PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Podcast: Brandon Tate interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I have a proven track record.

Brandon Tate, however, has a lot to prove after testing poz at the Combine and then blowing off a Patriots offseason event. You have to be smart to play in the Patriots system, but how smart can you be if you know are going to drug tested at the Combine and you still toke up? Not smart at all. He didn't exactly sound like a rocket scientist in the interview either.

He has to prove that he is not just another Patriots WR throw-away pick. So far it does not look good. Bill should be prevented from ever picking a WR early; he is a master at picking up FA WRs, but not drafting.
First I've heard of Tate blowing off an OTA, other than Rookie camp he spent his time with the Trainers.

Ha, we will see. Let's if he sticks around if PUP'ed.

As far as gambles on WRs, the 7'th round is a good place for gambles, i.e. Givens. Givens was greatly under appreciated by the fans; he was a clutch 4'd down WR.

Here, you only have a track record of pre judging a kid who made a stupid mistake.

I stand by what I said. He has to prove that it was a stupid mistake, not a pattern of idiocy. I am sure that Beichick has told him something similar.

Big WRs have a sense of entitlement, encouraged, no doubt, by fans ready to look the other way. Apparently enabling fans are on this group also.

The reason i am excited about Tate is because he can possibly resurrect our intermediate passing game to the way they were under Charlie Weis. Tate is not overly fast but he is strong and quick enough to create seperation. Looking at him, i envision him playing a role very similar to David Givens= working the intermediate routes 15-20 yards and catching the occasional deep ball.

If you haven't noticed our intermediate passing game is basically gone. I am not talking about those five yard catches that turn into 15 yard gains. Other than Gaffney, we had no real quality reciever that could run an intermediate post over the middle of the field for the past 2-3 seasons. And i drop everything Watson hasn't been up to par catching the type of passes that used to be thrown to Givens.

Lastly, do you guys remember the way Brady would hike the ball and instantly throw is to the receiver like a bubble screen, but they had no blockers and it would be up to the receiver to beat the corner back in front of him for like five or so yards. It kind of felt like the Pats patented that move by how effective it was especially to Givens and Branch. They also did hard slants much like the way Greenbay does it and it worked because Givens was very physical and often stiff armed his man while Branch often juked by his. The Pats tried this with Moss before, but as gifted as he is, he did not possess the needed elusiveness to pull it off and when they tried this to welker it did not fool the defense because he always has someone close to him because he is not usually a deep threat. I am hoping they can bring this back with Tate since he is a deep threat and he was the nation's top punt and kick returner. This is why I am hoping he doesn't disappoint my expectations. His skill set along with Brady's accuracy, barring injury, should bring great things to come for this offense.

I would love to hear other thoughts on how you think he will fit in this offense.

Poor Fred...

With only 26 posts, none that add any insight to the conversation.

Already getting into fights with veterans posters. Called out for making stuff up. And his post not only don't seem to be improving they seem to be getting more and more trollish.

I have to say the outlook for Tate is much better than for Fred.

Already getting into fights with veterans posters. Called out for making stuff up. And his post not only don't seem to be improving they seem to be getting more and more trollish.

Cant everyone be me

Patience, they can't all be from Virginia and full blooded Sioux aboriginals (which is a truly great comfort to know). Fred's passion is no less than many veteran posters, I'll give him more time, heaven knows I benefited from the patience of veteran posters when I started. :D

The reason i am excited about Tate is because he can possibly resurrect our intermediate passing game to the way they were under Charlie Weis. Tate is not overly fast but he is strong and quick enough to create seperation. Looking at him, i envision him playing a role very similar to David Givens= working the intermediate routes 15-20 yards and catching the occasional deep ball.

If you haven't noticed our intermediate passing game is basically gone. I am not talking about those five yard catches that turn into 15 yard gains. Other than Gaffney, we had no real quality reciever that could run an intermediate post over the middle of the field for the past 2-3 seasons. And i drop everything Watson hasn't been up to par catching the type of passes that used to be thrown to Givens.

Lastly, do you guys remember the way Brady would hike the ball and instantly throw is to the receiver like a bubble screen, but they had no blockers and it would be up to the receiver to beat the corner back in front of him for like five or so yards. It kind of felt like the Pats patented that move by how effective it was especially to Givens and Branch. They also did hard slants much like the way Greenbay does it and it worked because Givens was very physical and often stiff armed his man while Branch often juked by his. The Pats tried this with Moss before, but as gifted as he is, he did not possess the needed elusiveness to pull it off and when they tried this to welker it did not fool the defense because he always has someone close to him because he is not usually a deep threat. I am hoping they can bring this back with Tate since he is a deep threat and he was the nation's top punt and kick returner. This is why I am hoping he doesn't disappoint my expectations. His skill set along with Brady's accuracy, barring injury, should bring great things to come for this offense.

