was now pressing on nerve endings. Most of the time it involves debilitating sciatica symptoms, which Gronk described perfectly. You can barely stand the pain, walk, sit, sleep, etc.
Thanks Sup, backs are notoriously difficult and I certainly wish you a pain free future. Rob reportedly had two disc surgeries (among many others), one in college 2009 and again in 2013:
Gronk to undergo back surgery Tuesday
Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski can return from back surgery, but will he be same dominant player? - The Boston Globe
For Gronk, road back was tougher than it looked

It's tough, but the Pats would hold essentially a 2-game lead against Oak if they lose

If Oakland and the Pats end up tied they could very easily have the same conference record. The Pats could then lose the tiebreaker on #3, won-lost % in common games. If the Bills win next week in Oakland that would erase that common game advantage.

if I have to hear "we shouldnt have traded chandler jones" again im going to go crazy. the trade doesnt exist in a vacuum where we add jones to the existing team.

with the trade of jones we got Malcolm mitchell who had 2 tds yesterday (one the gamewinner) and thuney who is a starter and a solid one at that. so it isnt exactly apples to oranges

if we keep jones it likely those guys arent here. and its a different team with different issues

If Oakland and the Pats end up tied they could very easily have the same conference record. The Pats could then lose the tiebreaker on #3, won-lost % in common games. If the Bills win next week in Oakland that would erase that common game advantage.
Go bills!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm going for the disagree/dislike record on that post :rolleyes:

Its fine though, I get not many will agree due to how controversial of an opinion it is. I hope I am wrong of course, but we'll see.

No, we disagree because of how wrong of an opinion it is, not because of how controversial it is. Your postulation is along the lines of the famous "they hate their coach", that the structure of the team is finally crumbling and we're about to collapse into the inevitable disarray that we've somehow managed to avoid for 16 years and counting.

Yes, no doubt one of these days the squawking chickens will be right and our glorious dynasty will fall. I just wonder though about those who take such delight in announcing/predicting it over and over and over again. Especially when they're proven wrong over and over and over again. I mean, which one of you will be able to stand up with a straight face and go "There, see! I told you so!" when we can easily point to hundreds of different times where you said the same thing and were wrong? And what joy does it bring you anyway?

Here's a primer for those who don't get it.

The Jets always play us tough, especially at home. We also tend to lose to Miami in Miami. The only Patriots team that blew everyone away was the 2007 team and that team didn't win the Super Bowl. It only takes a few bad bounces, missed calls, poor spots or missed assignments to separate one team from another and it has ALWAYS been that way. That's why they say "Any given Sunday". The sign of a team that DOES win Super Bowls is winning the tough close games and making critical plays when they really count. There is a salary cap and because of that you can't just sign anyone you want and also have both the best defense AND the best offense. The Patriots value depth and versatility over specialized and hard-to-find skills that require high premiums in salary. The team's defensive philosophy is "bend but don't break" and they're NOT bringing the blitz no matter how many times you beg them to do so. They play percentages and those percentages have turned out to correspond to playoff seasons 9 times out of 10. The other teams get paid, are staffed with professionals at all levels (with some exceptions, okay) and particularly dislike the Patriots so we tend to get their best efforts especially in divisional games.

Accept these basic facts and stop whining like beaches. Enjoy that we get to watch the team that almost always comes out on top in this very competitive league despite them obviously attempting to handicap us along the way.

When you see a child crying on the street because they're hungry, you feel empathy and sympathy. When you see a child losing it in Toys 'R' Us because Mommy won't buy them the latest trendy furball you feel sadness and disgust.

(And sorry for appearing to single you out, this was obviously a message to more than just you).

Pats fans should be used to this scenario by now.

When the season starts and everyone is healthy, the Pats usually look like the class of the league, like last year starting 10-0, and elevate expectations.

Then the inevitable, and unpredictable injuries that come from playing a violent, collision sport, start to multiply and change the dynamics of the whole NFL*.

The Pats suffer from the additional whammy of being the standard other teams measure themselves by, and always getting other teams' "A game", as they play their proxy Superbowls.

The Pats get no breathers, and combined with the longer season each year due to the Pats always being in the playoffs and the NFL*'s moronic decision to play Thursday night games, leads to some players getting so much abuse it shouldn't be a surprise when their bodies break down.

As if that isn't enough, the NFL* invents offenses so that they can throw even more roadblocks in the Pats' way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News