PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poor Bills- Moving a 2nd game to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Bills average more than 70,000 a game, and they do sellout now. The stadium is perhaps too large, but 70,000 a game ain't bad. Buffalo is top 10 in attendance. If you look at income, they are not at the bottom. Their gross revenues are small, but since Ralph pays nothing for a stadium, gets tax money for its upkeep, they actually do well.

I agree with you that lack of a salary cap will kill Buffalo in the future, but that's a problem for the NFL. You have 32 franchises, some franchises are worse off than Buffalo--Jacksonville, Oakland, Cincinnati, etc.

You're going to find places for these teams to MOVE to. Maybe Toronto is one, though I have my doubts about a stadium that seats 50k MAX. More like in the 40k range.

What about the other teams? Where are they moving to? I think the NFL will have to get used to parity being a thing of the past, because the mega earning teams are now well beyond the half of the league.

Within 45 miles of downtown Buffalo, you still have over 3 million people living here. This doesn't include ANY of the Toronto metro area. That's still a substantial population base.

Even with a sell out, they would need more than twice the games to equal the revenues of tickets by the Pats and about a half dozen other teams. They cannot do that.

As for Wilson getting money from Buffalo, that lease is up in 2012 or 2013. With Buffalo in the dire shape they are in, they may not be willing to foot the bill for upkeep and upgrades like they had in the past. It is not a coincidence that the NFL's commitment to play at least one Bills' game in Toronto ends the same year the Bills' lease does.

As for Toronto, if the Bills move to Toronto, it would no doubt come with Wilson selling the team and the new owner building an NFL caliber stadium in the area. More likely than not, the NFL would provide more than the normal assistance because it fits into their International focus. I am under no illusions that the Rogers Centre would be the Bills' permanent home.

Ralph Wilson plans to sell the team in the next few years because his daughter doesn't want it and there is not enough money in his coffers to pay for the inheritance tax on the team. I think the league is trying to showcase Toronto as a viable location for the team and build fan interest for any prospective buyers.

As for other teams, Los Angeles (probably could support two teams), Mexico City, London, San Antonio, and a few other cities are likely destinations over the years. London may take some time and so would Mexico City.

It would be better for the franchise...Toronto is an incredible city and the longterm benefits of being their far outweigh Buffalo, NY.
On the other hand, I feel bad for Buffalo - the city has nothing to offer. The fans live for the Bills and the only thing worse than having a losing team is no team at all.

You have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, it wasn't long ago til the Pats* were about to move. Secondly, it is a Bs rumor about an internet survey and has already been shot down. Thirdly, my quality of life >>>>> yours

Thirdly, my quality of life >>>>> yours

That's a bold statement to make, especially when you don't know much about the person you're talking to. I've done a bit of consulting in upstate New York, and Buffalo, like most of the other cities up there, is dieing. The rivers lost their importance, and the job market, for the most part, has dried up. There are very few six figure jobs up there, but even if you have one of the few, it's kind of a silly thing to throw in peoples' faces. I was actually offered a job up there running an IT dept, but the wage was over 40% less than I was making at the time (and I was only a consultant). The job market really is pretty bad up there... or at least it was back in 06.

If you're refering to how "rewarding" your life is, and not your "wealth", when saying your quality of life is better, I must admit, I'm more than a little skeptical. Generally people who are satisfied with their lives don't resort to hurlilng such broad statesments like "my quality of life is better than yours" at others. Statements like that are typically rooted in deep insecurities.

That all said, I like the Bills. I've seen a couple of games at Ralph Wilson, and I've had a good time every time. The fans there sure know how to tailgate, and for the most part, (I was only there pre spy-gate), the fans were pretty accepting of the Pats fans there... who were probably higher than 30% of the total atendees.... definitely far more friendly than their counterparts down in the Meadow Lands.

I've also had a blast in Utica a couple of times. They had an Italian restarant that wouldn't be out of place in Boston's North End, and a really fun summer festival (can't remember what it was called). Unfortunately, the beatiful, old buildings downtown were strewn with abandoned, run-down buildings... much like Buffalo and Albany. Although I do like the charm of upstate NY, if weather and income are significant factors in your quality of life formula, upstate NY doesn't rate very high.

Last edited:
There's only 1 pro team that actually plays it's home games in NY and it's the Bills.

True dat. No one in their right mind would ever consider calling the Yankees or the Mets "professional". ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes