PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poss. interesting scenario RE: Milloy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always loved Lawyer Milloy. When we went to Super Bowl 36, he had that quote about how the media could party down there all they want, but "we're going there on business!" My first replica jersey is a Milloy 36. (I've since added a Harrison 37 road colors, and a Wilfork 75 home blue.)

When he left, that tarnished things a bit, but I always felt it was sour grapes talking. His situation was sort of unique --- not just the typical greedy scenario, although there was some of that. He never sounded as clueless as Ty Law, for example. (I liked both players on our team!)

If we brought him back (which I doubt) a big plus would be not having to take a year to teach him our defense. Ditto Ty Law

shakadave said:
I always loved Lawyer Milloy. When we went to Super Bowl 36, he had that quote about how the media could party down there all they want, but "we're going there on business!" My first replica jersey is a Milloy 36. (I've since added a Harrison 37 road colors, and a Wilfork 75 home blue.)

When he left, that tarnished things a bit, but I always felt it was sour grapes talking. His situation was sort of unique --- not just the typical greedy scenario, although there was some of that. He never sounded as clueless as Ty Law, for example. (I liked both players on our team!)

If we brought him back (which I doubt) a big plus would be not having to take a year to teach him our defense. Ditto Ty Law

We wouldn't have to teach Pepper Johnson our defense either, however I wouldn't want him suiting up.

Lawyer is Chuck Wepner in the 15th round.

Since there is no way in hell he would exept a salary consistent with what he puts on the field I say no!

The same people that are shtting on bringing Lawyer back, are the same ones that would be all pumped up if we bring him back... Yes I would love to see Lawyer back. The guy LOVES Boston/ New England, and always comes back to visit every chance he gets. When Lawyer was here, esp. in the Pete Carrol days he was probably the best at his position, and the only player worth watching here. He might have lost a step, but no one tell me they'd feel more comfortable with Artell Hawkins then Lawyer Milloy at strong safety. The guy is still one of the hardest hitters in the game

What are you all talking about? If Lawyer wanted to come back for the vet min or anything close to that, we ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A SINGLE DOUBT MUST sign him.

Whatever petty jealousies you have about personalities and head cases, Lawyer is a football player. The fact that his agent is a f&cking moron has nothing to do with building a team to win the SB. As for all those firey things Milloy had to say about BB and the organization... I never took any of it as anything more than sour grapes and hot air. That's all water under the bridge if he comes back to the fold. The prodigal son.

The thing that makes it impossible is that Milloy wouldn't come back to the Pats, because he'd first have to admit that he was wrong. I think he has too much pride.

I was watching "Patriot Nation" on the NFL network last night. BB was being interviewed by Sabol (I think it was after the 2003 season) when Sabol asked him what was his hardest personnel decision and BB answered without any hesitation "cutting Laywer Milloy". So yes, I do think that he would bring him back.

Apparently, most here would rather have Poteat and Stone instead of Law and Milloy. This is no surprise. Milloy is a former player and therefore next to useless.

Yes, Milloy was under contract and was fired with a week left in the preseason because he wouldn't rip his old CONTRACT and sign a new one on the pats terms. Yes, I believe that he agreed to negotiate. He did. If the pats needed the cap money so badly, perhaps they might have negotiated earlier, or had the terms agreed to. And yes, he was unhappy to be forced to find a new job with one week left. It is good for him that his agent was checking out other teams, just in case the pats screwed him.

The Management would take Milloy (and/or Milloy) back in a heartbeat. There are only three issues: would he help the team, can a contract be signed that has money acceptable to both, and can a contract be signed that protects both parties.

rookBoston said:
What are you all talking about? If Lawyer wanted to come back for the vet min or anything close to that, we ABSOLUTELY WITHOUT A SINGLE DOUBT MUST sign him.

Whatever petty jealousies you have about personalities and head cases, Lawyer is a football player. The fact that his agent is a f&cking moron has nothing to do with building a team to win the SB. As for all those firey things Milloy had to say about BB and the organization... I never took any of it as anything more than sour grapes and hot air. That's all water under the bridge if he comes back to the fold. The prodigal son.

The thing that makes it impossible is that Milloy wouldn't come back to the Pats, because he'd first have to admit that he was wrong. I think he has too much pride.

Since he left, we have never had a season where we didn't win a Super Bowl. 2 for 2 and about to be 3 for 3. If we don't win it this year, it's because of Harrison being out, not because we're missing Milloy.

Unless this 33 year old comes back for Vet. Min. I see no reason why we shouldn't be spending more time and effort developing James Sanders and another draft pick or two.

And talking about burning bridges, it was just THIS preseason when he was still going on Boston radio going off on BB and overtly trying to stir up the Seymour contract situation. It was pure meddling in someone else's team contract situation and the NFL had every right to investigate that.

I liked Lawyer for many years also. He WAS a very good player.

Last edited:
KDPpatsfan said:
I suspect there will be some house cleaning with the Bills and one would think that Lawyer will be one of the first to go. Would you take him back at Vet Min or close to it?

My vote is absolutely but only at a low salary #

Nope to old and slow. James Sanders will be a very good player in time. A. Hawkins is a good backup.

There's no such thing as burning your bridges when it comes to relationships. The late Milton Berle and his wife Joyce divorced and remarried each other four times. This is both a tribute to the blurring of human memory and the willingness to compromise, if each person needs the other.

What if Lawyer told the media that he "acted like a jerk" when the Patriots let him go and that, on reflection, most of what happened was his fault, and that in his heart, he has always had--and continues to have--the greatest respect for the Patriots and affection for BB? How about if he said he eager to return, at any reasonable salary, and to prove he could still be of significant value?

Wouldn't we forgive him, love him and remind each other how hard a hitter he was when he was here?

Lawyer is a punk and he was one of my favorite players when he was here (you can find many pictures of me in my #36 jersey)...

We got rid of the Poston brothers' cancers - Law & Milloy - why would you want them back?

He dissed the organization and ran off to Buffalo with delusions of granduer.

All he got was years of misery of two less rings...

They may not "feed your family", but they sure look nice at the annual party at Robert Kraft's house!

Besides, James Sanders wears #36 now...

rookBoston said:

Amen. We could use a veteran safety. But I do think it's impossible that he'd return to the Pats for short money -- he could surely get a minimum contract elsewhere too, without the intense blow to the pride.

I'm torn on this one.

on the one hand, I think he'd be the perfect fa signing - a veteran talent who can help our secondary hold up til rodney is ready (if ever).

on the other hand he may have burned his bridges and bring a bad attitude.

I'll leave it to BB's judgement. I trust him. If he decides to sign him, I'll be excited. If he doesn't, That'll be ok with me.

I'm not so sure he would bring Lawyer back. One of the problems BB had with Lawyer was attitude, on the field and in the locker room. He was something of a clubhouse lawyer, part of the old culture of entitlement BB had to really work to overcome. Much like Ty, Lawyer was one of the veteran leaders who sipped the koolaid but never really liked it much. But he went along to win - once. He's one of the reasons Richard has such strong convictions about individual respect = $$$.

In Patriot Reign Holley told of the post 2002 season coaches meeting where players are evaluated. When Lawyer's name came up everyone automatically gave him the thumbs up saying while his numbers were down he was still a playmaker. BB challenged them to show him on film one big play Lawyer had made that season. Remarkably they could not, because it was all perception based on the assumption he was a key player. One ring was enough for Lawyer and he lost his drive as much as his skill. He has sdmitted as much from time to time since.

His dropoff coupled with the reality that he was not in fact a good team leader is the reason he is gone. Remember, he and Rodney were redundant, and one was going to have to adjust his game if both played. I think with an appropriate pay cut BB would have kept him for another season to see if Rodney's presence pushed him, but by the end of camp he knew he didn't have to keep him because his replacement was working out to be everything BB had hoped and a bit more, and Lawyer wouldn't budge on the $$$.

I think BB will always be a little sad he couldn't develop a real fondness for koolaid in guys like Lawyer and Ty (and even TJ and Drew). But he couldn't. And because of their former stature I don't think you ever bring those guys back. Down the road in diminished roles, those old resentments can create a killer undercurrent in the clubhouse. Ty had more potential going forward because diminished skills aside the older he's gotten the more self motivated he's become to prove himself regardless of rings or injuries. And leadership was never part of the Ty Law package anyway.

FWIW his close friend Borges says contrary to any public sentiments he expresses from time to time, Ty harbors serious resentment and will never come back here under any circumstances that include BB. I imagine the same could be said for Lawyer. While these guys maintain close off the field ties to their friends on the current team, the workplace dynamic having them back in the locker room would create for those friends (most of whom are now team leaders who have accepted home town discounts and renegotiations or will yet be expected to) would negate any on field contribution they might still be able to make.

DaBruinz...You seem to have this ugly tendancy of insulting and belittling people who disagree with you. It's obnoxious.

I stand by my guns even though I understand what you are saying. Union shmunion..MORE MONEY IS MORE MONEY. I don't care if I make 10 million a year and I'm offered 13 Million I take the Freakin money! Keep in mind also that these guys are 1 play away from the end of a career or worse (See Carson Palmer or Joe Thiesman)

People who say money doesn't buy happiness don't usually have any. I make alot of money (not by NFL standards but still) and you should see the friggin smile on my face come payday lol.

KDPpatsfan said:
I agree.. I think if BB thought he could help he wouldn't hesitate to bring him back.

BB always says that cutting Lawyer was the hardest decision he has made as a coach. In Patriot Reign BB says that Lawyer was selfish and had poor leadership skills. My guess is that he will not be back and neither will Ty Law.

MoLewisrocks said:
I'm not so sure he would bring Lawyer back. One of the problems BB had with Lawyer was attitude, on the field and in the locker room. He was something of a clubhouse lawyer, part of the old culture of entitlement BB had to really work to overcome. Much like Ty, Lawyer was one of the veteran leaders who sipped the koolaid but never really liked it much. But he went along to win - once. He's one of the reasons Richard has such strong convictions about individual respect = $$$.

In Patriot Reign Holley told of the post 2002 season coaches meeting where players are evaluated. When Lawyer's name came up everyone automatically gave him the thumbs up saying while his numbers were down he was still a playmaker. BB challenged them to show him on film one big play Lawyer had made that season. Remarkably they could not, because it was all perception based on the assumption he was a key player. One ring was enough for Lawyer and he lost his drive as much as his skill. He has sdmitted as much from time to time since.

His dropoff coupled with the reality that he was not in fact a good team leader is the reason he is gone. Remember, he and Rodney were redundant, and one was going to have to adjust his game if both played. I think with an appropriate pay cut BB would have kept him for another season to see if Rodney's presence pushed him, but by the end of camp he knew he didn't have to keep him because his replacement was working out to be everything BB had hoped and a bit more, and Lawyer wouldn't budge on the $$$.

I think BB will always be a little sad he couldn't develop a real fondness for koolaid in guys like Lawyer and Ty (and even TJ and Drew). But he couldn't. And because of their former stature I don't think you ever bring those guys back. Down the road in diminished roles, those old resentments can create a killer undercurrent in the clubhouse. Ty had more potential going forward because diminished skills aside the older he's gotten the more self motivated he's become to prove himself regardless of rings or injuries. And leadership was never part of the Ty Law package anyway.

FWIW his close friend Borges says contrary to any public sentiments he expresses from time to time, Ty harbors serious resentment and will never come back here under any circumstances that include BB. I imagine the same could be said for Lawyer. While these guys maintain close off the field ties to their friends on the current team, the workplace dynamic having them back in the locker room would create for those friends (most of whom are now team leaders who have accepted home town discounts and renegotiations or will yet be expected to) would negate any on field contribution they might still be able to make.
The point about veteran players and their influence on the organization was batted around with the Cory Dillon and David Terrel signings. Dillon had a new winning team to join and Terrel had Tommy as a control. Lawyer or Law, I see no internal controls on the type of veteran leadership they would be bringing. Both are talented if aging players, normally the kind BB would snap up at low cost and turn into critical role players. However, both bring baggage from their unhappy departures and both have displayed some public attitude that makes you take a step back and wonder what crawled up their backsides. I'd not be so quick to want them back, talent and experience aside, there is now a third rail for building a winning team, and it's bringing veterans that buy into the system - these two sold their shares for whatever reason before or after their release. :nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case