PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: Which offensive position should be addressed in 2011 1st?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Which offensive position should be addressed in 2011 1st Round?

• Runningback

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Tightend

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Offensive Tackle

Votes: 28 30.8%
  • Wide Receiver

Votes: 22 24.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I had to chose one on the poll, I would say RB is the obvious choice. They have already added youth at WR (Tate, Edelman, Price) and TE (Gronk, Hernandez) and have three tackles locked up (Volmer, Kazur, and Levoir).

The question I have for the OP is, why didn't you include interior lineman into the discussion? This could be Neal's last year, and Mankins is headed to free agency. If there is a Pouncey type of player in next year's draft I'm sure the Patriots would be interested. If the pick is too high for that position I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading back.

Right now there is no way anyone can say for sure what NE will do. Who performs well this season on the Pats, who enters the 2011 draft, who gets injured, could all have an effect on our choices next year. Obviously the RB position is a concern. We do have some young WR's who may pan out. I personally believe that if elite talent on offense falls into our laps (Very possible with Oakland pick) WR or RB we should grab them. Oakland's pick gives u more flexibility to do that. Otherwise I think what will most likely happen is NE will grab the best Defensive or offensive lineman available.

QB

Its obvious. Let him learn behind Brady.

Its the best move.

Right now, there aren't four elite recievers coming out, only three. Julio Jones, AJ Green and Michael Floyd(is that his name right?). AJ Green is, for me, at this point, a number 1 overall talent, that kid is crazy, best prospect in years, much better than Dez Bryant, he's a dream of a player. Julius Jones is an excelnt player, he and Ingram are the Bama offense. and I haven't seen much Michael Floyd play, but he looks like a sure number 1 reciever in the NFL, from what I've seen. Who do you consider the fourth??.

Jonathan Baldwin. 6'5, #225, with over a 40" vertical. Good routes, decent blocker, hard worker. Had better stats than Green, Jones, or Floyd last year across the board--more yards, more touchdowns, more yards per catch. He had several really fantastic games, but his Notre Dame highlights are otherworldy: YouTube - Pitt's WR Jonathan Baldwin highlights vs Notre Dame

He's a Vincent Jackson/Brandon Marshall type player, and could be better than either of them, when it's all said and done. I'm a huge fan.

Even so, I'd prefer to go defense, but this thread is all about offensive positions, which a few posters seem to have overlooked. ;)

If I had to chose one on the poll, I would say RB is the obvious choice. They have already added youth at WR (Tate, Edelman, Price) and TE (Gronk, Hernandez) and have three tackles locked up (Volmer, Kazur, and Levoir).

The question I have for the OP is, why didn't you include interior lineman into the discussion? This could be Neal's last year, and Mankins is headed to free agency. If there is a Pouncey type of player in next year's draft I'm sure the Patriots would be interested. If the pick is too high for that position I'm sure they wouldn't mind trading back.

Not only is there a "Pouncey type player" in next year's draft, there is a Pouncey in next year's draft. His twin brother Mike shifted from guard to center after Maurkice declared for the NFL. Pretty sweet, huh?

I think we grab Seymour's replacement with our first pick. With the 2nd first rounder, we'll probably trade down, pick up a pick in 2012 and then select a RB. I can see our next pick being a OT and then with our last second rounder, we'll trade down and then pick up a WR, LB, or DT (depending on which young players/positions develop or need the most help).

We need to see how this years pans out first, lots of questions.

Last edited:
Seen as though this is pretty much a hypothetical thread, if your saying theres a big talent at every position in the poll available at the Pats pick, then I'd be inclined to go O-Line.

Go to be strong up front, protect the crown. Back's, TE's and recievers can be picked up later.

As there are two picks in this round, and assuming that we keep those two picks.. would have to go O tackle and then either the best available WR or RB... there are also two 2nd round picks.. would envision that they would move away from D picks for a while.

Not sure would ever take a RB with the first pick, as it is such a crapshoot...

Last edited:
Not to be a pain in the butt but in my opinion this whole thread is moot- given the talent coming out at 3/4 End and OLB very little chance we go offense with either first round pick. However, if were to go offense- I'd say WR if one of the elites drops to Oakland's pick.

What he said !!!!

Depending on where the Raiders pick is, it'll be DE/OLB or an elite OT.

The Patriots pick will be a RB hopefully DeMarco Murray is there.

If our WRs pan out, I don't think we'll draft the big four.

2011 WR Core: Welker, Tate, Edelman ,Price.

Trading down.

Then D-line/O-line, wr, rb in that order.

right defensive end, right offensive tackle, outside linebacker, RB, WR, in that order

Just curious, why were those 4 positions chosen?

To me the biggest concern going forward on offense is not listed (C,G). Of the choices I'd have to pick WR, unless Tate and/or Price prove as viable options.

Isnt it obvious yet?? 2 more Cornerbacks!!:rolleyes:

This is the reason why I chose RB, too. Out of the positions listed, RB is the most unstable going into 2011. Except for Kevin Faulk (who has been a remarkable player for a long time, and who has aged very well and seems to have slowed only slightly), we absolutely must have at least 3 new players here, incl. a true FB/short-yardage Back. And while I agree that RB is one of the few (only?) plug & play positions on our offense, the almost complete lack of bodies going into 2011 precipitates the need to draft early & often.

I also agree that interior line should have been an option for the poll. As of now, we have one Guard who will be a UFA after this season; another Guard who is almost guaranteed to miss at least a quarter of the season before he seeks retirement; and a Center whose physical akills have declined to the point where his "system knowledge" can no longer compensate for his increasing ineffectiveness. And those are the good players. Behind them are nothing but question marks & crap. If the other Pouncey proves as good a player as Maurkice, then he should be given very, very serious consideration with one of the 1st-rounders.

RB seems doubtful to me. The RBBC doesn't really require a 1st round talent to be effective. And I think there may yet be a move coming at the position this off-season to shore things up a bit. HOWEVER, if the 2011 RB class isn't very deep, OR, if there's a guy who looks (to BB) like a future HoFer . . .

WR probably depends on how well the current corps performs this season. If they do very well, it seems more likely that BB might take a chance on trying to pick the next Randy Moss (developmental project) in the 1st round. If they don't perform particularly well it seems more likely that BB will go for another accomplished route-runner with decent hands and blocking skills in a later round. Again, though, it depends on the depth of the WR class.

OT seems most likely of the poll choices. Both Light and Kaczur will need replacing very soon and, so far, only Vollmer seems capable of playing at a sufficiently high level to start. So, we need another very good prospect.

All-in-all, though, I tend to agree with those who predict some trading down and those who suggest that other positions might be higher priorities. We may still be searching for help at DE, DT OLB and even Safety.

Unless Oakland have a nightmare and we can realistically go after Quinn or Heyward then its a trade down (and down and into 2012)

However if its clear Moss is done by the end of this year and he leaves then I think we'd be at least looking at one of those top tier WR's

I suspect we look towards the OL next year esp C/RG/RT if some of these young guys dont look like stepping up

On paper a great group of junior WR may be available in the 2011 draft:

Michael Floyd, Notre Dame (6-3, 220)
A.J. Green, Georgia (6-4, 205)
Julio Jones, Alabama (6-4, 212)
Jonathan Baldwin, Pittsburgh (6-5, 225)

Pats should come away with at least one of them (depending on their performance this year and whether we sign Moss or not) with their first four picks. More than anything else the Pats need to prepare for Moss's successor.

RB will be a need; not sure whether they will expend a first on a RB -- maybe a second round pick.

Don't dismiss a QB for the post Brady era. Again much depends on Brady's performance and contract this year.

RB seems doubtful to me. The RBBC doesn't really require a 1st round talent to be effective. And I think there may yet be a move coming at the position this off-season to shore things up a bit. HOWEVER, if the 2011 RB class isn't very deep, OR, if there's a guy who looks (to BB) like a future HoFer . . .

WR probably depends on how well the current corps performs this season. If they do very well, it seems more likely that BB might take a chance on trying to pick the next Randy Moss (developmental project) in the 1st round. If they don't perform particularly well it seems more likely that BB will go for another accomplished route-runner with decent hands and blocking skills in a later round. Again, though, it depends on the depth of the WR class.

OT seems most likely of the poll choices. Both Light and Kaczur will need replacing very soon and, so far, only Vollmer seems capable of playing at a sufficiently high level to start. So, we need another very good prospect.

All-in-all, though, I tend to agree with those who predict some trading down and those who suggest that other positions might be higher priorities. We may still be searching for help at DE, DT OLB and even Safety.

That will depend entirely on whether or not a glut of Juniors declare for the draft like last year. That's tough to gauge, hopefully a lot of them play well and the now Seniors play poorly inflating the value of the underclassmen so they have a greater incentive to declare.

I've been thinking about this and it seems like a foregone conclusion that if there is football in 2011, there will be a Rookie Wage Scale. The logistics behind it are gruesome, watching the NFLPA fight tooth and nail to at least maintain the top picks come away with top FA money is going to be ugly, but if the wage scale makes the potential RBs cheaper and cost controlled for longer, there is a very good chance that Belichick will have to re-evaluate the RBBC strategy knowing that the top flight talent is cheaper. I think that's what made Corey Dillon so attractive back in 2004. His base salary was low, he had enough gas left in the tank to be a feature back, and with our O-Line he put up one the best seasons for a RB in Patriots history and we won the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes