PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible Reason Patriots Don't Let Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of this as well, Belichick is out to make a mockery of the rules that he thinks have made a mockery of the game.

I think another possibility is that this is psychological warfare. Belichick knows his chief competition is the Colts. By having Brady break Pansy Manning's record and basically beating the Colts at their own game he is getting in Manning's head.

Manning actually felt a little good about himself after the Super Bowl win, instead of the loser he always feels like when he chokes. Now he comes into this season and sees Tom Brady make his hard earned records look like child's play. Manning always had his records, Brady had more SB's but Manning took pride in being stat boy. Now Brady not only has more SB's but he has better stats as well.

Manning ain't shyt now and he is starting to feel like that mayberry looking mopey choke artist we all know and love. Watch him revert to his old ways of playing catch with the Pats secondary next Sunday and you will see what I mean.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the Pats, disgusted with the way the NFL capitulated to the Colts whining when they made it virtually impossible for defensive backs to cover receivers, decided to take matters into their own hands by scoring ridiculous amounts of points? I'm sure a defensive guru like Belichick is appalled at how slanted the NFL is toward offensives. Maybe they're doing this to swing the pendulum back towards the defense being able to compete. I find the games annoyingly one sided. Defenses have no chance. Something needs to be done and maybe the Pats are hoping to force the NFL's hand.

I don't think this is an expressed conscious objective. It may be an ancillary benefit though. Above all Belichick believes in .."it is what it is..."

If the Rules are now warped in favor of Offense, than become an Offensive Juggernaut., if you want to win. Don't just cry about it.

A side benefit of this rampage, if completed, it will likely indeed lead to revised Rules granting the Defenses the ability to compete once again. and I think Belichick would welcome such an eventuality.:cool:

My thought on Running up the score

What is all this crying about? I admit it sucks being on the short end of a 52-7 score - anyone would hate it. But what is wrong with contining to score?

1) This is NOT AYSO soccer this is PROFESSIONAL sports where BIG $ players play to win. In corporate America do big companies stop making money when the profits get to big?

2) People who hate running up the score should petition the league to institute a mercy rule. When a team gets a big lead like 4 or 5 TDs the game ends.. No matter what quarter. Is this a good idea... WHy play a game and risk player injury if there is no chance at winning. So what if the fans paid for 60 minutes but got only 30

3) The league rules have changed over the years to FAVOR offenses, becasue they wanted SCORING to go UP!!!!! now that a team is actually capabale of doing so they should stop.....

4) Is anybody concerned that a team's defensive stats may be mi-represented if ** against second teamers for 34 minutes **

Re: My thought on Running up the score

Just something interesting I remembered.

Bills 41, Houston Oilers 38 (OT)
Jan. 3, 1993
Rich Stadium
Attendance: 75,141

TEAM 1ST 2ND 3RD 4TH OT FINAL OILERS 7 21 7 3 0 38 BILLS 3 0 28 7 3 41

Buffalo scored four TDs in under seven minutes in the third quarter, and rallied from a 35-3 deficit to down the Oilers 41-38, marking the greatest comeback in NFL history. Houston jumped out to a 28-3 halftime lead

Here's a terrific article about running up the score:

Pro football weekly

What's next? By the end of the season, I can see the media and other teams' fans crying:

"Oh those classless Patriots, they've already have made the playoffs but they are still trying to win the remainder of their games. They are just Running Up The Wins. What are they trying to do, make us look as bad as we really are? blah blah blah..."

The pats players are taught to play for 60 minutes, up 50-0 or down 0-50. You play for 60 minutes. That is what it mainly is. I dont doubt a ton of other little things slightly affect the thinking. But mainly, they play for 60 minutes, period.

Is it possible that the Pats, disgusted with the way the NFL capitulated to the Colts whining when they made it virtually impossible for defensive backs to cover receivers, decided to take matters into their own hands by scoring ridiculous amounts of points? I'm sure a defensive guru like Belichick is appalled at how slanted the NFL is toward offensives. Maybe they're doing this to swing the pendulum back towards the defense being able to compete. I find the games annoyingly one sided. Defenses have no chance. Something needs to be done and maybe the Pats are hoping to force the NFL's hand.

