PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Possible 3 first rounders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess at this point with extra salary cap room it would be shocking that the Pats let him walk for nothing. If anything drive up the price if the Jets make a run at him.
I'll be upset if we let him walk.

I realize that if we spend the money well then we're getting "equivalent or better" talent. But we should be able to get more than a 2008 #4 which is what we're likely looking at in a comp pick. And we could ensure he doesn't go to a team like The Jest.

I'd much prefer to get a 2008 #2 and have him get his big contract in, say, Arizona than let him go to The Jest and get a lower comp pick.

I'll be upset if we let him walk.

I realize that if we spend the money well then we're getting "equivalent or better" talent. But we should be able to get more than a 2008 #4 which is what we're likely looking at in a comp pick. And we could ensure he doesn't go to a team like The Jest.

I'd much prefer to get a 2008 #2 and have him get his big contract in, say, Arizona than let him go to The Jest and get a lower comp pick.

If they could get a #2 I think that would be awesome.

A 2 would be nice.But if we could get a 1? Now that would be something. Imagine the youth you could gain?

The exclusive tag is just that - one you put on players (like Indy did with Manning in 2004) who you do not wish to allow to talk to any other team. For that you pay the premium of them receiving the average of the top 5 salaries in the coming year.

The non exclusive tag is the one also used to trade players. Players and their agents are free to talk to any team that is interested (shop themselves) but can only sign with a team willing to part with 2 #1's. Almost no one would unless they were trading for an established franchise QB like Manning or Brady. So if the player says I don't want to play under the tag I want a long term deal or else (and the team doesn't really want him at that price anyway) then the team begins talking to those teams who have expressed interest in him contract wise short of parting with the 2 #1's and they reach the best deal they can with one of them. It's what the JETS did with Abraham last year) who was under the tag for the second year in a row I believe. Tangini couldn't even afford the tag and would have had to cut players to sign their draftees had they not been able to trade him. But they weren't willing to let him walk for nothing so they worked out a deal with Atlanta (that even required Atlanta to bring in a third party in Denver to match up what they were willing to give up with what NY wanted. And Indy let Edge try to find a suitor in 2005 only the market for running backs was slow and his demands well known and they couldn't find a suitor who would trade a #1 or a high #2, and absent that Polian was prepared to pay him to play in 2005 and walk thereafter.

So basically if we tag Asante he and his agent are still free to shop him, and if they find a team or teams are willing to pay him substantially more than we are offering in a long term deal and close to what he wants, he will likely tell the Pats that he is not sure he will sign the tag or report to camp (which he can not be fined for under a tag scenario) and he'd prefer to be traded. Then the dance commences. Because the one thing this team cannot afford is another Branch like debaucle where they play mickey the dunce assuming the player will come/cave in eventually, and he won't. They could theoretically tag him to play him, but only if he and his agent agreed to sign the tag up front, and in this market they'd likely be insane to.

Oh. Well, I stand corrected, but still stand by my Geico lizard impression, if not the content or purpose of said lizard impession.

PFnV

The vast majority of franchise-tagged players are non-exclusive. Why pay more for the exclusive rights when the non-exclusive requires two first round picks, which no one is going to give up these days? No one is going to give two first round picks for Asante, so if he is tagged it will be non-exclusive.

You're thinking of restricted free agency.

The franchise tag is a one-year contract, so no other team can sign the player.

This isn't totally true, Pats1.

There are two types of Franchise contract. There is the EXCLUSIVE Franchise contract and the Regular Franchise contract.

If a team choses the EXCLUSIVE, then the player ONLY can negotiate with that team, but the team is obligated to a 1 year deal amounting to the avg of the top 5 salaries at his position as of April 15th (or some time then).

If the team choses the regular franchise contract, then the player has 2 options. He can sign the franchise agreement and get the average of the top 5 salaries at his position from the previous year OR he can chose to negotiate with other teams. If the player signs a contract with another team, then the two teams have to work out compensation for said player. If the teams can't work out compensation, then the default compensation is 2 1st round draft picks.

I thought the Bills stupid to do it. so the guy sits out. but now he's gonna walk for no compensation.

plus it sets a bad precedent

Actually, the Bills will get a compensation pick for Clements from the league. It will probably be a 3rd rounder, but they won't get it until next year.

There are two types of Franchise contract. There is the EXCLUSIVE Franchise contract and the Regular Franchise contract.

If a team choses the EXCLUSIVE, then the player ONLY can negotiate with that team, but the team is obligated to a 1 year deal amounting to the avg of the top 5 salaries at his position as of April 15th (or some time then).

If the team choses the regular franchise contract, then the player has 2 options. He can sign the franchise agreement and get the average of the top 5 salaries at his position from the previous year OR he can chose to negotiate with other teams. If the player signs a contract with another team, then the two teams have to work out compensation for said player. If the teams can't work out compensation, then the default compensation is 2 1st round draft picks.
You're thinking of the transition tag.

You're thinking of the transition tag.

No, I'm not.

The Transistion tag is the top 10 salaries at a particular position and the original team only has the right to match the offer. If they don't match the offer, the get no compensation from the signing team, but would be eligible for draft compensation from the league.

Right, I posted the link to Wikipedia on that.

Correctly me if I'm wrong, but must teams do use the exclusive tag, right?

Actually, the Bills will get a compensation pick for Clements from the league. It will probably be a 3rd rounder, but they won't get it until next year.

It's still not the same as a first or 2nd rounder

Right, I posted the link to Wikipedia on that.

Correctly me if I'm wrong, but must teams do use the exclusive tag, right?

Actually, my understanding is that very few teams use the exclusive franchise tag (presumably because it engenders bitter feelings--the taggee has no choice but to either accept the offer or sit out).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News