PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible OL help - rookie tryouts

Sow was promoted at RT today. Sow had 5 reps against Will Anderson and won all 5. Anderson was the #3 pick in the draft and is supposed to be a generational talent. It appears as though you could not be more wrong with your evaluation. What is a no brainer?

I saw at least one rep that Anderson blew by him for a sack so that report was BS.

Promoted is questionable too. They tried Reiff at guard with Sow at RT today, and local writers were speculating it was a promotion.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

I saw at least one rep that Anderson blew by him for a sack so that report was BS.

Promoted is questionable too. They tried Reiff at guard with Sow at RT today, and local writers were speculating it was a promotion.

Maybe I'm wrong. We'll see.

Previously McDermott was at RT with the 1st team (Sow was with the 2nd or 3rd team IDK) when Reiff was not at RT. On Sunday Sow was at RT with the 1st team, not McDermott, when Reiff was not at RT. That clearly is not a demotion for Sow and some call it a promotion. Your comment was that if Sow could not play guard, he was a bust (rephrased).

Did you read the "Patriots Training Camp 8-13-23" thread? Bedard said Sow at tackle was OK. The PFF analyst (not some Twitter jamoke) said Sow won all of his reps against Anderson. And Sow moved from 2nd to 1st team reps the practice day after the scrimmage, meaning the Pats coaching staff thought Sow worthy of an increase in responsibility.

Thanks for posting a response and not hiding from your comments. Reading your posts, I was convinced Sow was a bust. Obviously not. You are a good poster, not one of the "miserable" crew, that is why I thought Sow was a bust.

Last year there were a few times Mac dropped back too far and got sacked. The tackle's back is to the QB, so the tackle has to balance pushing the defensive end upfield versus protecting from a swim move, or equivalent, underneath. The tackle is creating a pocket based on whether the QB will have a 5 or 7 step drop, the tackle does not have to protect all the way upfield. So a defensive end can "blow by" a tackle by going upfield, but if the QB does not step up properly, it is not the tackles mistake. Maybe something like that fooled you?

Previously McDermott was at RT with the 1st team (Sow was with the 2nd or 3rd team IDK) when Reiff was not at RT. On Sunday Sow was at RT with the 1st team, not McDermott, when Reiff was not at RT. That clearly is not a demotion for Sow and some call it a promotion. Your comment was that if Sow could not play guard, he was a bust (rephrased).

Yes, and still think so because he can't play tackle IMO.

Did you read the "Patriots Training Camp 8-13-23" thread? Bedard said Sow at tackle was OK. The PFF analyst (not some Twitter jamoke) said Sow won all of his reps against Anderson. And Sow moved from 2nd to 1st team reps the practice day after the scrimmage, meaning the Pats coaching staff thought Sow worthy of an increase in responsibility.

I read Bedard and the "analyst" and IMO they're wrong. Maybe the coaches thought it would be helpful if Sow got reps with a veteran who actually knew the guard position.

Thanks for posting a response and not hiding from your comments. Reading your posts, I was convinced Sow was a bust. Obviously not. You are a good poster, not one of the "miserable" crew, that is why I thought Sow was a bust.

Thank you. You are a great poster. I said if Sow can't play guard he is a bust and stand behind the statement still. I'll hide when that is proven incorrect :)

Last year there were a few times Mac dropped back too far and got sacked. The tackle's back is to the QB, so the tackle has to balance pushing the defensive end upfield versus protecting from a swim move, or equivalent, underneath. The tackle is creating a pocket based on whether the QB will have a 5 or 7 step drop, the tackle does not have to protect all the way upfield. So a defensive end can "blow by" a tackle by going upfield, but if the QB does not step up properly, it is not the tackles mistake. Maybe something like that fooled you?

Nobody was fooled. Even Sow wasn't because there was no need for a defender to put any move on him. Consistently, the first step from whomever he was facing went around Sow.

We'll see what happens, but IMO Bedard and the other reports are wrong. Watch the game yourself.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back