Hard to say, since they would have taken Moss, Stallworth and Welker at the price anyway.

There's no doubt they felt the rule interpretations favored offense and they needed more points to tackle the front runners (colts).

Yeah, they're probably trying to rub the league's (competition committee) nose in it, on top of the camera thing.

I think BB enjoys watching them score like a pinball machine as much as anyone, though. It's not like he's abandoned defense, he's about adjusting to whatever it takes to win.

Last edited:
I am shocked you guys believe this. Do you really think Belichick cares whether he wins 28-0 instead of 56-28?

This is all about winning, all about never letting up, all about the ultimate test, which is beating the Colts. The more times we perfectly execute the plays, the more likely we well execute perfectly against the Colts. Why should we not run our best plays just because we are winning comfortably? If we sat on the ball, we would be playing half of a game on offense, while the Colts are playing a full game.

Additionally, if we hand it off to Heath Evans three times and punt, guess who has to go out there and get tired and possibly hurt? Yes, our defense.

So, according to the national media, whom BB does not respect, BB should take away meaningful game reps from his offense, and tire out and expose to injury his defense, just so he won't hurt the other professionals' feelings. What a joke. Stupid theories like the ones you guys suggest just perpetuate all this.

You are EXACTLY correct! In the Army we use to say to train like you fight. This is what they are doing. The fight of course being with the Colts this coming weekend. I normally do not use these military analogies but this one actually fits perfectly. Don't let up, keep running the offense. The more practice and work they get the better they will perform against the Colts vaunted defense.

Good job!

This "controversy" just illustrates that other team fans, organizations and coaches just don't "get it" and will never come close to achieving what Belichick and the Patriots have.

But allow me to make it as simple as possible:

The best way to have your team prepared to play at the highest level of competition at all times... is to have your team play at the highest level of competition at all times.

Belichick pretty much confirmed this on WEEI at 5:30 - saying that its tough enough to get guys to play at a high level as it is - and he felt that letting up on the gas pedal against the Fins last week led to some very sloppy defensive play

Apparently he made that concern known to the team last week and we all saw how they responded.

He also made the VERY valid point that one can't simply run every play - that one might as well announce an open invitation for opposing team defenses (who aren't going to let up one bit mind you) go to town on the OL and RBs - and that's a sure fire way to get someone injured.

Finally he did reconfirm the sentiment that going for it on 4th down WAS being kind, giving the opposing D every opportunity to stop them and get the ball on downs, rather than take the sure fire 3 points and kickoff to rub their noses in it

In other words - why is taking the easy 3 points nicer than continuing to eat up the clock with no points?

I am shocked you guys believe this. Do you really think Belichick cares whether he wins 28-0 instead of 56-28?

This is all about winning, all about never letting up, all about the ultimate test, which is beating the Colts. The more times we perfectly execute the plays, the more likely we well execute perfectly against the Colts. Why should we not run our best plays just because we are winning comfortably? If we sat on the ball, we would be playing half of a game on offense, while the Colts are playing a full game.

Additionally, if we hand it off to Heath Evans three times and punt, guess who has to go out there and get tired and possibly hurt? Yes, our defense.

So, according to the national media, whom BB does not respect, BB should take away meaningful game reps from his offense, and tire out and expose to injury his defense, just so he won't hurt the other professionals' feelings. What a joke. Stupid theories like the ones you guys suggest just perpetuate all this.

I think he wants to maintain the winning edge and the only way to do this is to go all out the entire time.

The other reason is to maintain perception and have other teams fear you. With the dolphin game. What if BB took out brady at half time and the pats still won 49-35.... or say he really poured it on and didn't put cassel in so the score ended up being 56-14? What would scare you most?

Also, BB wants to strengthen the killer instinct of the Pats, just like the Bulls of Jordan's time. The Bulls really had that mentality during their glory days. Go pats:rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News