PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian takes swipe at Pats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand this thinking at all. None of this stuff matters? Super Bowls don't "matter" either. Championship titles don't affect us except for bragging rights in a bar. To the extent sports matter, something like 19-0 matters a lot. Some team wins a Super Bowl every year--theoretically, the team that wins the Super Bowl could suck.

We can't argue that with Colts fans as they have no ammo if count SBs :) We can even beat them when we take SBs out.

Last edited:
Re: Polian takes swipe at pats..

16-0 means absolutely nothing.
When you are an elite team, its all about the Lombardi Trophy and nothing else matters.
That said, Polian is a disturbed little man.

That's your opinion. I happen to think going an undefeated 16 - 0 in the regular season and 18 - 1 for the year is quite meaningful and something to be damn proud of. I'm so sick and tired of you pinkhat frontrunners dumbing down the accomplishments of 2007. The damn undefeated Dolphins never won 18 games in a row in one season.
The lack of appreciation coming from Patriot fans for what that team did in 2007 MAKES ME SICK.

That's your opinion. I happen to think going an undefeated 16 - 0 in the regular season and 18 - 1 for the year is quite meaningful and something to be damn proud of. I'm so sick and tired of you pinkhat frontrunners dumbing down the accomplishments of 2007. The damn undefeated Dolphins never won 18 games in a row in one season.
The lack of appreciation coming from Patriot fans for what that team did in 2007 MAKES ME SICK.

Well said.

If you can't appreciate the 2007 season for what it was, you're not a real fan and you can GTFO the bandwagon now, thanks.

I agree with RhodyPatriot, althought not as aggressively. :D

I can appreciate the mantra of keeping the eye on the prize, the Super Bowl championship. That it's good the players and coaches emphasize this. But we're entitled to enjoy their journey towards that goal, too.

2007 leaves a bitter taste in the mouth because of how it ended, but we'd be remiss not to appreciate the joyride that season was. Granted, it felt a little more personal because of the sideline camera controversy BS, but still, every win leading up to Super Bowl 42 felt more and more satisfying. I'll always appreciate the effort, and the opportunity to witness something historic, even if it didn't come to be.

They'll never admit to it, but you had fans of 31 other NFL teams envious of the position we were in that Sunday morning, with a chance to be the only 19-0 team in history. They certainly didn't envy us the next morning, but I'll be damned if I didn't forget how close we came. That was a truly special season.

As a guy who remembers the Steve Grogan/John Hannah/Russ Francis days, I love you guys calling me a band wagon fan. I make a pilgrimage to Foxborough every year from Toronto and have done so since 1981. Because I don't share your perspective on the importance of a 16-0 season, you call me a band wagoner and swear at me. Ok boys, you've got it all figured out. My mistake!!

As a guy who remembers the Steve Grogan/John Hannah/Russ Francis days, I love you guys calling me a band wagon fan. I make a pilgrimage to Foxborough every year from Toronto and have done so since 1981. Because I don't share your perspective on the importance of a 16-0 season, you call me a band wagoner and swear at me. Ok boys, you've got it all figured out. My mistake!!

Bandwagon is an attitude, not a measure of time invested.

You've got to be kidding dude!! You've just got to be kidding!

I agree with RhodyPatriot, althought not as aggressively. :D

I can appreciate the mantra of keeping the eye on the prize, the Super Bowl championship. That it's good the players and coaches emphasize this. But we're entitled to enjoy their journey towards that goal, too.

2007 leaves a bitter taste in the mouth because of how it ended, but we'd be remiss not to appreciate the joyride that season was. Granted, it felt a little more personal because of the sideline camera controversy BS, but still, every win leading up to Super Bowl 42 felt more and more satisfying. I'll always appreciate the effort, and the opportunity to witness something historic, even if it didn't come to be.

They'll never admit to it, but you had fans of 31 other NFL teams envious of the position we were in that Sunday morning, with a chance to be the only 19-0 team in history. They certainly didn't envy us the next morning, but I'll be damned if I didn't forget how close we came. That was a truly special season.

all that said...they went for it for which iam grateful.iam stunned by analysts like jamie dukes who keep saying undefeated doesnt mean anything ..look at the patriots in 07. As if the pats lost the SB because 18-0 and not because of a crappy game+giants defense.
How is going 18-0 to the SB a recipe for disaster. ? i can never find the correlation.

For what it's worth, I was puzzled by the bandwagon charge too.

But I do wonder--in a non-hostile way!--about why you think 19-0 doesn't matter. Isn't history, perfection, really worthy of going after? After all, sports don't really "matter" either, if you think about it. Plenty of good people don't follow sports at all (hard as it is to believe.)

I go back to the Grogan days too, btw.....scary that it's starting to seem so long ago....

It all comes down to this:

16-0 does not mean much.

19-0 is a figure like .406 or 714 or 755 or 60 or 61* or 12/07/1941 or 9/11. It's something that would be a cultural touchstone in American history.

Polian is being very lawyer-like in trying to frame the argument to "what 16-0 means" versus the real issue - - "What 19-0 would have meant".

Polian is having to explain away why his organization gave up a chance at immortality. He'll have to explain that to the day he dies.

And THAT is what last Sunday meant.

It all comes down to this:

16-0 does not mean much.

19-0 is a figure like .406 or 714 or 755 or 60 or 61* or 12/07/1941 or 9/11. It's something that would be a cultural touchstone in American history.

Polian is being very lawyer-like in trying to frame the argument to "what 16-0 means" versus the real issue - - "What 19-0 would have meant".

Polian is having to explain away why his organization gave up a chance at immortality. He'll have to explain that to the day he dies.

And THAT is what last Sunday meant.

What he said....

I have no problem with 16-0 especially if it leads to 19-0. Ours did not. That's the way it goes sometimes. This is football where on any given Sunday....
I loved the 2007 season. I was happy that we went for 16-0. But I would have understood completely if we had done what the Colts did on Sunday, with a game or two left in the 2007 season.

Well said.

If you can't appreciate the 2007 season for what it was, you're not a real fan and you can GTFO the bandwagon now, thanks.

"If you can't appreciate the 2007 season for what it was, you're not a real fan and you can GTFO the bandwagon now, thanks."

Joined in 12/2007 - - at the very end of the Patriots' perfect season????

And you're calling someone ELSE a bandwaggoner????

THAT gets a good laugh.

You're bullying of another fan gets you 5 infraction points and a warning not to do it again.

Last edited:
Polian is on the hot seat and is getting hammered everywhere he turns. I'm positive that he did not expect this negative backlash and he's scrambling to spin this into such a way that some of the heat gets deflected away from the entire organization.
As someone who detests both him and the the team he works for, I hope this whole thing blows up in his face and morphs into something even worse for the team than it already is.

For what it's worth, I was puzzled by the bandwagon charge too.

But I do wonder--in a non-hostile way!--about why you think 19-0 doesn't matter. Isn't history, perfection, really worthy of going after? After all, sports don't really "matter" either, if you think about it. Plenty of good people don't follow sports at all (hard as it is to believe.)

I go back to the Grogan days too, btw.....scary that it's starting to seem so long ago....

I don't recall Belize saying 19-0 was not meaningful. He said 16-0 was not meaningful. There's a difference between the two.

The one and only good thing that all this Polian criticism my accomplish is forcing the Colts to rest again this week, and then have a bye week. And then after 3 weeks without a game, come out in the playoffs and blow (as usual).

I have no problem with 16-0 especially if it leads to 19-0. Ours did not. That's the way it goes sometimes. This is football where on any given Sunday....
I loved the 2007 season. I was happy that we went for 16-0. But I would have understood completely if we had done what the Colts did on Sunday, with a game or two left in the 2007 season.

Do you honestly think the Patriots would have won the SB had they tanked a game at the end of the 2007 season??
It's funny how many Patriot fans take that for a given. Not me!!
IMO the Patriots lost the SB not because the pressure of undefeated got to them but because they peaked too soon and played their best football before December that year.
Tanking a game at the end of '07 would have taken the edge completely off that team, a team that wasn't playing all that well at the end of that season.
If BB tanks a game at the end of the 2007 season I believe the Chargers would have beaten us in that very close AFC championship game and we'd have never made the SB.

Last edited:

you're not a real fan and you can GTFO the bandwagon now, thanks.

A bandwagon fan would be on a bandwagon. If they GTFO (so well put, btw) the bandwagon, they wouldn't be a bandwagon fan.

I don't recall Belize saying 19-0 was not meaningful. He said 16-0 was not meaningful. There's a difference between the two.

He said "its all about the Lombardi Trophy and nothing else matters." And I see just above he says he understands why the Colts stopped playing. I don't understand that mentality at all.

To clarify my position, I think that 16-0 was a wonderful season. But to me (and I can only speak for myself) the ending was absolute torture. I could barely speak for about a week after the Superbowl. 2007 was a season that brings up some heavy emotions for me. And not just because of the loss at the Superbowl. The whole Spygate crap helped dampen my enjoyment of that season. I say this because of the constant abuse the media dumped on the team, the crap I got hit with at every opportunity from friends, clients, etc. I cannot count the number of times I had to defend the Pats that year, both from other fans as well as from people who had no interest in football whatsoever. Everyone who knows me or knows of me, knows I am a die hard Pats fan and everyone had an opinion, thanks in large part to an irresponsible commissioner and a pitifully lazy 5th Estate. I was happy to tell people to piss off and I gave it back good and hard. The Pats are my team, in spite of what a couple of newbies on this board might say.
2007 was an unusual year, on a couple of fronts. And not all of it was great! (Just my opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News