I would love to hear other thoughts on how you think he will fit in this offense.
That quick hitter out to the sideline is predicated on the QB and WR being inside each other's heads, and the CB giving up a big cushion. Tommy has run that well with many of his WRs, including Randy, but I'd say we see it less because the Bubble screen has forced teams to play tighter - which helps Randy get behind the defense a little easier. Trade-offs, they make life interesting.

I haven't seen Tate play, so I decline to project how he'd fit in the offense, but if he can bring back D-Giv's precision and physicality, :woohoo:.

Patience, they can't all be from Virginia and full blooded Sioux aboriginals (which is a truly great comfort to know). Fred's passion is no less than many veteran posters, I'll give him more time, heaven knows I benefited from the patience of veteran posters when I started. :D

This is absolutely true, and Fred could snap out of his rookie doldrums and really come on strong. However, pissing and moaning about an obvious 'flier' pick taken in the third round and was pick 5 of 12 is a silly thing to do. As Klecko the Younger demonstrated to us, all the passion in the world doesn't matter if you can't get the job done.

Last edited:
This is absolutely true, and Fred could snap out of his rookie doldrums and really come on strong. However, pissing and moaning about an obvious 'flier' pick taken in the third round and was pick 5 of 12 is a silly thing to do. As Klecko the Younger demonstrated to us, all the passion in the world doesn't matter if you can't get the job done.
If we remove "silly" from our posting options I'd feel quite bereft.

If we remove "silly" from our posting options I'd feel quite bereft.

Well, other words can bring the moderators out, after all. Heck, imagine the mods having to decide whether or not 'vacuous' was a personal slight in context.

Well, other words can bring the moderators out, after all. Heck, imagine the mods having to decide whether or not 'vacuous' was a personal slight in context.
I think you should leave PATSNUTme out of this. :snob:

You wanna place a wager on that? I suspect he will be cut in three years.

Long odds on him; he was a gamble that the blogger seems to love. I don't know what this obsession is with big WRs but all the Patriots blogs seem to have starry-eye fans lusting after the next big WR sensation. But the reality is a little different; for every Randy Moss there are a zillion Charles Rogers. Even among the ones that make it there are a lot of giant egos; senses of entitlement; full length fur coats; and head cases like Terrell Owens. Blecch. The Patriots should stick to FA WRs and stop wasting draft pics on WRs.

I remember all the buzz about Donald Hayes. Tate is also big and slow and you have to also wonder about his mental agility after getting high before the Combine.

Last edited:
No, I have a proven track record.

Brandon Tate, however, has a lot to prove after testing poz at the Combine and then blowing off a Patriots offseason event. You have to be smart to play in the Patriots system, but how smart can you be if you know are going to drug tested at the Combine and you still toke up? Not smart at all. He didn't exactly sound like a rocket scientist in the interview either.

He has to prove that he is not just another Patriots WR throw-away pick. So far it does not look good. Bill should be prevented from ever picking a WR early; he is a master at picking up FA WRs, but not drafting.

Fred makes some good points ... I had taken Tate off my list of players the Patriots might draft because of the stupidity of failing the drug test at the combine. No question, Tate was a 1st round talent before his knee injury ( he was better than Hakeem Nicks who was taken in by NYG in the 1st). Tate doesn't sound intelligent and if I remember correctly, he did very poorly on the wonderlic test.

With all that said ... I still hope that he succeeds, is ready to go for the 1st game because a return man, he is very dangerous!!! Perhaps he has that "football smarts" and instinct that you just can't teach!

Great to hear from you Mark. Post more often.

-phil

I stand by what I said. He has to prove that it was a stupid mistake, not a pattern of idiocy. I am sure that Beichick has told him something similar.

Big WRs have a sense of entitlement, encouraged, no doubt, by fans ready to look the other way. Apparently enabling fans are on this group also.

You are aware the BB has taken on plenty of problem children, right? Most of them were problem children whose problems were a lot bigger than taking a couple of bong rips.

And, from the North Carolina highlights I caught (when I was actually watching for Hakeem Nicks, lol), Tate caught my eye more than his counterpart on the other side of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes